md5 and corrupted downloaded files - Solaris

This is a discussion on md5 and corrupted downloaded files - Solaris ; I download that file : sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso twice and each time I burn it on DVD I had the error : That CD/DVD is not Solaris media after going on steps of installation . Is that file corrupted and how can ...

  1. md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    I download that file : sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso twice and each time I
    burn it on DVD I had the error :
    That CD/DVD is not Solaris media after going on steps of
    installation .
    Is that file corrupted and how can I use md5 to check it and where can
    I get it and use it ?

    can I download the 5 CDs files and do that concatenation :
    copy /b sol-10-u5-ga-x86-v1.iso + sol-10-u5-ga-x86-v2.iso + sol-10-u5-
    ga-x86-v3.iso + sol-10-u5-ga-x86-v4.iso + sol-10-u5-ga-x86-v5.iso
    sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso

    Thanks in advance .

  2. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    In comp.unix.solaris happytoday wrote:
    > That CD/DVD is not Solaris media after going on steps of
    > installation .

    How are you burning the CD? Are you using the website's Java applet
    (Sun Download Manager) to download the DVD image? It will check the
    integrity of the file.

    > can I download the 5 CDs files and do that concatenation :

    No. You'd just be pasting five CD images together. Mashing five CD
    images together does not make a DVD.

    You can, however, download the CD images and burn them off as five
    different discs.

    --
    Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/

  3. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    On Aug 30, 2:55 am, happytoday wrote:
    > I download that file : sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso twice and each time I
    > burn it on DVD I had the error :
    > That CD/DVD is not Solaris media after going on steps of
    > installation .
    > Is that file corrupted and how can I use md5 to check it and where can
    > I get it and use it ?

    Since you're posting from an apparent WinXP box, here's a free md5
    checker:

    I used md5sum under Cygwin, but the results should be identical.

    Compare its output to the md5 sum at the Sun website from which
    you downloaded the DVD ISO image; see the "Optional Files" section
    on the same webpage, file: sol-10-u5-ga-md5sum-x86.txt

    Here's the md5sum for the single DVD ISO image from that file:

    c810e1bc5dc96c93004a98665c2f5834 sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso

    As Brandon wrote, don't use the buggy IE7 to download, use Sun's
    Download Manager (or FireFox, which worked for me).

    You still haven't answered the questions "what" and "how" you're
    burning the DVD.

    > can I download the 5 CDs files and do that concatenation :

    No.

  4. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    On Aug 31, 2:05*am, Thad Floryan wrote:
    > On Aug 30, 2:55 am, happytoday wrote:
    >
    > > I download that file : sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso twice and each time I
    > > burn it on DVD I had the error :
    > > That CD/DVD is not Solaris media after going on steps of
    > > installation .
    > > Is that file corrupted and how can I use md5 to check it and where can
    > > I get it and use it ?

    > Since you're posting from an apparent WinXP box, here's a free md5
    > checker:
    >

    > I used md5sum under Cygwin, but the results should be identical.
    >
    > Compare its output to the md5 sum at the Sun website from which
    > you downloaded the DVD ISO image; see the "Optional Files" section
    > on the same webpage, file: sol-10-u5-ga-md5sum-x86.txt
    >
    > Here's the md5sum for the single DVD ISO image from that file:
    >
    > c810e1bc5dc96c93004a98665c2f5834 *sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso
    >
    > As Brandon wrote, don't use the buggy IE7 to download, use Sun's
    > Download Manager (or FireFox, which worked for me).
    >
    > You still haven't answered the questions "what" and "how" you're
    > burning the DVD.
    >
    > > can I download the 5 CDs files and do that concatenation :

    > No.

