ZFS Mirroring - Solaris

This is a discussion on ZFS Mirroring - Solaris ; I have a x86 system. This system contains two scsi disks with the same size. Both disks are connected to a RAID Controller. Because of a not existing driver I cant use the hardware RAID with solaris10. Know I have ...

  1. ZFS Mirroring

    I have a x86 system. This system contains two scsi disks with the same
    size. Both disks are connected to a RAID Controller. Because of a not
    existing driver I cant use the hardware RAID with solaris10. Know I have
    configured the conroller for legacy mode and can use both disks separtly
    with solaris. Know I installed the system on disk1. Is it possible to
    create a mirror using disk2 with the zpool command?

    "zpool attach "

    Stefan

  2. Re: ZFS Mirroring

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article <48d641f2$0$6664$9b4e6d93@newsspool2.arcor-online.net>,
    > Stefan Sprungk writes:
    >> I have a x86 system. This system contains two scsi disks with the same
    >> size. Both disks are connected to a RAID Controller. Because of a not
    >> existing driver I cant use the hardware RAID with solaris10. Know I have
    >> configured the conroller for legacy mode and can use both disks separtly
    >> with solaris. Know I installed the system on disk1. Is it possible to
    >> create a mirror using disk2 with the zpool command?
    >>
    >> "zpool attach "

    > Yes, that's right.

    Well, Solaris 10 x86 does not work with zfs as root-fs (yet) AFAIK, so
    what version of Solaris is really in use here?

  3. Re: ZFS Mirroring

    Andrew Gabriel schrieb:
    > In article ,
    > "Thommy M. Malmström" writes:
    >> Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    >>> Yes, that's right.

    >> Well, Solaris 10 x86 does not work with zfs as root-fs (yet) AFAIK, so
    >> what version of Solaris is really in use here?

    > I missed that these are the only two disks.
    > Need more info from the OP on his setup.

    Thank you for answering. The mentioned solaris 10 system doesn't use
    ZFS. It is formatted with the classical ufs. Because of my experience in
    solaris 11 I assumed it would be ZFS. So I only have the chance to build
    a software RAID 1 mirror using solstice disksuit,

    Kindly regards
    Stefan

  4. Re: ZFS Mirroring

    stefan.sprungk wrote:
    > Andrew Gabriel schrieb:
    >> In article ,

    >>> Well, Solaris 10 x86 does not work with zfs as root-fs (yet) AFAIK,
    >>> so what version of Solaris is really in use here?

    >> I missed that these are the only two disks.
    >> Need more info from the OP on his setup.
    >>

    > Thank you for answering. The mentioned solaris 10 system doesn't use
    > ZFS. It is formatted with the classical ufs. Because of my experience in
    > solaris 11 I assumed it would be ZFS. So I only have the chance to build
    > a software RAID 1 mirror using solstice disksuit,

    Upcoming Solaris 10u6 (aka. Solaris 10 10/08) will have ZFS root
    possibilities. Due out in October, they say...

  5. Re: ZFS Mirroring

    * Stefan Sprungk:
    > I have a x86 system. This system contains two scsi disks with the same
    > size. Both disks are connected to a RAID Controller. Because of a not
    > existing driver I cant use the hardware RAID with solaris10. Know I have
    > configured the conroller for legacy mode and can use both disks separtly
    > with solaris.

    Just as a side note: that's no hardware RAID what you have, it's pure
    software RAID with BIOS boot support. Real hardware RAID can't be
    switched to some legacy mode.

    Benjamin

+ Reply to Thread