PPP over ATM connection - Solaris

This is a discussion on PPP over ATM connection - Solaris ; Is there a guide for this type of connection? I have tried the Live CD of OpenSolaris 2008 on a pc, loved it, and stumbled upon no internet connectivity. I have a simple adsl usb modem (conexant I think) and ...

  1. PPP over ATM connection

    Is there a guide for this type of connection? I have tried the Live CD
    of OpenSolaris 2008 on a pc, loved it, and stumbled upon no internet
    connectivity.

    I have a simple adsl usb modem (conexant I think) and a slow adsl
    connection (pstn). I guess I would have to use PPPoATM, right? Details
    somewhere?

    TIA,

    Nikolas

  2. Re: PPP over ATM connection

    In article , rdrnws wrote:

    > Is there a guide for this type of connection? I have tried the Live CD
    > of OpenSolaris 2008 on a pc, loved it, and stumbled upon no internet
    > connectivity.
    >
    > I have a simple adsl usb modem (conexant I think) and a slow adsl
    > connection (pstn). I guess I would have to use PPPoATM, right? Details
    > somewhere?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Nikolas

    Have you googled the make and model of the modem to see the specs on it?
    Most USB modems are Windows only.

    If you have a true serial modem, you shouldn't have any problem dialing
    into a service. If the ADSL modem is intended for use on Windows,
    you're probably out of luck.

    [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically by ignored]

  3. Re: PPP over ATM connection

    rdrnws writes:
    >Is there a guide for this type of connection? I have tried the Live CD
    >of OpenSolaris 2008 on a pc, loved it, and stumbled upon no internet
    >connectivity.

    >I have a simple adsl usb modem (conexant I think) and a slow adsl
    >connection (pstn). I guess I would have to use PPPoATM, right? Details
    >somewhere?

    You'd have to know what you have. Solaris isn't in general going to
    support PPPoA, because the main hurdle for that is that you have to
    have an ATM interface on the machine to do PPPoA over.

    Now, PPPoE is a different story, but with a USB router, thats not the
    biggest problem.

    There is no standard USB profile to support ADSL routers, so drivers
    are custom per box and per OS. In general, people haven't written
    solaris drivers to drive USB ADSL boxes. There's a few Linux ones.

    Your best bet is probably contact your ISP, see if there's a
    standalone ADSL router that can put out Ethernet (ie. there's many
    models around like this, usually selling for ~$60-$100).

    Then your standalone router has your login credentials stored, it does
    the authentication (PPPoA or PPPoE), and your solaris machine just has
    to push ethernet, which its really good at doing.

+ Reply to Thread