    Strange problem . I did not face that problem with previous versions
    of Solaris 10. I used Sun's Download Manager with the same results. I
    used Nero to burn the DVD file : sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso.
    Those are the steps I did . Please tell me any errors about it :
    ---Start of steps----------------------------------------
    I entered in the GRUB append -kd instead of cdrom and then reboot :
    Welcom to kmdb
    [0] > cmi_no_init/W1
    cmi_no_init 0 = 0x1

    Error : unable to configrte Network interface.
    Exiting to shell.

    #exit
    nfs mount : nfs file system , use [host:]path
    then I navigate with the installation program :
    Keyboard layout
    language
    hostname
    password

    Error : the disk you inserted is not a Solaris OS CD/DVD.
    F2
    There were problems loading the media from /cdrom
    -----End of steps-----------------------------------
    Thanks

  5. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    On Aug 31, 2:05*am, Thad Floryan wrote:
    > On Aug 30, 2:55 am, happytoday wrote:
    >
    > > I download that file : sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso twice and each time I
    > > burn it on DVD I had the error :
    > > That CD/DVD is not Solaris media after going on steps of
    > > installation .
    > > Is that file corrupted and how can I use md5 to check it and where can
    > > I get it and use it ?

    > Since you're posting from an apparent WinXP box, here's a free md5
    > checker:
    >

    > I used md5sum under Cygwin, but the results should be identical.
    >
    > Compare its output to the md5 sum at the Sun website from which
    > you downloaded the DVD ISO image; see the "Optional Files" section
    > on the same webpage, file: sol-10-u5-ga-md5sum-x86.txt
    >
    > Here's the md5sum for the single DVD ISO image from that file:
    >
    > c810e1bc5dc96c93004a98665c2f5834 *sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso
    >
    > As Brandon wrote, don't use the buggy IE7 to download, use Sun's
    > Download Manager (or FireFox, which worked for me).
    >
    > You still haven't answered the questions "what" and "how" you're
    > burning the DVD.
    >
    > > can I download the 5 CDs files and do that concatenation :

    > No.

    Even I tried cdburn with that error :
    D:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>cdburn G: E:
    \operating_systems\UNIX\SOLARIS\Solaris_10_x86\sol-10-u5-ga-x86-
    dvd.iso
    Number of blocks in ISO image is 10d560
    Error verifying next writable address

  6. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    happytoday wrote...

    >Even I tried cdburn with that error :
    >D:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>cdburn G: E:
    >\operating_systems\UNIX\SOLARIS\Solaris_10_x86\sol-10-u5-ga-x86-
    >dvd.iso
    >Number of blocks in ISO image is 10d560
    >Error verifying next writable address

    Try installing Sol10x86 onto VMWare, save you the trouble of
    burning iso'es.

  7. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    On Aug 31, 9:44*pm, harryooopot...@hotmail.co_ (Harry331) wrote:
    > happytoday wrote...
    > >Even I tried cdburn with that error :
    > >D:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>cdburn G: E:
    > >\operating_systems\UNIX\SOLARIS\Solaris_10_x86\sol-10-u5-ga-x86-
    > >dvd.iso
    > >Number of blocks in ISO image is 10d560
    > >Error verifying next writable address

    > Try installing Sol10x86 onto VMWare, save you the trouble of
    > burning iso'es.

    Could you please give me hint about how I can use VMWare ? Steps of
    VMWare usage . I am new bie to VMWare .
    Thanks

  8. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    happytoday wrote...

    >Could you please give me hint about how I can use VMWare ? Steps of
    >VMWare usage . I am new bie to VMWare .
    >Thanks

    Start with google "vmware".
    Download VMWare workstation trial from here.
    http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/

    VMWare is a program that you can install on your Windows.
    Then you install Solaris x86 as a virtual OS on top of VMWare.

    You need a PC with at least 2GB of RAM and at least 30GB free
    space before you can play with VMWare.

    Once you install VMWare, create a new VMWare OS, specify
    disk space. Set the CDRom on the new VMWare OS to point to
    the doenloaded sol10x80 ....iso. Start the new VMWare OS
    and it will boot from the sol10x86 ...iso ...And install from
    there.

