raid on solaris - Solaris

This is a discussion on raid on solaris - Solaris ; Hello I have a question about raid 0 on solaris. Generally I have 2 disks with 2 partition - one partition for root filesystem and second for let's say rest. On first partition I have slices ... for roor, swap ...

  1. raid on solaris

    Hello I have a question about raid 0 on solaris.
    Generally I have 2 disks with 2 partition - one partition for root
    filesystem and second for let's say rest.

    On first partition I have slices ... for roor, swap and boot.

    On second partition I don't have any slices - and I want to make RAID0
    on it for both disks.

    Is it possible ? As I see in manuals metainit etc operates only on
    slices... so can i make slices on 2nd partition? or should I use only
    one partition and then make slices and raid?

    Sorry if my question is lame but I have to know

    regards
    nichu

  2. Re: raid on solaris

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:35:23 +0200, nichu wrote:
    >Hello I have a question about raid 0 on solaris.
    >Generally I have 2 disks with 2 partition - one partition for root
    >filesystem and second for let's say rest.

    >On first partition I have slices ... for roor, swap and boot.

    >On second partition I don't have any slices - and I want to make RAID0
    >on it for both disks.

    >Is it possible ? As I see in manuals metainit etc operates only on
    >slices... so can i make slices on 2nd partition? or should I use only
    >one partition and then make slices and raid?

    >Sorry if my question is lame but I have to know

    Shouldn't be a problem. The raid slices should be equally sized.

  3. Re: raid on solaris

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:35:23 +0200, nichu wrote:
    >> Hello I have a question about raid 0 on solaris.
    >> Generally I have 2 disks with 2 partition - one partition for root
    >> filesystem and second for let's say rest.

    >> On first partition I have slices ... for roor, swap and boot.

    >> On second partition I don't have any slices - and I want to make RAID0
    >> on it for both disks.

    >> Is it possible ? As I see in manuals metainit etc operates only on
    >> slices... so can i make slices on 2nd partition? or should I use only
    >> one partition and then make slices and raid?

    >> Sorry if my question is lame but I have to know

    > Shouldn't be a problem. The raid slices should be equally sized.

    No there will be a problem, there can only be one Solaris partition on a
    drive.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  4. Re: raid on solaris

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:21:30 +1200, Ian Collins wrote:
    >AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:35:23 +0200, nichu wrote:
    >>> Hello I have a question about raid 0 on solaris.
    >>> Generally I have 2 disks with 2 partition - one partition for root
    >>> filesystem and second for let's say rest.

    >>> On first partition I have slices ... for roor, swap and boot.

    >>> On second partition I don't have any slices - and I want to make RAID0
    >>> on it for both disks.

    >>> Is it possible ? As I see in manuals metainit etc operates only on
    >>> slices... so can i make slices on 2nd partition? or should I use only
    >>> one partition and then make slices and raid?

    >>> Sorry if my question is lame but I have to know

    >> Shouldn't be a problem. The raid slices should be equally sized.

    >No there will be a problem, there can only be one Solaris partition on a
    >drive.

    Aren't slices and paritions names for the same thing?

    Forget the partitions. Just use slices
    How about:
    Drive 1
    Slice 0: root
    Slice 1: in raid0 zpool

    Drive 2
    Slice 0: available
    Slice 1: in raid0 zpool

  5. Re: raid on solaris

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:21:30 +1200, Ian Collins wrote:
    >> AZ Nomad wrote:
    >>> Shouldn't be a problem. The raid slices should be equally sized.

    >> No there will be a problem, there can only be one Solaris partition on a
    >> drive.

    > Aren't slices and paritions names for the same thing?

    No.

    To qualify that, there isn't a standard definition for those terms. But
    in the Solaris world, "partition" generally refers to an fdisk partition
    while a slice is a Solaris construct within a partition.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  6. Re: raid on solaris

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > AZ Nomad wrote:
    >>> No there will be a problem, there can only be one Solaris partition on a
    >>> drive.

    >> Aren't slices and paritions names for the same thing?
    >>

    > No.
    >
    > To qualify that, there isn't a standard definition for those terms. But
    > in the Solaris world, "partition" generally refers to an fdisk partition
    > while a slice is a Solaris construct within a partition.

    Thank You for responses.
    So to make raid 0 on those partitions I have to make slices on one
    partition not on two different.
    Well, so I have another question - i know that ZFS has possibiity to
    create mirros on slices. As I understand it can't make raid 0 in this way?

    I also know that I can add few partition to zfs pool but again as i
    understand it doesn't have so good performance as raid 0, does it?

    Thanks again
    regards
    nichu

  7. Re: raid on solaris

    nichu wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >> AZ Nomad wrote:

    >>> Aren't slices and paritions names for the same thing?
    >>>

    >> No.
    >>
    >> To qualify that, there isn't a standard definition for those terms. But
    >> in the Solaris world, "partition" generally refers to an fdisk partition
    >> while a slice is a Solaris construct within a partition.
    >>

    > Thank You for responses.
    > So to make raid 0 on those partitions I have to make slices on one
    > partition not on two different.
    > Well, so I have another question - i know that ZFS has possibiity to
    > create mirros on slices. As I understand it can't make raid 0 in this way?

    Why would you want to use RAID0? You can concatenate slices with ZFS,
    but it's not recommended.

    > I also know that I can add few partition to zfs pool but again as i
    > understand it doesn't have so good performance as raid 0, does it?

    No.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  8. Re: raid on solaris

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > nichu wrote:
    >> Ian Collins wrote:

    >>> No.
    >>>
    >>> To qualify that, there isn't a standard definition for those terms. But
    >>> in the Solaris world, "partition" generally refers to an fdisk partition
    >>> while a slice is a Solaris construct within a partition.
    >>>

    >> Thank You for responses.
    >> So to make raid 0 on those partitions I have to make slices on one
    >> partition not on two different.
    >> Well, so I have another question - i know that ZFS has possibiity to
    >> create mirros on slices. As I understand it can't make raid 0 in this way?
    >>

    > Why would you want to use RAID0? You can concatenate slices with ZFS,
    > but it's not recommended.

    it's due to performance issues - I know it is not recommended - but I
    want to test this solution...

    --
    nichu

+ Reply to Thread