ZFS Fileserver: Lost in Hardware - Solaris

This is a discussion on ZFS Fileserver: Lost in Hardware - Solaris ; > OP hasn't said which M2N M/B he > has (there are several). Actually, mine is JUST M2N, without any extension like "SLI" or "VM" or "E".. ProbabIy only sold in Europe, as i found it on the German, but ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: ZFS Fileserver: Lost in Hardware

    > OP hasn't said which M2N M/B he
    > has (there are several).

    Actually, mine is JUST M2N, without any extension like "SLI" or "VM"
    or "E"..

    ProbabIy only sold in Europe, as i found it on the German, but not on
    the US-Asus page (http://www.asus.de/products.aspx?
    l1=3&l2=101&l3=340&l4=0&model=1340&modelmenu=2)
    Anyway, the important clue i think is MCP430 which means MCP61..

  2. Re: ZFS Fileserver: Lost in Hardware

    > The nfo driver does work properly in Solaris 10 u5 x86. *That is one
    > of the other OSs installed on a second SATAII drive.
    >
    > The system from which I'm posting has an ASUS M2N-MX-SE mainboard
    > with the nVidia nForce 430 MCP chipset - aka MCP61.
    >
    > duhring@maxwell:~$ ifconfig nge0
    > nge0: flags=201000843 mtu 1500index 2
    > * * * * inet 192.168.0.5 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
    > duhring@maxwell:~$ cat /etc/hostname.nge0
    > 192.168.0.5 ether 0:1d:60:88:d7:8f
    > duhring@maxwell:~$ head -1 /etc/release
    > * * * * * * * * * *Solaris Express Community Edition snv_99 X86
    >
    > OpenSolaris snv_98 is installed on partition 1 of the first SATAII
    > HDD and it has the same configuration as Solaris Express.

    OK, I am getting confused over what problems exist on the different
    solaris versions:

    Solaris 10_5 does not detect the network interface at all. (But from
    what you said it should, right )? Tried to install the nfo-driver,
    but got stuck as make and gcc are not installed, and after i sintalled
    the SUNWgcc and SUNWmake ackages , they still dont work, assume wrong
    path settings.
    Just running adddrv.sh did not do very much, and after execution still
    no ethernet-device. Perhaps i need to plumb, or ifconfg or insmod or
    whatever ?! Bummer! (new to solaris, lots of debain experience,
    though).

    Gave OpenSolaris a shot, it detects the interface, but ran into
    reverse MAC bug.. Didnīt figure out yet how to manually force the MAC
    addresse (which command / config file / cookbook to use)...

  3. Re: ZFS Fileserver: Lost in Hardware

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 06:40:41 -0700, stefan.talkenberg wrote:

    > Solaris 10_5 does not detect the network interface at all. (But from
    > what you said it should, right )? Tried to install the nfo-driver,
    > but got stuck as make and gcc are not installed, and after i sintalled
    > the SUNWgcc and SUNWmake ackages , they still dont work, assume wrong
    > path settings.

    Solaris 10 u5 does not detect the NIC until nfo is installed.

    If you performed a complete installation of Solaris make is
    /usr/ccs/bin/make. You need to adjust your PATH. For Solaris 10 your
    PATH should be similar to this - at a minimum:

    /sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/X11/bin: \
    /usr/ccs/bin:/usr/sfw/bin:/usr/sfw/sbin

    You also need to set your MANPATH. find / -type d -name man

    There is no need to compile new drivers but if you have a 64-bit
    machine you do need to alter your Makefile and obj symlinks to point
    to the 64-bit Makefile and amd64 object directory. Generally follow
    the directions in the README file and do not attempt to compile new
    drivers. Good drivers are already in the tarball.

    > Gave OpenSolaris a shot, it detects the interface, but ran into
    > reverse MAC bug.. Didnīt figure out yet how to manually force the MAC
    > addresse (which command / config file / cookbook to use)...

    I posted the fix. Did you not read the content of /etc/hostname.nge0?
    As root execute ifconfig -a and you will see the Ethernet address as
    determined by the nge driver. Just reverse it byte by byte and set
    that new address in /etc/hostname.nge0. The driver originally saw this
    Ethernet address - 8f:d7:88:60:1d:0

    There are several other things which need to be done to OpenSolaris to
    set static addressing, however. Files affected are

    /etc/inet/hosts man hosts
    /etc/defaultrouter man defaultrouter
    /etc/nodename man nodename
    /etc/hostname.nge0

    Then you need to disable nwam and enable network/physical:default.
    Be sure that you unmount any NFS mounts before doing this.

    Here is the list of what I did back in May and posted to this NG but
    note that at that time I was using an Intel NIC and the file
    /etc/hostname.iprb0 is not used in this case but rather
    /etc/hostname.nge0 with the content I posted earlier. This was also
    done using the LiveCD of OpenSolaris.

    jack@opensolaris:~# svcadm disable nwam
    jack@opensolaris:~# cd /etc
    jack@opensolaris:/etc# echo maxwell > nodename
    jack@opensolaris:/etc# echo maxwell > hostname.iprb0
    jack@opensolaris:/etc# echo "192.168.0.1" > defaultrouter
    jack@opensolaris:/etc# chmod u+w inet/hosts
    jack@opensolaris:/etc# echo "192.168.0.5 maxwell" >> inet/hosts
    jack@opensolaris:/etc# svcadm enable network/physical:default
    jack@maxwell:/etc# ping yahoo.com
    yahoo.com is alive
    jack@maxwell:/etc#

  4. Re: ZFS Fileserver: Lost in Hardware

    On Oct 12, 6:40 am, stefan.talkenb...@gmail.com wrote:
    > [...]
    > Solaris 10_5 does not detect the network interface at all. (But from
    > what you said it should, right )? Tried to install the nfo-driver,
    > but got stuck as make and gcc are not installed, and after i sintalled
    > the SUNWgcc and SUNWmake ackages , they still dont work, assume wrong
    > [...]

