Solaris 9 Intel on HP ML570 G4 - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 9 Intel on HP ML570 G4 - Solaris ; Just a quick one to ask if anyone has had any success installing Solaris 9 on the above? I know 10 is supported but there are drivers for 9 on the HP site. It's a bit of a show stopper ...

  1. Solaris 9 Intel on HP ML570 G4

    Just a quick one to ask if anyone has had any success installing
    Solaris 9 on the above? I know 10 is supported but there are drivers
    for 9 on the HP site. It's a bit of a show stopper at the moment as it
    can't see the disk on the raid controller.

    Various Googles etc have revealed very little.

    TIA.

    Sean

  2. Re: Solaris 9 Intel on HP ML570 G4

    Sean wrote:
    > Just a quick one to ask if anyone has had any success installing
    > Solaris 9 on the above? I know 10 is supported but there are drivers
    > for 9 on the HP site. It's a bit of a show stopper at the moment as it
    > can't see the disk on the raid controller.
    >
    > Various Googles etc have revealed very little.

    It has a P600 controller right?

    are you making driver diskettes as usually needed with the smartarray
    controllers?

    Where are things not working?

  3. Re: Solaris 9 Intel on HP ML570 G4

    On 15 Oct, 18:59, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > Sean wrote:
    > > Just a quick one to ask if anyone has had any success installing
    > > Solaris 9 on the above? I know 10 is supported but there are drivers
    > > for 9 on the HP site. It's a bit of a show stopper at the moment as it
    > > can't see the disk on the raid controller.

    > > Various Googles etc have revealed very little.

    > It has a P600 controller right?

    Yes.

    > are you making driver diskettes as usually needed with the smartarray
    > controllers?

    I made the rather daft assumption the drivers would be on the install
    CD (if they existed) as I couldn't find one on the HP site or an EFS
    with it on. I'll have to have another look for them.

    > Where are things not working?

    I get a message that it cannot find the realmode drivers for the disk
    controller just after the hardware scan etc. so if I can find the
    driver I think that'll sort it for me.

  4. Re: Solaris 9 Intel on HP ML570 G4

    On 16 Oct, 09:42, Sean wrote:
    > On 15 Oct, 18:59, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >
    > > Sean wrote:
    > > > Just a quick one to ask if anyone has had any success installing
    > > > Solaris 9 on the above? I know 10 is supported but there are drivers
    > > > for 9 on the HP site. It's a bit of a show stopper at the moment as it
    > > > can't see the disk on the raid controller.

    > > > Various Googles etc have revealed very little.

    > > It has a P600 controller right?

    > Yes.
    >
    > > are you making driver diskettes as usually needed with the smartarray
    > > controllers?

    > I made the rather daft assumption the drivers would be on the install
    > CD (if they existed) as I couldn't find one on the HP site or an EFS
    > with it on. I'll have to have another look for them.
    >
    > > Where are things not working?

    > I get a message that it cannot find the realmode drivers for the disk
    > controller just after the hardware scan etc. so if I can find the
    > driver I think that'll sort it for me.

    Doesn't look like there is a driver on the HP website or an EFS. There
    are some ROM updates for the controller so I may try one of those to
    see if it allows Solaris 9 to see it. If you know of any drivers or
    where I might find them please let me know.

    Thanks.

  5. Re: Solaris 9 Intel on HP ML570 G4

    Sean wrote:

    > Doesn't look like there is a driver on the HP website or an EFS. There
    > are some ROM updates for the controller so I may try one of those to
    > see if it allows Solaris 9 to see it. If you know of any drivers or
    > where I might find them please let me know.

    You'll probably have to upgrade to 10, those HP boxes aren't very
    Solaris friendly.

    --
    Ian Collins

  6. Re: Solaris 9 Intel on HP ML570 G4

    On 16 Oct, 09:58, Ian Collins wrote:
    > Sean wrote:
    >
    > > Doesn't look like there is a driver on the HP website or an EFS. There
    > > are some ROM updates for the controller so I may try one of those to
    > > see if it allows Solaris 9 to see it. If *you know of any drivers or
    > > where I might find them please let me know.

    > You'll probably have to upgrade to 10, those HP boxes aren't very
    > Solaris friendly.

    I did think of that and using a Solaris 9 container but that's a can
    of worms I don't want to open for this particular problem so sadly not
    an option as it is all out of my control. I am just trying to see if
    it can be supported on this particular platform, if it doesn't work
    it doesn't work. Thank god for legal clauses.

    Also a correction on the Controller - its a P400 not a P600 though
    it's certainly looking that a driver isn't available. I'll have a
    snoop around OpenSolaris.

