kmdb problem - Solaris

This is a discussion on kmdb problem - Solaris ; kmdb is working fine with the DVD solaris x86 installation file but when I tried to download the 5 files for Installing u5 of solaris 10 on PIII. I tried the GRUB command kmdb instead of cdrom with the first ...

  1. kmdb problem

    kmdb is working fine with the DVD solaris x86 installation file but
    when I tried to download the 5 files for Installing u5 of solaris 10
    on PIII. I tried the GRUB command kmdb instead of cdrom with the first
    CD but with installing from CDs the PC totally hang up after issuing
    the GRUB kmdb though it worked fine with the DVD file .

    Is kmdb command related with installing from DVD ?

    Should I gather them with copy /b and copy the ISO file generated to
    DVD burn file and try again kdmb.

  2. Re: kmdb problem

    On Aug 28, 2:36 pm, happytoday wrote:
    > kmdb is working fine with the DVD solaris x86 installation file but
    > when I tried to download the 5 files for Installing u5 of solaris 10
    > on PIII. I tried the GRUB command kmdb instead of cdrom with the first
    > CD but with installing from CDs the PC totally hang up after issuing
    > the GRUB kmdb though it worked fine with the DVD file .
    >
    > Is kmdb command related with installing from DVD ?
    >
    > Should I gather them with copy /b and copy the ISO file generated to
    > DVD burn file and try again kdmb.

    The answer to your question by Andrew Gabriel 5 days ago in
    alt.solaris.x86 was clear (copy'n'pasted from there):

    A bug with S10U5 on Pentium III systems.

    You need to invoke kmdb at boot and patch the system...

    Select the appropriate grub entry and type 'e' to edit it.
    Select the kernel line and type 'e' to edit it.
    Append -kd to cause kmdb to load and take control and hit return.
    Type 'b' to boot. kmdb will take over control when it loads.
    Issue the command "cmi_no_init/W1" to kmdb to patch cmi_no_init to a
    1.
    Issue the command ":c" to kmdb to continue running Solaris.

    You should now be able to install the system.

    You will need to do the same again to boot the installed system
    for the first time.

    When it's booted, add the following line to /etc/system:

    set cpu\.generic:gcpu_legacy_cpu_support=1

    and recreate the boot archive (not sure if necessary, but harmless):

    bootadm update-archive -f

    It should work OK then on.

  3. Re: kmdb problem

    That is not working OK.
    When I am installing from DVD kmdb is working fine.
    When I am installing from CD kmdb is not working . Computer totally
    hang up after the version message.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread