x86 jumpstart installation labels all SAN disks - Solaris

This is a discussion on x86 jumpstart installation labels all SAN disks - Solaris ; Hi, we had a problem with a jumstart installation in our storage cluster environment. In this cluster are many sparc and x86 server, all are connected to a RAID System. And all server see all luns. A few days ago ...

  1. x86 jumpstart installation labels all SAN disks

    Hi,

    we had a problem with a jumstart installation in our storage cluster
    environment. In this cluster are many sparc and x86 server, all are
    connected to a RAID System. And all server see all luns.

    A few days ago we added a new x86 Server and performed a jumpstart
    installation with following profile:

    install_type initial_install
    root_device c1d0s0
    system_type standalone
    partitioning explicit
    cluster SUNWCXall
    filesys c1d0s0 existing /
    filesys c1d0s1 existing swap
    filesys c1d0s7 existing /export/home preserve
    locale en_US.ISO8859-15
    geo N_America
    geo W_Europe
    geo S_Europe
    geo C_Europe

    After the installation all Servers in the cluster had troubles with
    their SAN devices. The reason for the trouble was, that the jumstart
    installation labeled all devices which are attached to the server with
    a sunIA32 label. So all of our SAN disks become unusable for the other
    x86 and Sparc server.

    Why does the installation label all devices? They are not specified in
    the filesys statement and their is no fdisk statement in the profile
    file.

    We had to restore manually all disk labels for 40 disks.

    I think that this behavior of x86 jumstart is a bug.

    Christian.

  2. Re: x86 jumpstart installation labels all SAN disks

    Christian Schmidt wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > we had a problem with a jumstart installation in our storage cluster
    > environment. In this cluster are many sparc and x86 server, all are
    > connected to a RAID System. And all server see all luns.
    >
    > A few days ago we added a new x86 Server and performed a jumpstart
    > installation with following profile:
    >
    > install_type initial_install
    > root_device c1d0s0
    > system_type standalone
    > partitioning explicit
    > cluster SUNWCXall
    > filesys c1d0s0 existing /
    > filesys c1d0s1 existing swap
    > filesys c1d0s7 existing /export/home preserve
    > locale en_US.ISO8859-15
    > geo N_America
    > geo W_Europe
    > geo S_Europe
    > geo C_Europe
    >
    > After the installation all Servers in the cluster had troubles with
    > their SAN devices. The reason for the trouble was, that the jumstart
    > installation labeled all devices which are attached to the server with
    > a sunIA32 label. So all of our SAN disks become unusable for the other
    > x86 and Sparc server.
    >
    > Why does the installation label all devices? They are not specified in
    > the filesys statement and their is no fdisk statement in the profile
    > file.

    Did you install that machine onto the SAN, and not local disks by
    accident?

  3. Re: x86 jumpstart installation labels all SAN disks

    On 2 Sep., 17:45, Cydrome Leader wrote:

    > Did you install that machine onto the SAN, and not local disks by
    > accident?

    No, my root disk is c1d0s0 which is a locale disk. But the machine was
    connected to the SAN and saw all SAN disks (and labeled all SAN
    disks). The SAN disks have device paths like /dev/rdsk/
    c2t5000402101EC080Bd15s1. Jumpstart touch all disks, although they are
    not specified in the profile.

+ Reply to Thread