  7. Re: Solaris 9 Intel on HP ML570 G4

    Sean wrote:
    > On 16 Oct, 09:58, Ian Collins wrote:
    >> Sean wrote:
    >>
    >>> Doesn't look like there is a driver on the HP website or an EFS. There
    >>> are some ROM updates for the controller so I may try one of those to
    >>> see if it allows Solaris 9 to see it. If you know of any drivers or
    >>> where I might find them please let me know.

    >> You'll probably have to upgrade to 10, those HP boxes aren't very
    >> Solaris friendly.
    >>

    > I did think of that and using a Solaris 9 container but that's a can
    > of worms I don't want to open for this particular problem so sadly not
    > an option as it is all out of my control. I am just trying to see if
    > it can be supported on this particular platform, if it doesn't work
    > it doesn't work. Thank god for legal clauses.

    Old Solaris zones are a Sparc only feature. Solaris 9 on modern
    hardware is a bad idea, there'll probably be other components that are
    not supported.

    > Also a correction on the Controller - its a P400 not a P600 though
    > it's certainly looking that a driver isn't available. I'll have a
    > snoop around OpenSolaris.

    Might be worth a try.

    --
    Ian Collins

  8. Re: Solaris 9 Intel on HP ML570 G4

    Sean wrote:
    > On 16 Oct, 09:58, Ian Collins wrote:
    >> Sean wrote:
    >>
    >> > Doesn't look like there is a driver on the HP website or an EFS. There
    >> > are some ROM updates for the controller so I may try one of those to
    >> > see if it allows Solaris 9 to see it. If ?you know of any drivers or
    >> > where I might find them please let me know.

    >> You'll probably have to upgrade to 10, those HP boxes aren't very
    >> Solaris friendly.
    >>

    > I did think of that and using a Solaris 9 container but that's a can
    > of worms I don't want to open for this particular problem so sadly not
    > an option as it is all out of my control. I am just trying to see if
    > it can be supported on this particular platform, if it doesn't work
    > it doesn't work. Thank god for legal clauses.
    >
    > Also a correction on the Controller - its a P400 not a P600 though
    > it's certainly looking that a driver isn't available. I'll have a
    > snoop around OpenSolaris.

    forget opensolaris, just run solaris 10. that card seems to be supported
    OK. I run a few SCSI SmartArray cards with solaris 10, they're all gen 5
    and 6, but the drivers are the same for non-SCSI stuff last time I
    checked. As odd as solaris on a HP sounds, it's rock solid.

  9. Re: Solaris 9 Intel on HP ML570 G4

    quoting Cydrome Leader (Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:19:17 +0000 (UTC)):

    > forget opensolaris, just run solaris 10.

    Do you really mean solaris 10 is that much better? Or are you talking
    production server quality. I for one run sxce for quit some time now and
    I am very happy with it. But now that S10 gets ZFS too I'm in doubt. S10
    is much more stable (I guess). But for the desktop is lacks modern
    software. JDS is very old and I'm not fond of all the extra software you
    get in using Blastwave stuff.

    Maybe I should go for stability (and peace of mind) and worry less about
    desktop performances.

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u5 05/08 ++

  10. Re: Solaris 9 Intel on HP ML570 G4

    Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    > quoting Cydrome Leader (Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:19:17 +0000 (UTC)):
    >
    >> forget opensolaris, just run solaris 10.

    > Do you really mean solaris 10 is that much better? Or are you talking

    You can (as many businesses do) run important stuff on solaris 10 and
    it's going to work. You'd get laughed at by any software vendor if you
    said you're having problems running things on opensolaris or other beta
    garbage like that.

    Aside from some patches and support, the free solaris 10 is the real deal.

    > production server quality. I for one run sxce for quit some time now and
    > I am very happy with it. But now that S10 gets ZFS too I'm in doubt. S10
    > is much more stable (I guess). But for the desktop is lacks modern
    > software. JDS is very old and I'm not fond of all the extra software you
    > get in using Blastwave stuff.

    I think all unixes suck ass for use as a desktop. X is the biggest
    trainwreck in software history, and no amount of hacks and extra layers on
    it will fix what's inherently wrong about it- which is everything.

    I sit at XP machines, and by choice, and run other things from there.

    > Maybe I should go for stability (and peace of mind) and worry less about
    > desktop performances.

    In this case, you have a ML570, which is a server and not a desktop
    anyways. It probably has a very "safe" and slow graphics chipset and no
    audio in the first place.

    For work, I use solaris 10 on sparc- we decided not to use any x86 stuff.
    For my own stuff, I use solaris 10 on HP hardware, and have been using it
    to replace FreeBSD. These machines support a bunch of businesses and
    cannot go down or be rebooted for stupid reasons. They only stop if I tell
    them to. They're no question that they're stable.

+ Reply to Thread