How to dual boot Solaris 10 and Windows XP? - Solaris

This is a discussion on How to dual boot Solaris 10 and Windows XP? - Solaris ; I have an Ultra 40 with 3 SAS drives. First two, I will mirror using Solaris Volume Manager. The 3rd hard drive contains Windows XP. I want to be given the option of booting into Windows. By default, I want ...

  1. How to dual boot Solaris 10 and Windows XP?

    I have an Ultra 40 with 3 SAS drives.
    First two, I will mirror using Solaris Volume Manager.

    The 3rd hard drive contains Windows XP. I want to be given the option
    of booting into Windows. By default, I want to boot into Solaris 10.

    How do I enable all this?

  2. Re: How to dual boot Solaris 10 and Windows XP?

    SQ wrote:
    > I have an Ultra 40 with 3 SAS drives.
    > First two, I will mirror using Solaris Volume Manager.
    >
    > The 3rd hard drive contains Windows XP. I want to be given the option
    > of booting into Windows. By default, I want to boot into Solaris 10.
    >
    > How do I enable all this?

    You don't say which version of solaris, but I've found with the more recent
    releases that if you install Windows first, when you install Solaris, it
    finds other bootable installations (such as Windows) and adds them to the
    grub config.

    I don't have a Ultra 40, so I can't be sure that it will behave in the same
    manner. If your windows isn't automatically added to grub, you can add it
    by hand. The following may help

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features...ot_solaris.jsp

    --
    Voltaire: Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities

  3. Re: How to dual boot Solaris 10 and Windows XP?

    More specifically, it's Solaris 10 for x86, release 5/2008.

    This is good info, thanks.

  4. Re: How to dual boot Solaris 10 and Windows XP?

    I have a similar problem too.

    I partitioned a 300G disk as follows:

    151G - wINDOWS xP
    149G-Solaris 10.

    I already installed both operating systems but the problem was that each time i boot the PC9x86), it was booting to Solaris 10 instead of Windows. Now i changed the GRUB menu.lst to make Windows XP the default, but now i cannot boot to Solaris 10. What do I do. I am stuck.

+ Reply to Thread