    I tried out the sol10x86 DVD iso ... it gave me some problems..
    (sometimes the installation was frozen). Tried several times.

    Previous Sol10x86 on VMWare has had no problem, but this time
    no smooth at all to me.

    Good luck.

  9. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    On Aug 31, 10:16 am, happytoday wrote:
    > [...]
    > Strange problem . I did not face that problem with previous versions
    > of Solaris 10. I used Sun's Download Manager with the same results. I
    > used Nero to burn the DVD file : sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso.
    > Those are the steps I did . Please tell me any errors about it :

    I don't know what else to write. You haven't posted the motherboard
    model number per another person's question 8 days ago; have you run
    either of the Solaris 10's install_check_1.4.iso or sddtool_21.jnlp
    tools to help find problems with your hardware? Both tools are
    available on the Solaris 10 download pages.

    Note as Ian Collins wrote on August 23: "Solaris 10U5 has issues
    with PIII systems, check the group archives". You've crossposted
    to so many groups I don't know which archives Ian meant, but a
    Google search might help.

    I wish you success but you're not providing enough information
    to help. You should have received an email from Sun (after
    signing in for the download) offering 30 day help and support for
    installing Solaris 10u5; use it.

  10. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    Thad Floryan wrote:
    > On Aug 31, 10:16 am, happytoday wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> Strange problem . I did not face that problem with previous versions
    >> of Solaris 10. I used Sun's Download Manager with the same results. I
    >> used Nero to burn the DVD file : sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso.
    >> Those are the steps I did . Please tell me any errors about it :

    > I don't know what else to write. You haven't posted the motherboard
    > model number per another person's question 8 days ago;

    He (or she) won't. That's not what trolls do.

    > Note as Ian Collins wrote on August 23: "Solaris 10U5 has issues
    > with PIII systems, check the group archives". You've crossposted
    > to so many groups I don't know which archives Ian meant, but a
    > Google search might help.

    Both comp.unix.solaris and alt.solaris.x86 had threads in this.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  11. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    On Sep 1, 11:41*am, Ian Collins wrote:
    > Thad Floryan wrote:
    > > On Aug 31, 10:16 am, happytoday wrote:
    > >> [...]
    > >> Strange problem . I did not face that problem with previous versions
    > >> of Solaris 10. I used Sun's Download Manager with the same results. I
    > >> used Nero to burn the DVD file : sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso.
    > >> Those are the steps I did . Please tell me any errors about it :

    > > I don't know what else to write. You haven't posted the motherboard
    > > model number per another person's question 8 days ago;

    > He (or she) won't. *That's not what trolls do.
    >

    > > Note as Ian Collins wrote on August 23: "Solaris 10U5 has issues
    > > with PIII systems, check the group archives". You've crossposted
    > > to so many groups I don't know which archives Ian meant, but a
    > > Google search might help.

    > Both comp.unix.solaris and alt.solaris.x86 had threads in this.
    >
    > --
    > Ian Collins.

    I can tell you the motherboard model if this helps :
    GA-60XT
    Socket 370 Processor Motherboard

  12. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    On Sep 1, 4:09*am, happytoday wrote:
    > On Sep 1, 11:41*am, Ian Collins wrote:
    >

    > > Thad Floryan wrote:

    > > > I don't know what else to write. You haven't posted the motherboard
    > > > model number per another person's question 8 days ago;

    > > He (or she) won't. *That's not what trolls do.

    > > > Note as Ian Collins wrote on August 23: "Solaris 10U5 has issues
    > > > with PIII systems, check the group archives". You've crossposted
    > > > to so many groups I don't know which archives Ian meant, but a
    > > > Google search might help.

    > > Both comp.unix.solaris and alt.solaris.x86 had threads in this.

    > > --
    > > Ian Collins.

