RAID support - Solaris

This is a discussion on RAID support - Solaris ; Hi, I am wanting to build a PC to run Solaris 10 and wanted hardware RAID support. Does anyone know if Solaris supports hardware RAID using the intel chipset ICH10R, AMD 790FX, nVidea, ...? I was just hoping to mirror ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: RAID support

  1. RAID support

    Hi,

    I am wanting to build a PC to run Solaris 10 and wanted hardware RAID
    support. Does anyone know if Solaris supports hardware RAID using the
    intel chipset ICH10R, AMD 790FX, nVidea, ...? I was just hoping to
    mirror a couple of drives.

    Regards,

    Dale.

  2. Re: RAID support

    Dale wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am wanting to build a PC to run Solaris 10 and wanted hardware RAID
    > support. Does anyone know if Solaris supports hardware RAID using the
    > intel chipset ICH10R, AMD 790FX, nVidea, ...? I was just hoping to
    > mirror a couple of drives.
    >

    Why not use SVM or if an OpenSolaris distribution floats your boat, ZFS.

    I don't know of any low cost embedded raid controllers supported by in
    Solaris in RAID mode.

    Hardware RAID is so 80s!

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: RAID support

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Dale wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am wanting to build a PC to run Solaris 10 and wanted hardware RAID
    >> support. Does anyone know if Solaris supports hardware RAID using the
    >> intel chipset ICH10R, AMD 790FX, nVidea, ...? I was just hoping to
    >> mirror a couple of drives.
    >>

    > Why not use SVM or if an OpenSolaris distribution floats your boat, ZFS.
    >
    > I don't know of any low cost embedded raid controllers supported by in
    > Solaris in RAID mode.
    >
    > Hardware RAID is so 80s!
    >


    To check which hardware is supported by Solaris x86
    there is a check tool
    'Solaris Operating System for x86 Installation Check Tool 1.3'
    you have to download the iso file
    burn it on CD
    and boot your PC with it.
    The tool then tells you what hardware you have
    and if Solaris supports it
    or where you can download the drivers you need.

    kind regards
    Sven

    --
    Sven-Olaf Hilmer, Solaris System Engineer
    http://www.hilmer-informatik.ch

  4. Re: RAID support

    On Sep 15, 2:54 am, Sven Hilmer
    wrote:
    > [...]
    > To check which hardware is supported by Solaris x86
    > there is a check tool
    > 'Solaris Operating System for x86 Installation Check Tool 1.3'
    > you have to download the iso file
    > burn it on CD
    > and boot your PC with it.


    Last time I checked (July 2008), it's version 1.4

    > The tool then tells you what hardware you have
    > and if Solaris supports it
    > or where you can download the drivers you need.


    That it does! And it's an excellent way to determine if some
    hardware one wishes to buy will be compatible. I burned the
    ISO to a CD and took it with me to test systems at stores; I
    was informed the system I wanted to buy required a 3rd-party
    Ethernet driver and it supplied me the URL of the driver.

    That was really nice (far, far better than so-called "Live CDs"
    of various Linux distros which won't even boot on a lot of the
    hardware "out there" (esp. if one has SATA CD/DVD drives)).

  5. Re: RAID support


    "Thad Floryan" wrote in message
    news:2d1c725a-dc50-4a60-9fea-beafeda9e3ff@p31g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
    > On Sep 15, 2:54 am, Sven Hilmer
    > wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> To check which hardware is supported by Solaris x86
    >> there is a check tool
    >> 'Solaris Operating System for x86 Installation Check Tool 1.3'
    >> you have to download the iso file
    >> burn it on CD
    >> and boot your PC with it.

    >
    > Last time I checked (July 2008), it's version 1.4
    >
    >> The tool then tells you what hardware you have
    >> and if Solaris supports it
    >> or where you can download the drivers you need.

    >
    > That it does! And it's an excellent way to determine if some
    > hardware one wishes to buy will be compatible. I burned the
    > ISO to a CD and took it with me to test systems at stores; I
    > was informed the system I wanted to buy required a 3rd-party
    > Ethernet driver and it supplied me the URL of the driver.
    >
    > That was really nice (far, far better than so-called "Live CDs"
    > of various Linux distros which won't even boot on a lot of the
    > hardware "out there" (esp. if one has SATA CD/DVD drives)).


    Yes, I too like this tool. Nice way to test the system compatibility.

    But Solaris 10 U5 does not support my ICH9R at all. And no backwards
    compatibility mode in BIOS either. I was kind of hoping to see what Solaris
    64 bit would be like on a Q6600 with 8GB or RAM.

    Maybe in U6.... we can hope.



  6. Re: RAID support

    Dale wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am wanting to build a PC to run Solaris 10 and wanted hardware RAID
    > support. Does anyone know if Solaris supports hardware RAID using the
    > intel chipset ICH10R, AMD 790FX, nVidea, ...? I was just hoping to
    > mirror a couple of drives.


    None of those are supported.

  7. Re: RAID support

    Dale wrote:
    > support. Does anyone know if Solaris supports hardware RAID using the
    > intel chipset ICH10R, AMD 790FX, nVidea, ...? I was just hoping to


    I think most of those are really just hardware hacks that provide enough
    support to get the OS started with some (Windows-specific) drivers that take
    over the RAID function.

    When I last investigated, those style RAID were "hardware" RAID in the same
    manner as a Winmodem was a "hardware modem".

    --
    Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/

  8. Re: RAID support

    Thank you for all the post. I think I'll try the ZFS software RAID
    and see how I go. If that doesn't meet my needs, then I'll get an
    Adaptec SATA RAID card, or something similar.

    Thankyou,

    Dale.

  9. Re: RAID support

    On Sep 15, 6:34 am, "Canuck57" wrote:
    > [...]
    > Yes, I too like this tool. Nice way to test the system compatibility.
    >
    > But Solaris 10 U5 does not support my ICH9R at all. And no backwards
    > compatibility mode in BIOS either. I was kind of hoping to see what Solaris
    > 64 bit would be like on a Q6600 with 8GB or RAM.
    >
    > Maybe in U6.... we can hope.


    There is a second tool, too, Sun's Device Detection Tool. Requires
    JRE and it runs on Solaris, Windows, Linux and MacOS. It's here:



    For me its results were essentially identical to the install_check
    but you may luck out. :-)

    A Google search just on ICH9R returns 1.4 million hits; you might
    try refining the search with additional qualifiers.

  10. Re: RAID support

    * Dale:
    > Does anyone know if Solaris supports hardware RAID using the
    > intel chipset ICH10R, AMD 790FX, nVidea, ...?


    None of them is hardware RAID, it's nothing more than software RAID with
    BIOS boot support. Real hardware RAID controllers aren't cheap and often
    cost more than the mobo they run on.

    Benjamin

+ Reply to Thread