System Backup - Solaris

This is a discussion on System Backup - Solaris ; To create a system image, I use the open source tool clonezilla. The problem is, clonezilla dont know the solaris ZFS. Therefore clonezilla makes a simple dd copy without any compressing of the saved data. Now my question. Which tool ...

  1. System Backup

    To create a system image, I use the open source tool clonezilla. The
    problem is, clonezilla dont know the solaris ZFS. Therefore clonezilla
    makes a simple dd copy without any compressing of the saved data.

    Now my question. Which tool you use to create simple system backup
    images on external disks? I am looking for a tool which is able to
    handle ZFS.

    Stefan

  2. Re: System Backup

    Stefan Sprungk wrote:
    > To create a system image, I use the open source tool clonezilla. The
    > problem is, clonezilla dont know the solaris ZFS. Therefore clonezilla
    > makes a simple dd copy without any compressing of the saved data.
    >
    > Now my question. Which tool you use to create simple system backup
    > images on external disks? I am looking for a tool which is able to
    > handle ZFS.
    >
    > Stefan

    Take a snapshot, then "zfs send" it.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  3. Re: System Backup

    Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    > Stefan Sprungk wrote:
    >> To create a system image, I use the open source tool clonezilla. The
    >> problem is, clonezilla dont know the solaris ZFS. Therefore clonezilla
    >> makes a simple dd copy without any compressing of the saved data.
    >>
    >> Now my question. Which tool you use to create simple system backup
    >> images on external disks? I am looking for a tool which is able to
    >> handle ZFS.
    >>
    >> Stefan

    > Take a snapshot, then "zfs send" it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Gary B-)

    Thank you for answering. How can I recover? What I must do in the case
    of changing a defect disk?

    Cheers Stefan

  4. Re: System Backup

    Stefan Sprungk wrote:
    > Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    >> Stefan Sprungk wrote:
    >>> To create a system image, I use the open source tool clonezilla. The
    >>> problem is, clonezilla dont know the solaris ZFS. Therefore
    >>> clonezilla makes a simple dd copy without any compressing of the
    >>> saved data.
    >>>
    >>> Now my question. Which tool you use to create simple system backup
    >>> images on external disks? I am looking for a tool which is able to
    >>> handle ZFS.
    >>>
    >>> Stefan

    >> Take a snapshot, then "zfs send" it.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Gary B-)
    >>

    > Thank you for answering. How can I recover? What I must do in the case
    > of changing a defect disk?

    You do "zfs receive".

    This is all well documented, the ZFS Administration Guide is at
    , and the German version
    is at .

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)