SunFire X4100 M2 does'nt boot after cloning - Solaris

This is a discussion on SunFire X4100 M2 does'nt boot after cloning - Solaris ; Dear all, we are trying to clone, duplicate our X4100 under Sol 10 3/05. Therefore we booted another X4100 M2 into Single User Mode by the Solaris 10 x86 1/06 Release partionned the system accordingly and by ufsdump/ufsrestore procedure we ...

  1. SunFire X4100 M2 does'nt boot after cloning

    Dear all,

    we are trying to clone, duplicate our X4100 under Sol 10 3/05.
    Therefore we booted another X4100
    M2 into Single User Mode by the Solaris 10 x86 1/06 Release partionned
    the system accordingly
    and by ufsdump/ufsrestore procedure we tranferred the whole data sets
    to the new X4100 M2.
    Since Solaris 10 1/06 does not support the old "installboot" command
    for the bootblock installation
    we had to use
    #installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/
    stage2 /dev/rdsk/c3t2d0s0

    where c3t2d0s0 is the Solaris partition disk.

    Now we tried to reboot the system but only the grub> prompt is
    appearing. What steps are now
    necessary to boot the system successfully?

    THX for any hint!
    RainerB

  2. Re: SunFire X4100 M2 does'nt boot after cloning

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 06:46:16 -0700, RBläs wrote:

    > Since Solaris 10 1/06 does not support the old "installboot" command for
    > the bootblock installation
    > we had to use
    > #installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/
    > stage2 /dev/rdsk/c3t2d0s0
    >
    > where c3t2d0s0 is the Solaris partition disk.

    While I'm not familiar with that particular machine this works with a
    PeeCee.

    If you boot single-user from CD/DVD you need to mount the root partition
    on /a. Then to get grub installed to the master boot sector,

    # installgrub -m /a/boot/grub/stage1 /a/boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c3t2d0s0

  3. Re: SunFire X4100 M2 does'nt boot after cloning

    On 15 Sep., 23:56, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
    > In article <8a15fbab-5b44-472a-b81d-038385e1d...@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com>,
    > * * * * RBläs writes:
    >

    > > Dear all,

    > > we are trying to clone, duplicate our X4100 under Sol 10 3/05.
    > > Therefore we booted another X4100
    > > M2 into Single User Mode by the Solaris 10 x86 1/06 Release partionned
    > > the system accordingly
    > > and by ufsdump/ufsrestore procedure we tranferred the whole data sets
    > > to the new X4100 M2.
    > > Since Solaris 10 1/06 does not support the old "installboot" command
    > > for the bootblock installation
    > > we had to use
    > > * * * * * * * * * * * #installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/
    > > stage2 /dev/rdsk/c3t2d0s0

    > > where c3t2d0s0 is the Solaris partition disk.

    > > Now we tried to reboot the system but only the grub> prompt is
    > > appearing. What steps are now
    > > necessary to boot the system successfully?

    > One reason for this is grub can't find the menu file
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst However, that's probably not the
    > only reason this might happen.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Gabriel
    > [email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]

    Andrew,
    that's correct there is no menu.lst file since the original system
    which we cloned is running
    under Sol 10 3/05 with the 'old' bootloader installed by
    'installBOOT...'. i.e. there is no Grub
    bootloader and therefore no menu.lst file.
    Do you mean by creating only an appropriate menu.lst file the problem
    will be solved?

    Rainer

  4. Re: SunFire X4100 M2 does'nt boot after cloning

    On Sep 16, 2:03 pm, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
    wrote:
    > In article ,
    > RBläs writes:
    >

    > > On 15 Sep., 23:56, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

    > >> One reason for this is grub can't find the menu file
    > >> /boot/grub/menu.lst However, that's probably not the
    > >> only reason this might happen.

    > > Andrew,
    > > that's correct there is no menu.lst file since the original system
    > > which we cloned is running
    > > under Sol 10 3/05 with the 'old' bootloader installed by
    > > 'installBOOT...'. i.e. there is no Grub
    > > bootloader and therefore no menu.lst file.
    > > Do you mean by creating only an appropriate menu.lst file the problem
    > > will be solved?
    > > Rainer

    > I can't really imagine what you've done. You can't boot Sol 10 3/05
    > directly using grub - you would have to use the grub chain loader
    > mechanism whereby grub loads the OS's own boot block like the BIOS
    > would if it was loading the OS directly.

    o.k. I did now the following:
    1. Single User Shell boot by the Solaris 10 X86 1/06 CD
    2. mount /dev/dsk/c3t2d0s0 /a <===== cloned Solaris 10 x86
    3/05HW1 system disk
    3. cd /a/boot; mkdir grub (there was no grub Dir only the files
    mdboot,mdbootp files
    and 2 Dirs rc.d, solaris were there)
    4. new menu.lst file with
    default 0
    timeout 10
    title Solaris 10
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    makeactive
    5. reboot
    6. GNU Grub version 0.95 Menu is appearing with "Solaris 10" entry
    System is not booting, after 10 seconds the counter starts again
    and so on

    Rainer

  5. Re: SunFire X4100 M2 does'nt boot after cloning

    On 16 Sep., 19:16, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > * * * * RBläs writes:
    >