    > I can tell you the motherboard model if this helps :
    > GA-60XT
    > Socket 370 Processor Motherboard- Hide quoted text -

    back to that issue .
    Firstly I do not believe it is error in the download so I used SDM
    for downloading and this below the md5sums test :
    F:\operating_systems\UNIX\SOLARIS\Solaris_10_x86>md5sums sol-10-u5-ga-
    x86-dvd.iso

    MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
    Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - http://www.pc-tools.net/
    Type md5sums -h for help

    [Path] / filename MD5 sum
    [F:\operating_systems\UNIX\SOLARIS\Solaris_10_x86\]
    sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso 100%
    c810e1bc5dc96c93004a98665c2f5834

    It is the sane as in file of sun sum :
    c810e1bc5dc96c93004a98665c2f5834 sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso
    Secondly : I used two ways of burning the ISO files one is Nero burn
    ISO file and the other
    was I could not use the cdburn.exe coming with windows server toolkit
    and I had an error message .

  13. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    happytoday quoted:

    I believe you have the answer in your own post.

    >> I can tell you the motherboard model if this helps :
    >> GA-60XT
    >> Socket 370 Processor Motherboard- Hide quoted text -

    Isn't it a Pentium-III system?

  14. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    I having the same issue.. Can't burn Solaris 9 with anything tried
    many burning software NERO, MagicISO, and all fail to burn.

    Been loooking on the web and there is no real anwer to this issue..

    I'm using Windows XP to burn SOlaris 9 cd1 and Cd2

    ANyone has done this before and was able to burn it on a CD?

    Thanks

    On Sep 10, 7:09*pm, Oscar del Rio wrote:
    > happytoday quoted:

    > I believe you have the answer in your own post.
    >
    > >> I can tell you the motherboard model if this helps :
    > >> GA-60XT
    > >> Socket 370 Processor Motherboard- Hide quoted text -

    > Isn't it a Pentium-III system?

  15. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 05:18:06 -0700, cheaternews@gmail.com wrote:

    > I having the same issue.. Can't burn Solaris 9 with anything tried
    > many burning software NERO, MagicISO, and all fail to burn.

    The files are images, ISO9660 images. In Nero's window, upper left
    corner "Files" drop-down menu and look for burning an "Image".

    To check the integrity of the image files use md5sum.exe available from

    http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/md5.zip

    It's a OMG command line utility!

  16. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    cheaternews@gmail.com wrote:
    > I having the same issue.. Can't burn Solaris 9 with anything tried
    > many burning software NERO, MagicISO, and all fail to burn.
    >
    > Been loooking on the web and there is no real anwer to this issue..
    >
    > I'm using Windows XP to burn SOlaris 9 cd1 and Cd2
    >
    > ANyone has done this before and was able to burn it on a CD?

    Yes, burned them quite happily with NTI software,
    which came free with my CD burner back in the dim dark past.

    I've since purchased their software to do DVD's, it's just better,
    IMNSHO, than anything else out there. For Windows, that is.

    You are using XP, get DoISO from , it's free.
    I've been using it to burn S10 and SX (and Linux and Mac and ...) CD's
    and DVD's from ISO's, and haven't had a problem with it. (Apart from
    some of the G4's not liking Linux DVD's burnt at full speed, it can be
    useful to burn installation media as slowly as possible.)

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  17. Re: md5 and corrupted downloaded files

    cheaternews@gmail.com wrote:
    > I having the same issue.. Can't burn Solaris 9 with anything tried
    > many burning software NERO, MagicISO, and all fail to burn.
    >
    > Been loooking on the web and there is no real anwer to this issue..
    >
    > I'm using Windows XP to burn SOlaris 9 cd1 and Cd2
    >
    > ANyone has done this before and was able to burn it on a CD?

    The most common cause of problems is failure to burn the CD as an
    "image". If you burn the file, as a file, the resulting CD will be useless!

    The file you download IS the whole CD with all the proper boot records,
    file systems and everything else....

+ Reply to Thread