pkgadd error unable to open admin file. - Solaris

This is a discussion on pkgadd error unable to open admin file. - Solaris ; I cant seem to find a solution for my problems, I am trying to add OSS audio to my OpenSolaris system, but I am unable to use pkgadd -d as it gives me this error. pkgadd: ERROR: unable to open ...

  1. pkgadd error unable to open admin file.

    I cant seem to find a solution for my problems, I am trying to add OSS
    audio to my OpenSolaris system, but I am unable to use pkgadd -d as it
    gives me this error.

    pkgadd: ERROR: unable to open admin file : No such file or
    directory

    I am using SunOS X4X 5.11 snv_97 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris which seems
    to work fine. After reading the pkgadd man page I was able to deduct
    that if I use -a none option I can go ahead with the install. But the
    script asks me for the path for OSS, which I have no idea of the
    proper path to place the install. All the documents such as the
    install pdf, and even Google does not give me a direct answer. I
    installed it under my home folder with .oss as a directory of course
    nothing works.

    I would like to get this fixed, as I am sure that other packages will
    need to be added using pkgadd, and I need it to work as advertised.

    Rthoreau

  2. Re: pkgadd error unable to open admin file.

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:10:42 -0700, Rthoreau wrote:

    > I cant seem to find a solution for my problems, I am trying to add OSS
    > audio to my OpenSolaris system, but I am unable to use pkgadd -d as it
    > gives me this error.
    >
    > pkgadd: ERROR: unable to open admin file : No such file or
    > directory
    >
    > I am using SunOS X4X 5.11 snv_97 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris which seems
    > to work fine. After reading the pkgadd man page I was able to deduct
    > that if I use -a none option I can go ahead with the install. But the
    > script asks me for the path for OSS, which I have no idea of the
    > proper path to place the install.

    cd directory_containing_oss_package # This is on an NFS mount
    duhring@einstein:/mnt/solaris-x86# pkgadd -d oss-solaris-v4.0-1016-i386.pkg
    [ ... ]
    ## Executing postinstall script.
    Setting up Open Sound System....please wait
    Driver (osscore) not installed.
    add_drv -m '* 0666 root sys' osscore
    add_drv -m '* 0666 root sys' -i '"pci10de,55c"' hdaudio
    add_drv -m '* 0666 root sys' -i '"usbif,class1"' ossusb
    add_drv -m '* 0666 root sys' sadasupport

    Open Sound System installation complete

    You can use the osstest command to test audio playback in your system.

    It may be necessary to reboot the system before all devices get properly
    detected by the system.

    Installation of was successful.
    duhring@einstein:/mnt/solaris-x86# head -1 /etc/release
    Solaris Express Community Edition snv_97 X86

+ Reply to Thread