Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today - Solaris ; Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today. http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp /Jorgen...

  1. Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today

    Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today.
    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp
    /Jorgen

  2. Re: Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today

    Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    > Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today.
    > http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp
    > /Jorgen

    X86 (Amd athlon 64) installed perfect.
    The SPARC (U10@480mHz overclocked 440mHz) took 20min.
    Before the jumpstart mounted root, then it's installing fine.
    /Jorgen

    PS. the overclock if you care, U10@440mHz
    ok nvedit
    0: also hidden
    1: d# 480 at-speed
    2:

    ok nvstore
    ok setenv use-nvramrc? true
    ok reset-all
    ok .speed
    ok banner
    Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 480MHz), No Keyboard
    OpenBoot 3.31, 512 MB (50 ns) memory installed, Serial #X0678958.
    Ethernet address 8:0:20:z2:f2:az, Host ID: xxxxxxx.
    DS.

  3. Re: Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today

    Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    > Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    >> Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today.
    >> http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp
    >> /Jorgen

    > X86 (Amd athlon 64) installed perfect.

    Can you confirm the md5sum?

    My download appeared OK, but the sum does not match.

    --
    Ian Collins

  4. Re: Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    >> Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    >>> Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today.
    >>> http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp
    >>> /Jorgen

    >> X86 (Amd athlon 64) installed perfect.

    > Can you confirm the md5sum?
    >
    > My download appeared OK, but the sum does not match.

    they compare for me.
    /opt/csw/bin/gmd5sum sol-10-u6-ga1-sparc-dvd.iso
    0f41bf9c53c0e5a69aef39bec5807d0b sol-10-u6-ga1-sparc-dvd.iso
    /opt/csw/bin/gmd5sum sol-10-u6-ga1-x86-dvd.iso
    ae8e9aa4a1a3f3fd8846a4caef9f09e2 sol-10-u6-ga1-x86-dvd.iso
    From Sun download page
    ae8e9aa4a1a3f3fd8846a4caef9f09e2 sol-10-u6-ga1-x86-dvd.iso
    0f41bf9c53c0e5a69aef39bec5807d0b sol-10-u6-ga1-sparc-dvd.iso
    /Jorgen

  5. Re: Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today

    Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >> Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    >>> X86 (Amd athlon 64) installed perfect.

    >> Can you confirm the md5sum?
    >>
    >> My download appeared OK, but the sum does not match.
    >>

    > they compare for me.
    > /opt/csw/bin/gmd5sum sol-10-u6-ga1-sparc-dvd.iso
    > 0f41bf9c53c0e5a69aef39bec5807d0b sol-10-u6-ga1-sparc-dvd.iso
    > /opt/csw/bin/gmd5sum sol-10-u6-ga1-x86-dvd.iso
    > ae8e9aa4a1a3f3fd8846a4caef9f09e2 sol-10-u6-ga1-x86-dvd.iso
    > From Sun download page
    > ae8e9aa4a1a3f3fd8846a4caef9f09e2 sol-10-u6-ga1-x86-dvd.iso
    > 0f41bf9c53c0e5a69aef39bec5807d0b sol-10-u6-ga1-sparc-dvd.iso

    Thanks Jorgen, it looks like FF3 has struck again. wget time...

    --
    Ian Collins

  6. Re: Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today

    Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    > Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    >> Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today.
    >> http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp
    >> /Jorgen

    > X86 (Amd athlon 64) installed perfect.
    > The SPARC (U10@480mHz overclocked 440mHz) took 20min.
    > Before the jumpstart mounted root, then it's installing fine.
    > /Jorgen
    >
    > PS. the overclock if you care, U10@440mHz
    > ok nvedit
    > 0: also hidden
    > 1: d# 480 at-speed
    > 2:
    >
    > ok nvstore
    > ok setenv use-nvramrc? true
    > ok reset-all
    > ok .speed
    > ok banner
    > Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 480MHz), No Keyboard
    > OpenBoot 3.31, 512 MB (50 ns) memory installed, Serial #X0678958.
    > Ethernet address 8:0:20:z2:f2:az, Host ID: xxxxxxx.
    > DS.

    Hi,

    Downloaded sol-10-u6-ga1-x86-dvd.iso and sol-10-u6-companion-ga-iso.zip
    checked both chksums and they match with those publish by Sun.

    However, I boot from the DVD iso, added the SUNWlsimega driver, then
    select 1, the system fails to detect my Nvidia 8600GTS card switches
    to text mode and takes me through the system identification process.
    When I select "Standard" as opposed to "Flash" install the install
    process says this is not a Solaris CD/DVD but continues to "Upgrade" or
    "Initial" install option. Selecting "Upgrade" and it indicates that it
    can not read the /cdrom.

    I wrote the DVD with cdrecord and it did not report any errors during
    the writing process. I have attempting to upgrade a Dual Opteron 2218 on
    a Supermicro H8DAE-2 motherboard.

    Any suggestions?

