Dual Boot - Solaris

This is a discussion on Dual Boot - Solaris ; I got a new desktop computer for my job, it has a dual core cpu, four gigabyte memory and 160 gigabyte harddisk volume. On the first partition (20 gigabyte) is a windows xp system already installed. For some administration jobs ...

  1. Dual Boot

    I got a new desktop computer for my job,

    it has a dual core cpu, four gigabyte memory and 160 gigabyte harddisk
    volume. On the first partition (20 gigabyte) is a windows xp system
    already installed. For some administration jobs I need the xp system.

    On the free space I want to install opensolaris together with the
    virtual box software. I want to create a second xp system as virtual
    machine and move step by step all necessary windows applications into
    this virtual machine.

    On the first step however I need a dual boot configuration. Now my
    question. Is it possibly to install, without any workarounds, the
    opensolaris on the free partition without destroying the xp
    installation? Get I automatically the correct grub boot menu configuration?

    If no, is their any description of a sufficiant workaround?

    Kind regards stefan

  2. Re: Dual Boot

    stefan.sprungk wrote:
    [snip]

    > On the first step however I need a dual boot configuration. Now my
    > question. Is it possibly to install, without any workarounds, the
    > opensolaris on the free partition without destroying the xp
    > installation? Get I automatically the correct grub boot menu configuration?

    With Windows XP this should just work without any extra fuss. With
    Windows Vista life is a bit different, but will work using one of the
    latest Nevada builds of Solaris.

    For your Windows XP machine, you should be fine with either the latest
    official release (currently 05/08, but an update is expected within the
    next month) or with a recent Nevada build. Boot from the Solaris install
    CD and follow your nose from there.

    Note that it asks you quite a few configuration questions before it ever
    gets to the point of asking which disks you want to use. At that point it
    should notice that you already have a Windows XP partition, and it will
    suggest to install to the empty partition. It should configure grub to
    work correctly without any extra magic on your part.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  3. Re: Dual Boot

    Tristram Scott schrieb:

    > Note that it asks you quite a few configuration questions before it ever
    > gets to the point of asking which disks you want to use. At that point it
    > should notice that you already have a Windows XP partition, and it will
    > suggest to install to the empty partition. It should configure grub to
    > work correctly without any extra magic on your part.

    Thank you for information. After building a backup image I installed the
    opensolaris. The dual boot configuration works fine.

    Stefan

  4. Re: Dual Boot

    stefan.sprungk wrote:
    > I got a new desktop computer for my job,
    >
    > it has a dual core cpu, four gigabyte memory and 160 gigabyte harddisk
    > volume. On the first partition (20 gigabyte) is a windows xp system
    > already installed. For some administration jobs I need the xp system.
    >
    > On the free space I want to install opensolaris together with the
    > virtual box software. I want to create a second xp system as virtual
    > machine and move step by step all necessary windows applications into
    > this virtual machine.
    >
    > On the first step however I need a dual boot configuration. Now my
    > question. Is it possibly to install, without any workarounds, the
    > opensolaris on the free partition without destroying the xp
    > installation? Get I automatically the correct grub boot menu configuration?
    >
    > If no, is their any description of a sufficiant workaround?
    >
    > Kind regards stefan

    Have you considered using VirtualBox (www.virtualbox.org) to run your
    Windows XP. This eliminates the need for dual boot.

+ Reply to Thread