Solaris 10 05/08 e1000g problem - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 05/08 e1000g problem - Solaris ; Hi everyone, I have just built a new system and installed Solaris 10 x86 05/08. The system has an Intel e1000g PCIx1 NIC. The system plumbs the interface just fine and the ifconfig and netstat info on the interface look ...

  1. Solaris 10 05/08 e1000g problem

    Hi everyone,

    I have just built a new system and installed Solaris 10
    x86 05/08. The system has an Intel e1000g PCIx1 NIC.

    The system plumbs the interface just fine and the ifconfig
    and netstat info on the interface look ok, but it will
    not transmit or receive.

    When using snoop, I can see what looks like packets trying
    to leave (ie. DNS query) but if I look at snoop from another
    system you never actually see the data hit the wire.

    It's like the OS/driver thinks everything is OK, but the NIC
    wont put/get anything to the wire.

    If I unplug the cable, the system logs a message that the
    cable was unplugged. If I plug it back in, I get a message
    that states the cable was plugged in an a 100/Full link is made.
    But still no traffic ever makes it to the wire.

    So, any ideas as to why the system seems to configure the
    interface correctly, can tell when the link is broken/established,
    but cannot transmit or receive from the wire?

    I know the cable/switch are ok because when I hook my laptop
    to the same cable, it works just fine.

    I have applied the latest e1000g driver (137293-02).

    Thanks to all in advance.
    -Michael

  2. Re: Solaris 10 05/08 e1000g problem

    On 30 Oct, 07:57, mich...@mck.net.com wrote:
    > If I unplug the cable, the system logs a message that the
    > cable was unplugged. *If I plug it back in, I get a message
    > that states the cable was plugged in an a 100/Full link is made. *
    > But still no traffic ever makes it to the wire.
    >
    > So, *any ideas as to why the system seems to configure the
    > interface correctly, can tell when the link is broken/established,
    > but cannot transmit or receive from the wire?
    >
    > I know the cable/switch are ok because when I hook my laptop
    > to the same cable, it works just fine.
    >
    > I have applied the latest e1000g driver (137293-02).

    What is the switch port set to? What kind of switch is it? Cisco? I'd
    check that both are set to auto-neg. I've seen problems where the
    switch is forced / the card is autoneg and syncs to 100 full but
    doesn't like it. Have you tried you laptop directly into the back of
    card via cross-over? Try forcing both the card & switch to 100 full as
    some older Cisco switches make a mess of autoneg.

    If everyting looks OK you could have a dodgy card.

  3. Re: Solaris 10 05/08 e1000g problem

    In comp.unix.solaris michael@mck.net.com wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have just built a new system and installed Solaris 10
    > x86 05/08. The system has an Intel e1000g PCIx1 NIC.
    >
    > The system plumbs the interface just fine and the ifconfig
    > and netstat info on the interface look ok, but it will
    > not transmit or receive.
    >
    > When using snoop, I can see what looks like packets trying
    > to leave (ie. DNS query) but if I look at snoop from another
    > system you never actually see the data hit the wire.
    >
    > It's like the OS/driver thinks everything is OK, but the NIC
    > wont put/get anything to the wire.
    >
    > If I unplug the cable, the system logs a message that the
    > cable was unplugged. If I plug it back in, I get a message
    > that states the cable was plugged in an a 100/Full link is made.
    > But still no traffic ever makes it to the wire.
    >
    > So, any ideas as to why the system seems to configure the
    > interface correctly, can tell when the link is broken/established,
    > but cannot transmit or receive from the wire?
    >
    > I know the cable/switch are ok because when I hook my laptop
    > to the same cable, it works just fine.

    But is the card good?

  4. Re: Solaris 10 05/08 e1000g problem

    michael - sounds suspiciopusly like an issue we have just had.

    does the interface9s) show in ifconfig as nge ?

    If so, we were told by Sun to install latest SunOS 5.10_x86: nge
    patch, 127891-03

    installation requires a reboot afterwards.

    caveat emptor etc!

    ian

  5. Re: Solaris 10 05/08 e1000g problem

    Hello everyone,

    Just wanted to let you know that the problem
    seems to have been fixed in the 10/08 release
    of Solaris 10.

    I didnt make any other changes except to upgrade
    to the 10/08 release and wa-la... it worked as
    expected.

    Thanks again to you all for your assistance.
    -Michael

+ Reply to Thread