    > > o.k. *I did now the following:
    > > 1. Single User Shell boot by the Solaris 10 X86 1/06 CD
    > > 2. mount /dev/dsk/c3t2d0s0 /a * * *<===== cloned Solaris 10 x86
    > > 3/05HW1 system disk
    > > 3. cd /a/boot; mkdir grub (there was no grub Dir only the files
    > > mdboot,mdbootp files
    > > * * and 2 Dirs rc.d, solaris were there)
    > > 4. new menu.lst file with
    > > * * default 0
    > > * * timeout 10
    > > * * title Solaris 10
    > > * * root (hd0,0)
    > > * * chainloader +1
    > > * * makeactive
    > > 5. reboot
    > > 6. GNU Grub version 0.95 Menu is appearing with "Solaris 10" entry
    > > * * System is not booting, after 10 seconds the counter starts again
    > > and so on

    > It won't work, probably for loads of reasons.
    > One example is you don't have any code to do device enumeration
    > (finding out what hardware the system has and building the kernel
    > device tree). In Solaris 10 3/05, this code is part of the DCA
    > (boot system). From update 1 onwards, it's moved into the kernel
    > as there is no DCA. If you try to boot 3/05 directly with grub,
    > it doesn't exist anywhere.
    >
    > Like I said, you would have to do this by having grub chainload
    > the DCA, not the kernel directly.
    >
    > Why are you trying to install S10 3/05?
    >
    > If you want S10 3/05, I would try installing that directly
    > (although as I said, I've no idea if that would work on an
    > X4100, which didn't exist when S10 3/05 was released).

    Sorry, now I'm totally confused:

    1. we have a X4100 system running under Sol 10 x86 3/05HW1.
    2. on this system many complex applications are installed i.e. this
    server
    has to run round the clock
    3. to garantee a high level of availability we have a X100 M2 system
    so to say as standby which will be booted when the 'master' system
    will
    fail
    4. therefore our attempt to clone/duplicate our 'master' system
    5. o.k. we can install Sol 10 x86 3/05HW1 or the latest one on the
    x4100 M2
    BUT then we have to install all applications step by step!
    6. when I understand you in the right way we have no other choice to
    do this because
    the x4100 M2 needs GRUB bootloader in opposite to the single x4100
    system.

    THX, Rainer

  6. Re: SunFire X4100 M2 does'nt boot after cloning

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:16:46 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    > If you want S10 3/05, I would try installing that directly
    > (although as I said, I've no idea if that would work on an
    > X4100, which didn't exist when S10 3/05 was released).

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub...unFireX4100_M2

    Minimum Supported
    Operating Environment Versions Solaris x86
    Solaris 10 x86, 64-bit 6/06 (U2) and later

    Install Solaris 10 x86 5/08 (U5), patch it, transfer data from the other
    system.

  7. Re: SunFire X4100 M2 does'nt boot after cloning

    On Sep 16, 8:00 pm, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:16:46 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > > If you want S10 3/05, I would try installing that directly
    > > (although as I said, I've no idea if that would work on an
    > > X4100, which didn't exist when S10 3/05 was released).

    > http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub...rget=Systems/S...
    >
    > Minimum Supported
    > Operating Environment Versions Solaris x86
    > Solaris 10 x86, 64-bit 6/06 (U2) and later
    >
    > Install Solaris 10 x86 5/08 (U5), patch it, transfer data from the other
    > system.

    THX Andrew and Dave for the link above. So the best way is to update/
    upgrade our
    SunFire X4100 system to Solaris 10 x86 5/08 and THEN to clone it to
    our new X4100 M2
    server.

    Rainer

  8. Re: SunFire X4100 M2 does'nt boot after cloning

    RBl?s wrote:
    > On Sep 16, 8:00 pm, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:16:46 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >> > If you want S10 3/05, I would try installing that directly
    >> > (although as I said, I've no idea if that would work on an
    >> > X4100, which didn't exist when S10 3/05 was released).

    >> http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub...rget=Systems/S...
    >>
    >> Minimum Supported
    >> Operating Environment Versions Solaris x86
    >> Solaris 10 x86, 64-bit 6/06 (U2) and later
    >>
    >> Install Solaris 10 x86 5/08 (U5), patch it, transfer data from the other
    >> system.

    > THX Andrew and Dave for the link above. So the best way is to update/
    > upgrade our
    > SunFire X4100 system to Solaris 10 x86 5/08 and THEN to clone it to
    > our new X4100 M2
    > server.
    >
    > Rainer

    There is an alternative here, but really the best thing to do is either to
    upgrade your existing system to Solaris 10 x86 5/08 and then clone it, or
    to build the new system and copy across or reinstall the applications.

    The alternative is to do a complete backup of the exisiting system e.g.
    with ufsdump, and then to do a complete system restore to the new machine.
    You will need to boot from the Solaris CD to get a shell prompt and use
    ufsrestore from there. You may need to format the disk, make a file
    system, install boot blocks etc. first.

    If you prefer, do a fresh install of your old Solaris 10 3/05 onto your new
    machine, and then boot from CD and do the ufsrestore over the top of the
    working system. That way you don't have to worry about making a bootable
    file system and other such details.

    Then, once you have a clone of your existing machine, and have verified
    that it works happily, upgrade one of them to Solaris 10 x86 5/08 and patch
    it as is appropriate. After that works, upgrade (or clone to) the other.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

+ Reply to Thread