Installation problem on x86 - Solaris

This is a discussion on Installation problem on x86 - Solaris ; Hi all, This is a strange problem. Please help me as i don't know what to do or why its happening. System config: Intel Du Core : 2Ghtz RAM: 1GB Intel Chipset 80G Seagate HDD I have installed Windows XP ...

  1. Installation problem on x86

    Hi all,
    This is a strange problem. Please help me as i don't know what to do
    or why its happening.
    System config:
    Intel Du Core : 2Ghtz
    RAM: 1GB
    Intel Chipset
    80G Seagate HDD
    I have installed Windows XP SP2 on Primary Dos Partition 20G.
    installation successful
    Now I tried to install solaris. I selected interactive startup and it
    recognized my kdm and i created slices in this manner
    Selected Entire Distribution

    Created Solaris partition of 20GB
    / - 1G
    /usr - 5G
    swap 2G
    left the remaining space
    This installation was damn slow and after waiting for 20 hours it did
    not load. Not sure what was the error message when the system
    restarted automatically but when i tried to restart without cd in. it
    gave blank screen.

    Tried installation again and same

    NOW,

    Tried again selecting the 4th option of installation and went through.
    This one was installing at hell of a speed until it reached 20% appx
    after completing 700mb and it restarted automatically. Though I
    selected restart manually and auto eject( cd did not eject as well)
    Tried again with exact same result.

    Please help me on how to install solaris 10 on my computer. I'm using
    DVD install disk.

    regards,
    sarat

  2. Re: Installation problem on x86

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:44:40 -0700, sarat wrote:

    > Selected Entire Distribution
    >
    > Created Solaris partition of 20GB
    > / - 1G
    > /usr - 5G
    > swap 2G

    Better, specially for a first timer, to allocate the entire space
    available after sizing swap as one, single / partition.

    > Tried again selecting the 4th option of installation and went through.
    > This one was installing at hell of a speed until it reached 20% appx
    > after completing 700mb and it restarted automatically. Though I selected
    > restart manually and auto eject( cd did not eject as well) Tried again
    > with exact same result.

    The installation requires substantial space in /opt and /var, which with
    your little 1 GB / partition rapidly uses up available space.

  3. Re: Installation problem on x86

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:44:40 -0700, sarat wrote:
    >
    >> Selected Entire Distribution
    >>
    >> Created Solaris partition of 20GB
    >> / - 1G
    >> /usr - 5G
    >> swap 2G

    > Better, specially for a first timer, to allocate the entire space
    > available after sizing swap as one, single / partition.

    Better still if Solaris 10 isn't required, use OpenSolaris and get ZFS
    boot. No more slices to worry about.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  4. Re: Installation problem on x86

    On Aug 28, 7:01*am, Ian Collins wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    > > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:44:40 -0700, sarat wrote:

    > >> Selected Entire Distribution

    > >> Created Solaris partition of 20GB
    > >> / * - 1G
    > >> /usr - 5G
    > >> swap 2G

    > > Better, specially for a first timer, to allocate the entire space
    > > available after sizing swap as one, single / partition.

    > Better still if Solaris 10 isn't required, use OpenSolaris and get ZFS
    > boot. *No more slices to worry about.
    >
    > --
    > Ian Collins.

    ZFS is not actually required for my disk of 80GB i believe. I think ur
    talking about GRUB boot loader.

  5. Re: Installation problem on x86

    hi dave, So could you please suggest how much space should i keep for
    root. Coz i want to create a seperate slice for / and /usr and
    thought i will create slices for /var and /opt seperately after
    installation

  6. Re: Installation problem on x86

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:47:23 -0700, sarat wrote:
    > On Aug 28, 7:01*am, Ian Collins wrote:

    >> Better still if Solaris 10 isn't required, use OpenSolaris and get ZFS
    >> boot. *No more slices to worry about.

    > ZFS is not actually required for my disk of 80GB i believe. I think ur
    > talking about GRUB boot loader.

    ZFS is not "required" for Solaris or Solaris Express, but if you install
    OpenSolaris your Solaris partition will be ZFS and you have the option of
    installing Solaris Express (recent releases) using ZFS. It is called "ZFS
    boot" because your boot disk is ZFS, regardless of its capacity.

