Shane Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> Shane Williams wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's the "failed for the last 4 hours" message...
>>>
>>> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>>> ... while talking to mx.junkemailfilter.com.:
>>> <<< 550-REJECTED - 70.112.27.10 is blacklisted at
>>> hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com
>>> <<< 550 (127.0.0.2); 70.112.27.10
>>> ... while talking to mx.junkemailfilter.net.:
>>> <<< 550-REJECTED - 70.112.27.10 is blacklisted at
>>> hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com
>>> <<< 550 (127.0.0.2); 70.112.27.10
>>> ... while talking to mx.junkemailfilter.org.:
>>> <<< 451 Temporary local problem - please try later
>>> ... while talking to dummy1.junkemailfilter.com.:
>>> <<< 451 Temporary local problem - please try later
>>> ... while talking to dummy2.junkemailfilter.com.:
>>> <<< 451 Temporary local problem - please try later
>>> ... while talking to dummy3.junkemailfilter.com.:
>>> <<< 451 Temporary local problem - please try later
>>> ... while talking to dummy4.junkemailfilter.com.:
>>> <<< 451 Temporary local problem - please try later
>>> ... Deferred: 451 Temporary local problem - please
>>> try later

>> ok - that's a different IP and that IP is blocked on my list and 4
>> other lists. Based on your logs it doesn't look like it give up after
>> a 550 error. I think you have a spam problem.

> This is a personal mail server, so I know exactly who sends mail on
> it, and "we" don't have a spam problem (unless you mean all the spam
> we're fighting to keep out). Of course, since it's a dynamic address,
> I can't be certain that other users of this address haven't sent spam,
> but as others have pointed out, the only other blacklists 70.112.27.10
> is listed on are dynamic or dialup lists only, so there's no
> indication that it's been a previous spam source.
>
> So, unless you're intending to block dynamic IPs as part of your
> method, I'd say this is a false-positive situation.

Shane - your listing has nothing to do with dynamic IPs. The way you got
listed is that your server hit my high MX records when all of my lower
MX records were working. What I'm still investigating is why that
happened. And it's a problem I intend to fix because I don't want any
false positives in the list. Is there any reason your server would try
MX records in an unusual order?