opensolaris virtualbox USB Support - Solaris

This is a discussion on opensolaris virtualbox USB Support - Solaris ; I try to use opensolaris as basic os. On this os virtualbox is running with several other os instances. Most of them works fine except of the USB support. On opensolaris USB devices are working. I tried to configure USB ...

  1. opensolaris virtualbox USB Support

    I try to use opensolaris as basic os. On this os virtualbox is running
    with several other os instances. Most of them works fine except of the
    USB support.

    On opensolaris USB devices are working. I tried to configure USB support
    for the virtual machine with the "VBoxManage" commmand.

    bz3203@pc10062:~/.VirtualBox/Machines# VBoxManage modifyvm pc10062xp -usb on

    VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 1.6.6
    (C) 2005-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    All rights reserved.

    [!] FAILED calling machine->GetUSBController(UsbCtl.asOutParam()) at
    line 5296!
    [!] Primary RC = NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED (0x80004001) - Not implemented
    [!] Full error info present: false, basic error info present: false

    I dont understand the meaning of the machine response. Furthermore I
    dont know what to do additional to enable the USB support.

    Virtual Box version 1.6.6 (Non OSE for testing)
    opensolaris version 2008.11 snv_98 X86

    Stefan

  2. Re: opensolaris virtualbox USB Support

    stefan.sprungk wrote:
    > I try to use opensolaris as basic os. On this os virtualbox is running
    > with several other os instances. Most of them works fine except of the
    > USB support.
    >
    > On opensolaris USB devices are working. I tried to configure USB support
    > for the virtual machine with the "VBoxManage" commmand.

    > bz3203@pc10062:~/.VirtualBox/Machines# VBoxManage modifyvm pc10062xp
    > -usb on
    >
    > VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 1.6.6
    > (C) 2005-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    > All rights reserved.
    >
    > [!] FAILED calling machine->GetUSBController(UsbCtl.asOutParam()) at
    > line 5296!
    > [!] Primary RC = NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED (0x80004001) - Not implemented
    > [!] Full error info present: false, basic error info present: false
    >
    > I dont understand the meaning of the machine response. Furthermore I
    > dont know what to do additional to enable the USB support.
    >

    > Virtual Box version 1.6.6 (Non OSE for testing)
    > opensolaris version 2008.11 snv_98 X86
    >
    > Stefan

    Virtual Box version 2.0.2 is available also without USB support on
    solaris hosts.
    Not a very good showing for a Sun company.

    Bill

  3. Re: opensolaris virtualbox USB Support

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 07:06:15 -0400, Bill Goodridge wrote:
    > stefan.sprungk wrote:

    >> [!] FAILED calling machine->GetUSBController(UsbCtl.asOutParam()) at
    >> line 5296!
    >> [!] Primary RC = NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED (0x80004001) - Not implemented
    >> [!] Full error info present: false, basic error info present: false

    > Virtual Box version 2.0.2 is available also without USB support on
    > solaris hosts.

    Same error, different line number. SXCE-b98 host VirtualBox-2.0.2, Linux
    guest.

    > Not a very good showing for a Sun company.

    Work in progress??

  4. Re: opensolaris virtualbox USB Support

    quoting Dave Uhring (Thu, 02 Oct 2008 06:54:34 -0500):
    > Work in progress??

    At least shared folders work OK now and that's also something.

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u5 05/08 ++

  5. Re: opensolaris virtualbox USB Support

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 17:44:17 +0200, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

    > quoting Dave Uhring (Thu, 02 Oct 2008 06:54:34 -0500):
    >> Work in progress??

    > At least shared folders work OK now and that's also something.

    I haven't tried that since the vboxed OSs can access my NFS/Samba
    server.

  6. Re: opensolaris virtualbox USB Support

    quoting Dave Uhring (Thu, 02 Oct 2008 10:49:04 -0500):
    > On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 17:44:17 +0200, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    >
    >> quoting Dave Uhring (Thu, 02 Oct 2008 06:54:34 -0500):
    >>> Work in progress??

    >> At least shared folders work OK now and that's also something.

    > I haven't tried that since the vboxed OSs can access my NFS/Samba
    > server.

    Mine do too, but shared folders on the -host- is nice. My workstation
    does not run a NFS/Samba server. Just clients to the main server.

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u5 05/08 ++

  7. Re: opensolaris virtualbox USB Support

    Bill Goodridge wrote:

    > Virtual Box version 2.0.2 is available also without USB support on
    > solaris hosts.
    > Not a very good showing for a Sun company.

    Yes this is very sad. On a debian etch system usb and virtual box guests
    are working without any problems together. My intention is, to use
    opensolaris or solaris operating systems on the most X86 platforms. As
    administrator I configured an admin test workstation. On this
    workstation I use opensolaris as host operating system and several
    instances with linux and windows as guest systems. The USB support is
    very important for our business. So I hope that sun will support USB
    this feature also on solaris platforms in the next virtual box
    versions. If not, we must stay on windows and linux.

    Stefan

  8. Re: opensolaris virtualbox USB Support

    "Bill Goodridge" wrote in message
    > stefan.sprungk wrote:
    >> I try to use opensolaris as basic os. On this os virtualbox is running
    >> with several other os instances. Most of them works fine except of the
    >> USB support.
    >>
    >> On opensolaris USB devices are working. I tried to configure USB support
    >> for the virtual machine with the "VBoxManage" commmand.

    >> bz3203@pc10062:~/.VirtualBox/Machines# VBoxManage modifyvm pc10062xp -usb
    >> on
    >>
    >> VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 1.6.6
    >> (C) 2005-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    >> All rights reserved.
    >>
    >> [!] FAILED calling machine->GetUSBController(UsbCtl.asOutParam()) at line
    >> 5296!
    >> [!] Primary RC = NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED (0x80004001) - Not implemented
    >> [!] Full error info present: false, basic error info present: false
    >>
    >> I dont understand the meaning of the machine response. Furthermore I dont
    >> know what to do additional to enable the USB support.
    >>

    >> Virtual Box version 1.6.6 (Non OSE for testing)
    >> opensolaris version 2008.11 snv_98 X86
    >>
    >> Stefan

    > Virtual Box version 2.0.2 is available also without USB support on solaris
    > hosts.
    > Not a very good showing for a Sun company.
    >

    > Bill

    In fairness, Sun hasn't owned this product for that long.

    But agree, would be nice to see it polished up a bit. In some ways I like
    it better than VMWare. Especially the cost and speed. Even when you run it
    on (choke) Vista, it doesn't seem to have the Vista slowness inside the VM.

+ Reply to Thread