    This particular system has OpenSolaris installed in a 27 GB partition.

    $ head -1 /etc/release
    OpenSolaris 2008.11 snv_95 X86

  7. Re: Installation problem on x86

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:55:58 -0700, sarat wrote:

    > hi dave, So could you please suggest how much space should i keep for
    > root. Coz i want to create a seperate slice for / and /usr and
    > thought i will create slices for /var and /opt seperately after
    > installation

    Solaris 10 has filesystem logging enabled by default. There is no good
    reason for creating separate partitions. You are attempting to create
    problems for yourself, specially with the tiny amount of disk space you
    have allocated for Solaris.

  8. Re: Installation problem on x86

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:59:30 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > Solaris 10 has filesystem logging enabled by default. There is no good
    > reason for creating separate partitions. You are attempting to create
    > problems for yourself, specially with the tiny amount of disk space you
    > have allocated for Solaris.

    Just FYI, here is the usage on one Solaris 10 u5 amd64 system from du -sk
    executed in /:

    1 bin
    76299 boot
    1 cdrom
    428 dev
    118 devices
    70078 etc
    357322 export
    0 home
    91635 kernel
    25269 lib
    8 lost+found
    0 net
    599410 opt <== I don't even have the Studio 12 compiler installed
    33396 platform
    2427579 proc <== not actually disk space used
    1606 sbin
    6351 system
    32 tmp
    2883180 usr
    4354712 var
    0 vol

    Note that /var will keep growing as patches are applied.

  9. Re: Installation problem on x86

    sarat wrote:
    > root. Coz i want to create a seperate slice for / and /usr and
    > thought i will create slices for /var and /opt seperately after

    There are reasonable conditions for chunking up filesystems like that,
    particularly /var... but none of them really apply to a person just
    learning on a personal workstation. (And like Ian said, ZFS will make
    it ALL pointless...)

    Give slice 1 (swap) a capacity of roughly equal to your RAM size or 1G,
    whichever is greater. Give all the rest of the disk to /.

    --
    Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/

  10. Re: Installation problem on x86

    "sarat" wrote in message

    > hi dave, So could you please suggest how much space should i keep for
    > root. Coz i want to create a seperate slice for / and /usr and
    > thought i will create slices for /var and /opt seperately after
    > installation

    Having /usr, /opt and / in different file systems today is counter
    productive, it is legacy to do so.

    For workstations, development I use:

    /
    swap (1-2 times physical memory)
    (nothing more unless SAN/3-8disks quantity is required, then /apps)

    For servers I make a choice. I actually might go with the workstation in
    some circumstances but very often go this way:

    /
    swap (1-2 times physical memory, adjusted based on development)
    /var
    /apps (where applications go, and may have more underneath)

    Root / gets all the primary disk space not used by swap. Period. I tend
    not to share that with applications where I have more than 2 disks (*always
    mirror root). If an application is tame like DNS/Bind, I will share root or
    /var. But if a 5TB DN I tend not to share, not even logs/redo. I never put
    the / or /var on externally attached disk unless there is no other option.
    More than once I have had to troubleshot a FC SAN issue and it has been
    instrumental in getting the SAN people to come around.

  11. Re: Installation problem on x86

    sarat wrote:
    > On Aug 28, 7:01 am, Ian Collins wrote:
    >> Dave Uhring wrote:
    >>> Better, specially for a first timer, to allocate the entire space
    >>> available after sizing swap as one, single / partition.

    >> Better still if Solaris 10 isn't required, use OpenSolaris and get ZFS
    >> boot. No more slices to worry about.
    >>

    > ZFS is not actually required for my disk of 80GB i believe. I think ur
    > talking about GRUB boot loader.

    No I'm not (who's this 'ur' bloke?).

    ZFS is never required (well OK, it is for Sun's OpenSolaris
    distribution) but its much easier to manage. My laptop has an 80GB
    drive and it certainly uses ZFS boot.

    --
    Ian Collins.

+ Reply to Thread