dealing with DVD/RAM - Solaris

This is a discussion on dealing with DVD/RAM - Solaris ; Hi, Please I need to know if I can deal with DVD/RAM in Solaris 10 as windows or not . For example Can I execute cp command to a DVD/RAM ? What programs that I can have to accomplish that ...

  1. dealing with DVD/RAM

    Hi,
    Please I need to know if I can deal with DVD/RAM in Solaris 10 as
    windows or not .
    For example Can I execute cp command to a DVD/RAM ? What programs that
    I can have to accomplish that task ?

  2. Re: dealing with DVD/RAM

    happytoday wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Please I need to know if I can deal with DVD/RAM in Solaris 10 as
    > windows or not .
    > For example Can I execute cp command to a DVD/RAM ? What programs that
    > I can have to accomplish that task ?

    I don't know about 10, but they work transparently in Solaris Express /
    OpenSolaris.

    --
    Ian Collins

  3. Re: dealing with DVD/RAM

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > happytoday wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> Please I need to know if I can deal with DVD/RAM in Solaris 10 as
    >> windows or not .
    >> For example Can I execute cp command to a DVD/RAM ? What programs that
    >> I can have to accomplish that task ?

    > I don't know about 10, but they work transparently in Solaris Express /
    > OpenSolaris.

    Pre. Solaris 10 i used growisofs with "dvd+rw-tools"
    /Jorgen

    $ man growisofs
    growisofs 5.20 1
    Maintenance Commands GROWISOFS(1m)

    NAME
    growisofs - combined mkisofs frontend/DVD recording program.

    SYNOPSIS
    growisofs [-dry-run] [-dvd-compat] [-overburn] [-speed=1]
    -[Z|M] /dev/dvd

    DESCRIPTION
    growisofs was originally designed as a frontend to mkisofs
    to facilitate appending of data to ISO9660 volumes residing
    on random-access media such as DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, plain files,
    hard disk partitions. In the course of development general
    purpose DVD recording support was implemented, and as of now
    growisofs supports not only random-access media, but even
    mastering of multi-session DVD media such as DVD+R and
    DVD-R/-RW. In addition growisofs supports first-/single-
    session recording of arbitrary pre-mastered image (formatted
    as UDF, ISO9660 or any other file system, if formatted at
    all) to all supported DVD media types.

    OPTIONS
    -Z /dev/dvd
    Burn an initial session to the selected device. A spe-
    cial form of this option is recognized to support burn-
    ing of pre-mastered images. See EXAMPLES section for
    further details.

    -M /dev/dvd
    Merge a new session to an existing one.

    -version
    Print version information and invoke mkisofs, also with
    -version option.

    -dvd-compat
    Provide maximum media compatibility with
    DVD-ROM/-Video. In write-once context (DVD+R and DVD-R)
    this results in unappendable recording (closed disk).
    In DVD+RW context it instructs the logical unit to
    explicitly burn [otherwise optional] lead-out.

    -dry-run
    At dry-run growisofs performs all the steps till, but
    not including the first write operation. Most notably
    check for "overburn" condition is performed, which
    implies that mkisofs is invoked and terminated prema-
    turely.

    -overburn
    Normally DVD media can accommodate up to approximately

    growisofs 5.20 Last change: 15 July 2004 1

    Maintenance Commands GROWISOFS(1m)

    4.700.000.000 bytes (in marketing speech 4.7GB). In
    other words a DVD can contain about 4.377 GiB or 4482
    MiB. Growisofs won't start without this option, if
    "overburn" condition appears to be unavoidable.

    -speed=N
    An option to control recording velocity. Most commonly
    you'll use -speed=1 with "no-name" DVD-R[W] media, if
    default speed settings messes up the media. Keep in
    mind that N essentially denotes speed closest to
    N*1385KBps among those offered by unit for currently
    mounted media. The list can be found in dvd+rw-
    mediainfo output.

    More options can be found in the manpage for mkisofs.

    There're several undocumented options commonly denoted with
    -use-the-force-luke prefix. Some of them serve debugging
    purposes. Some require certain knowledge about recording
    process or even OS kernel internals and as being such can
    induce confusing behaviour. Some are to be used in very
    specific situations better recognized by front-ends or
    automated scripts. Rationale behind leaving these options
    undocumented is that those few users who would actually need
    to use them directly can as well consult the source code or
    obtain specific instructions elsewhere.

    DIFFERENCES WITH RUNNING MKISOFS DIRECTLY
    When using growisofs you may not use the -o option for an
    output file. growisofs dumps the image directly to the
    media;

    You don't have to specify the -C option to create a higher
    level session on a multi session disk, growisofs will con-
    struct one for you;

    Otherwise everything that applies to [multi-session] master-
    ing with mkisofs applies to growisofs as well. growisofs
    needs at least mkisofs version 1.14, version 2.0 is required
    for multi-session write-once recordings.

    EXAMPLES
    Actual device names vary from one operating system to
    another. We use /dev/dvd as a collective name or as symbolic
    link to the actual device if you wish. Under Linux it will
    most likely be an ide-scsi device such as "/dev/scd0."
    Under NetBSD/OpenBSD it has to be a character SCSI CD-ROM
    device such as "/dev/rcd0c." Under Solaris it also has to be

    growisofs 5.20 Last change: 15 July 2004 2

    Maintenance Commands GROWISOFS(1m)

    a character SCSI/ATAPI CD-ROM device, e.g.
    "/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2" or "/vol/dev/aliases/cdrom0." And like-
    wise in HP-UX and IRIX...

    To master and burn an ISO9660 volume with Joliet and Rock-
    Ridge extensions on a DVD:

    growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /some/files

    To append more data to same DVD:

    growisofs -M /dev/dvd -R -J /more/files

    Make sure to use the same options for both inital burning
    and following sessions.