  7. Re: Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today

    "Jorgen Moquist" wrote in message
    > Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today.
    > http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp
    > /Jorgen

    No Solaris 10 ICH9R drivers, arg.

  8. Re: Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today

    In article <490c7938$0$506$5a6aecb4@news.aaisp.net.uk>,
    Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    >> I wrote the DVD with cdrecord and it did not report any errors during
    >> the writing process. I have attempting to upgrade a Dual Opteron 2218 on
    >> a Supermicro H8DAE-2 motherboard.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    >dd the image back off the DVD and compare it with what you downloaded.

    Be careful, at least with DVD+, you will always read back
    a multiple of the physical sector size (32 kB). If you
    compare MD5 sums, you will get different results.

    If you use cmp, you will get a message: "file ... is longer than..."

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  9. Re: Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today

    Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    > Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today.
    > http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp
    > /Jorgen

    Upgraded my 32bit pc asus Solaris 10 u5. to u6.
    booted dvd, update 2h. (ufs) rebooted fine & and im online !
    /Jorgen

  10. Re: Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today

    Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    > Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    >> Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today.
    >> http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp
    >> /Jorgen

    > Upgraded my 32bit pc asus Solaris 10 u5. to u6.
    > booted dvd, update 2h. (ufs) rebooted fine & and im online !

    Migration to ZFS works well, including moving zone roots to the root pool.

    Well worth the wait!

    --
    Ian Collins

  11. Re: Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today

    solx wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > dd'ed the image back from the DVD and compared the file size which were
    > identical so used "digest -a md5" on both the image of the dvd and the
    > downloaded iso image the checksums were identical to that published by
    > Sun!
    >
    > Checking out the release notes, their is a driver enhancement for the
    > Nvidia ck804/mcp55 SATA Controller Driver which my DVD SATA drives are
    > connected too. Could this be a SATA DVD drive issue I am booting off
    > a NEC/Sony SATA DVD.

    My guess is the issues with SATA DVD drives (introduced with the
    enhanced driver) that plagued SXCE where not fixed in time for this
    release, so SATA DVD drives may not work with the mcp55.

    Try an IDE drive.

    --
    Ian Collins

  12. Re: Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > solx wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> dd'ed the image back from the DVD and compared the file size which were
    >> identical so used "digest -a md5" on both the image of the dvd and the
    >> downloaded iso image the checksums were identical to that published by
    >> Sun!
    >>
    >> Checking out the release notes, their is a driver enhancement for the
    >> Nvidia ck804/mcp55 SATA Controller Driver which my DVD SATA drives are
    >> connected too. Could this be a SATA DVD drive issue I am booting off
    >> a NEC/Sony SATA DVD.

    > My guess is the issues with SATA DVD drives (introduced with the
    > enhanced driver) that plagued SXCE where not fixed in time for this
    > release, so SATA DVD drives may not work with the mcp55.
    >
    > Try an IDE drive.

    Is it possible to install a later version of the driver to fix this problem?

  13. Re: Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today

    solx wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >> solx wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> dd'ed the image back from the DVD and compared the file size which were
    >>> identical so used "digest -a md5" on both the image of the dvd and the
    >>> downloaded iso image the checksums were identical to that published by
    >>> Sun!
    >>>
    >>> Checking out the release notes, their is a driver enhancement for the
    >>> Nvidia ck804/mcp55 SATA Controller Driver which my DVD SATA drives are
    >>> connected too. Could this be a SATA DVD drive issue I am booting off
    >>> a NEC/Sony SATA DVD.

    >> My guess is the issues with SATA DVD drives (introduced with the
    >> enhanced driver) that plagued SXCE where not fixed in time for this
    >> release, so SATA DVD drives may not work with the mcp55.
    >>
    >> Try an IDE drive.
    >>

    > Is it possible to install a later version of the driver to fix this
    > problem?

    I doubt it. Try an IDE dive to verify the problem then if you have
    support, file bug against Solaris 10. If not and you don't require
    Solaris 10, use SXCE.

    --
    Ian Collins

  14. Re: Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today

    Hi,

    It works fine in VirtualBox.... where do you file a bug?

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > solx wrote:
    >> Ian Collins wrote:

    >>> My guess is the issues with SATA DVD drives (introduced with the
    >>> enhanced driver) that plagued SXCE where not fixed in time for this
    >>> release, so SATA DVD drives may not work with the mcp55.
    >>>
    >>> Try an IDE drive.
    >>>

    >> Is it possible to install a later version of the driver to fix this
    >> problem?

    > I doubt it. Try an IDE dive to verify the problem then if you have
    > support, file bug against Solaris 10. If not and you don't require
    > Solaris 10, use SXCE.

  15. Talking Re: Solaris 10 10/08 update 6 is released today

    now is up to U8

    http://fixunix.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
    More and more people come to China to study, live and work.
    Just download the software
    to your PC ,and learn the Chinese. It's Free!:-)

+ Reply to Thread