    You do not *need* those components to install and use the nfo driver;
    I used the 64-bit distribution from the tar file and it works great.

    Your system is similar to mine: AMD64 dual core, Asus M2N mobo,
    etc. You can see its config here:

    I wanted to experiment with DHCP; works fine and I posted the
    following to comp.unix.solaris a month or so ago:

    1. remove token "12" from /etc/default/dhcpagent so the
    line looks like this:

    PARAM_REQUEST_LIST=1,3,6,15,28,43

    2. create an empty file per:

    # >/etc/dhcp.INTF (OR) # echo > /etc/dhcp.INTF

    where "INTF" = le0, hme0, whatever. For me it's nfo0 due to
    an Asus M2N68-LA motherboard with NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce
    430 chipset

    3. create a file named /etc/nodename containing the name you
    want for your system

    4. copy /etc/nodename to /etc/hostname

    5. copy /etc/nodename to /etc/hostname.INTF where "INTF" is
    the same as in (2) above

    Reboot to verify it's now working to your satisfaction. The
    system name YOU chose will have been added to /etc/inet/hosts
    and you should be set.

    Another solution is running sys-unconfig and going through
    the hassle of entering a lot more information than just the
    hostname you want assigned for a DHCP request.

    Here are the files and the ifconfig on my system:

    # uname -a
    SunOS antares 5.10 Generic_137112-06 i86pc i386 i86pc

    # ls -l /etc/hostname* /etc/nodename*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8 Jul 28 22:18 /etc/hostname
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8 Jul 28 22:18 /etc/
    hostname.nfo0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8 Jul 28 22:18 /etc/nodename

    # cat /etc/nodename
    antares

    # ls -l /etc/dhcp*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1 Jul 28 22:52 /etc/dhcp.nfo0

    # diff /etc/default/dhcpagent /etc/default/dhcpagent-ORIG
    90c90
    < PARAM_REQUEST_LIST=1,3,6,15,28,43
    ---

    > PARAM_REQUEST_LIST=1,3,6,12,15,28,43

    # cat /etc/inet/hosts
    #
    # Internet host table
    #
    127.0.0.1 localhost loghost
    ::1 localhost loghost
    192.168.22.90 TL2015
    192.168.22.99 TL4050
    192.168.22.100 antares # Added by DHCP

    # ifconfig -a
    lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu
    8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    nfo0: flags=1004843 mtu 1500
    index 2
    inet 192.168.22.100 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.22.255
    ether 0:1f:c6:e8:89:9

  5. Re: ZFS Fileserver: Lost in Hardware

    Thanks for the input guys...

    Looks like i got the driver installed, at least there were no
    complains and I now have a device "nfo0".

    Still, network is not running. Seems to me like the device is not
    working physically. I checked the DHCP-Howto, but there was no adress
    assigned.

    So right now I am trying a static setup first, but somehow i cannot
    ping my gateway. The "transmit" LEDs donīt flash, and there is just a
    timeout. Pinging the interface`s static adress itself works.

    # cat /etc/defaultrouter
    192.168.0.1
    # cat /etc/hostname
    blackhole
    # cat /etc/hostname.nfo0
    blackhole
    # cat /etc/nodename
    blackhole
    # ifconfig -a
    lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu
    8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    nfo0: flags=1000803 mtu 1500 index 2
    inet 192.168.0.110 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
    ether 0:1f:c6:bc:64:41
    # ping 192.168.0.1
    no answer from 192.168.0.1
    # ping 192.168.0.110
    192.168.0.110 is alive
    # dladm show-link
    nfo0 Typ: legacy mtu: 1500 Gerät: nfo0

    There is a hint at startup:

    - >ip_arp_done init failed

    -> /lib/svc/method/net-physical failed with exist status: 96

    When I check svcs -xv, it looks like there is a file missing:
    -> Reason: $SMF_EXIT_ERR_CONFIG

    Wehc i check the suggested /etc/svc/volatile/network-
    physical:default.log, it complains about a missing file
    "Could not bring aggregations up: file or directory not found
    (configuration repository open failed )"

    Maybe you can point me at what file is missing ?? Man,I thought after
    I know debain that would be a piece of cake... Wrong. Good n8t guys

  6. Re: ZFS Fileserver: Lost in Hardware

    On Oct 16, 4:19 pm, stefan.talkenb...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thanks for the input guys...
    >
    > Looks like i got the driver installed, at least there were no
    > complains and I now have a device "nfo0".

    Good. I hope you followed all the instructions in nfo's
    distribution to the letter without exception.

    > [...]
    > Still, network is not running. Seems to me like the device is not
    > working physically. I checked the DHCP-Howto, but there was no adress
    > assigned.

    I have no idea what you mean by "the DHCP-Howto"; did you follow
    what I posted here October 12? Mine works; nost of what I found on
    the 'Net is simply wrong.

    > [...]
    > # ifconfig -a
    > lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu
    > 8232 index 1
    > inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    > nfo0: flags=1000803 mtu 1500 index 2
    > inet 192.168.0.110 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
    > ether 0:1f:c6:bc:64:41

    And here's mine from a moment ago (almost identical motherboard):

    lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu
    8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    nfo0: flags=1004843 mtu 1500
    index 2
    inet 192.168.22.101 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.22.255
    ether 0:1f:c6:e8:89:9

    Notice the difference? Mine is "RUNNING" and it used "DHCP".

    > Maybe you can point me at what file is missing ??

    Look back in this thread to October 12 for my article.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2