    To use growisofs to write a pre-mastered ISO-image to a DVD:

    growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso

    where image.iso represents an arbitrary object in the
    filesystem, such as file, named pipe or device entry. Noth-
    ing is growing here and command name is not intuitive in
    this context.

    NOTES
    If executed under sudo(8) growisofs refuses to start. This
    is done for the following reason. Naturally growisofs has to
    access the data set to be recorded to DVD media, either
    indirectly by letting mkisofs generate ISO9660 layout on-
    the-fly or directly if a pre-mastered image is to be
    recorded. Being executed under sudo(8), growisofs effec-
    tively grants sudoers read access to any file in the file
    system. The situation is intensified by the fact that
    growisofs parses MKISOFS environment variable in order to
    determine alternative path to mkisofs executable image. This
    means that being executed under sudo(8), growisofs effec-
    tively grants sudoers right to execute program of their
    choice with elevated privileges. If you for any reason still
    find the above acceptable and are willing to take the conse-
    quences, then consider running following wrapper script
    under sudo(8) in place for real growisofs binary.

    #!/bin/ksh
    unset SUDO_COMMAND
    export MKISOFS=/path/to/trusted/mkisofs
    exec growisofs "$@"

    But note that the recommended alternative to the above "wor-
    karound" is actually to install growisofs set-root-uid, in
    which case it will drop privileges prior accessing data or

    growisofs 5.20 Last change: 15 July 2004 3

    Maintenance Commands GROWISOFS(1m)

    executing mkisofs in order to preclude unauthorized access
    to the data.

    If the media already carries isofs and growisofs is invoked
    with -Z option non-interactively, e.g. through cron, it
    shall fail with "FATAL: /dev/dvd already carries isofs!"
    Note that only ISO9660 is recognized, you can perfectly zap
    e.g. an UDF filesystem non-interactively.

    "Overburn" protection in pre-mastered image context works
    only with plain files and ISO9660 formatted volumes. E.g.
    [given that /dev/root is an ext2 formatted file system
    larger than 4.7GB] /dev/dvd=/dev/root is bound to produce
    corrupted recording.

    Note that DVD+RW re-formatting procedure does not substitute
    for blanking. If you want to nullify the media, e.g. for
    privacy reasons, do it explicitly with 'growisofs -Z
    /dev/dvd=/dev/zero'.

    Playback of re-writable DVD media, both DVD+RW and DVD-RW,
    might be limited in legacy DVD-ROM/-Video units. In most
    cases this is due to lower reflectivity of such media.

    Even though growisofs supports it, playback of multi-session
    write-once DVD might be limited to the first session for two
    reasons:

    o not all DVD-ROM players are capable of multi-border
    DVD-R playback, even less are aware of DVD+R multi-
    sessioning, burner unit therefore might be the only one
    in your vicinity capable of accessing files written at
    different occasions;

    o OS might fail to mount multi-session DVD for various
    reasons;

    The above is not applicable to DVD+RW, DVD-RW Restricted
    Overwrite or DVD-RAM, as volumes are grown within a single
    session.

    SEE ALSO
    Most up-to-date information on dvd+rw-tools is available at
    http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/.

    The manpage for mkisofs.

    AUTHORS
    Andy Polyakov stands for programming

  4. Re: dealing with DVD/RAM

    Is growisofs like cdrtools ?
    what aboutt cdrw ?
    On Oct 20, 2:54*pm, Jorgen Moquist
    wrote:
> [...]

    > * * * o * *not all DVD-ROM players *are *capable *of *multi-border
    > * * * * * *DVD-R *playback, *even *less *are aware ofDVD+R multi-
    > * * * * * *sessioning, burner unit therefore might be the only one
    > * * * * * *in *your vicinity capable of accessing files written at
    > * * * * * *different occasions;
    >
    > * * * o * *OS might fail to mount multi-session *DVD *for *various
    > * * * * * *reasons;
    >
    > * * * The above is not applicable *to *DVD+RW, *DVD-RW *Restricted
    > * * * Overwrite *or *DVD-RAM, as volumes are grown within a single
    > * * * session.
    >
    > SEE ALSO
    > * * * Most up-to-date information on dvd+rw-tools is available *at
    > * * *http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/.
    >
    > * * * The manpage for mkisofs.
    >
    > AUTHORS
    > * * * Andy Polyakov stands for *programming

  5. Re: dealing with DVD/RAM

    happytoday wrote:
    > Is growisofs like cdrtools ?
    > what aboutt cdrw ?

    What about not top-posting?

    What about doing some research and experimentation?

    --
    Ian Collins

  6. Re: dealing with DVD/RAM

    In article ,
    Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    >Ian Collins wrote:
    >> happytoday wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> Please I need to know if I can deal with DVD/RAM in Solaris 10 as
    >>> windows or not .
    >>> For example Can I execute cp command to a DVD/RAM ? What programs that
    >>> I can have to accomplish that task ?

    >> I don't know about 10, but they work transparently in Solaris Express /
    >> OpenSolaris.
    >>

    >Pre. Solaris 10 i used growisofs with "dvd+rw-tools"

    There is no need to use growisofs as cdrecord supports to write
    to DVD-RAM since a few years.

    The OP however asked for writable UDF support based on DVD-RAM media.

    I believe the problem is that the sd driver will not allow you to write
    if a drive identifies itself as CD-ROM (which is the base drive type
    for DVD-RAM writers).

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  7. Re: dealing with DVD/RAM

    In article <6mh9foFgdr8lU2@mid.individual.net>,
    Ian Collins wrote:
    >happytoday wrote:
    >> Is growisofs like cdrtools ?
    >> what aboutt cdrw ?

    cdrw does not support DVD-RAM, cdrecord does.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)