Nvidia MCP61: nfo vs nge - Solaris

This is a discussion on Nvidia MCP61: nfo vs nge - Solaris ; Hi, I am having trouble to get my MCP61 onboard Nvidia ethernet working. Mainboard is Asus M2N, am64. Some of the previous story can be found in this thread: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...7baa29e382c75# Boils down to this: - Downloaded "nfo" driver ( http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/ ...

  1. Nvidia MCP61: nfo vs nge

    Hi,

    I am having trouble to get my MCP61 onboard Nvidia ethernet working.
    Mainboard is Asus M2N, am64.

    Some of the previous story can be found in this thread:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...7baa29e382c75#

    Boils down to this:
    - Downloaded "nfo" driver (http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/
    eng), version 2.6.0. Installed, no errors occured, however interface
    is UP but has no RUNNING flag. No physical activity (Interface LEDs).
    Tried several times, also with Sun support.Did not work out.

    - On 26.10. new nfo - version 2.6.1 released. I treid it, now the
    interface also has a RUNNING flag. But as soon as I try to ping any
    host on my local net the machine locks up & reboots after 2 sec.

    So I assume that the nfo-driver does wok for MCP61 in general, but not
    for my particular implementation (nVidia 430 chipset ).

    - Tried OpenSolaris, nge-driver recognises the NIC. I need to manually
    set the ethernet adress (chipset bug, the MAC address is backwards).

    Is the nge-driver only included in Solaris or jus in OpenSolaris ? How
    do I get the system to use it?
    Other experiences with MCP61 also welcome !

  2. Re: Nvidia MCP61: nfo vs nge

    On Nov 2, 5:48 am, stefan.talkenb...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having trouble to get my MCP61 onboard Nvidia ethernet working.
    > Mainboard is Asus M2N, am64.
    >
    > Some of the previous story can be found in this thread:http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...hread/thread/7...
    >
    > Boils down to this:
    > - Downloaded "nfo" driver (http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/
    > eng), version 2.6.0. Installed, no errors occured, however interface
    > is UP but has no RUNNING flag. No physical activity (Interface LEDs).
    > Tried several times, also with Sun support.Did not work out.
    >
    > - On 26.10. new nfo - version 2.6.1 released. I treid it, now the
    > interface also has a RUNNING flag. But as soon as I try to ping any
    > host on my local net the machine locks up & reboots after 2 sec.
    >
    > So I assume that the nfo-driver does wok for MCP61 in general, but not
    > for my particular implementation (nVidia 430 chipset ).
    > [...]

    We have similar systems (see <http://thadlabs.com/FILES/
    sysconfig.txt>)
    and nfo 2.6.0 worked out-of-the-box for me using the supplied 64-bit
    binary driver, and the RUNNING flag appears on my system. My system
    also has the 430 chipset.

    What version of Solaris are you running? Mine is Solaris 10u5.

+ Reply to Thread