AMD Processor questions - Solaris

This is a discussion on AMD Processor questions - Solaris ; Hi all, I'm developing a highly-threaded server daemon, and we're looking for suitable server on which to run it. Currently at the top of the list is a Sun Fire X4140 with two quad-core Opterons. However, some research mentions AMD's ...

  1. AMD Processor questions

    Hi all,

    I'm developing a highly-threaded server daemon, and we're looking
    for suitable server on which to run it. Currently at the top of
    the list is a Sun Fire X4140 with two quad-core Opterons. However,
    some research mentions AMD's Phenom processor, so I was wondering
    for a given clock spped which one would be better for this task.
    AMD's web site is next to useless for sussing out this kind of
    info...

    The OS will be SXCE, and the app needs to scale to several hundred
    (if not several thousand) threads.

    It doesn't look like the Phenom is MP capable, so another question
    is what would be better: a single OPteron-based server, or a couple
    of Phenom-based workstations? The former has the advantage of being
    more scalable (the daemon is MT-hot, but won't run on distributed
    nodes), which is of some import.

    Any ideas (especially if you have experience with both)?

    TIA,

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  2. Re: AMD Processor questions

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm developing a highly-threaded server daemon, and we're looking
    > for suitable server on which to run it. Currently at the top of
    > the list is a Sun Fire X4140 with two quad-core Opterons. However,
    > some research mentions AMD's Phenom processor, so I was wondering
    > for a given clock spped which one would be better for this task.
    > AMD's web site is next to useless for sussing out this kind of
    > info...
    >
    > The OS will be SXCE, and the app needs to scale to several hundred
    > (if not several thousand) threads.

    I have no idea what SXCE is, but if you run solaris and want lots of
    threads, look at anything with the niagara 2 processor. It's fairly
    impressive. T5120 is one model that uses it.

  3. Re: AMD Processor questions

    Rich Teer wrote:
    [snip]

    > The OS will be SXCE, and the app needs to scale to several hundred
    > (if not several thousand) threads.

    Consider carefully the cache traffic implied by so many threads. You
    might be better served by a Xeon based system with larger caches.
    However, I suspect that a SPARC will do better still.

    rhb

  4. Re: AMD Processor questions

    "Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
    > Rich Teer wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm developing a highly-threaded server daemon, and we're looking
    >> for suitable server on which to run it. Currently at the top of
    >> the list is a Sun Fire X4140 with two quad-core Opterons. However,
    >> some research mentions AMD's Phenom processor, so I was wondering
    >> for a given clock spped which one would be better for this task.
    >> AMD's web site is next to useless for sussing out this kind of
    >> info...
    >>
    >> The OS will be SXCE, and the app needs to scale to several hundred
    >> (if not several thousand) threads.

    > I have no idea what SXCE is, but if you run solaris and want lots of
    > threads, look at anything with the niagara 2 processor. It's fairly
    > impressive. T5120 is one model that uses it.

    The best way is to compile and try. I have seen apps that work well with T
    processors, and I have seen apps that run faster on an old P4 2.4GHz HT,
    some with as many as 200 threads. My most recent experience was for a
    mostly C/C++ application with some 96 to 100 threads and the X4100 was
    better suited than a T2000 and ran significantly faster on the X4100.

    I would not rule out the X4140....best to try them both if he can. All
    sorts of variables make it impossible to predict, I/O, drive types, memory
    speed, cache trashing/dumping, context switching, floating point performance
    (if relevant), context switching rates, code efficiency against the
    CPU/memory, network speeds, concurrent active threads in queue etc.

+ Reply to Thread