Solaris 10 x86 installation problem - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 x86 installation problem - Solaris ; Hello, I donwloaded the file sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso from sun.com then I burn to a DVD and when I tried to install Solaris x86 on my PC The computer hang up after the message Of : Solaris 5.10 Version Generic-127128-11 32 Bit ...

  1. Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    Hello,
    I donwloaded the file sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso from sun.com then I
    burn to a DVD and when I tried to install Solaris x86 on my PC The
    computer hang up after the message Of :

    Solaris 5.10 Version Generic-127128-11 32 Bit
    use is lisubject to license terms .

    Any Ideas what is behind the hang up ?

  2. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    happytoday wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I donwloaded the file sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso from sun.com then I
    > burn to a DVD and when I tried to install Solaris x86 on my PC The
    > computer hang up after the message Of :
    >
    > Solaris 5.10 Version Generic-127128-11 32 Bit
    > use is lisubject to license terms .
    >
    > Any Ideas what is behind the hang up ?

    What's the PC (motherboard, CPU, RAM)?

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    On Aug 23, 10:57*am, Ian Collins wrote:
    > happytoday wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > I donwloaded the file sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso from sun.com then I
    > > burn to a DVD and when I tried to install Solaris x86 on my PC The
    > > computer hang up after the message Of :

    > > Solaris 5.10 Version Generic-127128-11 32 Bit
    > > use is lisubject to license terms .

    > > Any Ideas what is behind the hang up ?

    > What's the PC (motherboard, CPU, RAM)?
    >
    > --
    > Ian Collins.

    Pentium III Gigabyte , Intel Celeron 900 MH, 512 MB Ram .

  4. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    happytoday wrote:
    > On Aug 23, 10:57 am, Ian Collins wrote:
    >> happytoday wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>> I donwloaded the file sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso from sun.com then I
    >>> burn to a DVD and when I tried to install Solaris x86 on my PC The
    >>> computer hang up after the message Of :
    >>> Solaris 5.10 Version Generic-127128-11 32 Bit
    >>> use is lisubject to license terms .
    >>> Any Ideas what is behind the hang up ?

    >> What's the PC (motherboard, CPU, RAM)?
    >>

    > Pentium III Gigabyte , Intel Celeron 900 MH, 512 MB Ram .

    Solaris 10U5 has issues with PIII systems, check the group archives.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  5. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    On Aug 23, 12:45*pm, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
    wrote:
    > In article <8d9f3c43-f755-43d5-98b4-62e0aecc9...@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups..com>,
    > * * * * happytoday writes:

    > >> What's the PC (motherboard, CPU, RAM)?

    > > Pentium III Gigabyte , Intel Celeron 900 MH, 512 MB Ram .

    > A bug with S10U5 on Pentium III systems.
    >
    > You need to invoke kmdb at boot and patch the system...
    >
    > Select the appropriate grub entry and type 'e' to edit it.
    > Select the kernel line and type 'e' to edit it.
    > Append -kd to cause kmdb to load and take control and hit return.
    > Type 'b' to boot. kmdb will take over control when it loads.
    > Issue the command "cmi_no_init/W1" to kmdb to patch cmi_no_init to a 1.
    > Issue the command ":c" to kmdb to continue running Solaris.
    >
    > You should now be able to install the system.
    >
    > You will need to do the same again to boot the installed system
    > for the first time.
    >
    > When it's booted, add the following line to /etc/system:
    >
    > set cpu\.generic:gcpu_legacy_cpu_support=1
    >
    > and recreate the boot archive (not sure if necessary, but harmless):
    >
    > bootadm update-archive -f
    >
    > It should work OK then on.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Gabriel
    > [email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]

    I tried and it works. What can I do about the message "unable to
    configure network interface" . I typed exit and continued without Java
    but I faced a message of "Disk error : this is not Solaris CD/DVD"
    Though the DVD is well downloaded and burn it to the DVD.

  6. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    On Aug 23, 2:25*pm, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
    wrote:
    > In article <3c34d34d-673c-4489-b17e-4ef7eb21c...@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
    > * * * * happytoday writes:
    >
    > > I tried and it works. What can I do about the message "unable to
    > > configure network interface" .

    > Ignore it. That just means it couldn't automatically configure
    > the interface from a jumpstart server (which you probably don't
    > have). You get to manually configure it later.
    >
    > > I typed exit and continued without Java
    > > but I faced a message of "Disk error : this is not Solaris CD/DVD"
    > > Though the DVD is well downloaded and burn it to the DVD.

    > Can you post some console lines preceding and including the
    > error. I can't tell where you've got to from what you've said.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Gabriel
    > [email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]

    I type append -kd instead of cdrom in GRUB kernel then I am find those
    prompts :
    Welcome kmdb...
    [0]>cmi_no_init/W1
    cmi_no_init : 0 = 0x1
    [0]>:c

    Solaris installation and version
    Notice : Kernel debug present disabling console power management

    configuring devices
    \
    Error : unable to configure network interface
    exiting to shell
    #exit
    nfs mount nfs file system use [host:]path
    using RPL boot parameters host network configuration
    Then I go to installation steps till the checkbox of Manually or
    automatic rebooting then I had that error :

    Warnning :
    Error : The disk you inserted is not Solaris Operating system CD/DVD
    >pressing F2

    There were problems loading the media from /cdrom

    Though I I copied the ISO file using Nero to 2 DVD both of them are re-
    writeable ?
    Do you

  7. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    On Aug 23, 6:00*pm, happytoday wrote:
    > On Aug 23, 2:25*pm, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
    > wrote:
    >

    > > In article <3c34d34d-673c-4489-b17e-4ef7eb21c...@8g2000hse.googlegroups..com>,
    > > * * * * happytoday writes:

    > > > I tried and it works. What can I do about the message "unable to
    > > > configure network interface" .

    > > Ignore it. That just means it couldn't automatically configure
    > > the interface from a jumpstart server (which you probably don't
    > > have). You get to manually configure it later.

    > > > I typed exit and continued without Java
    > > > but I faced a message of "Disk error : this is not Solaris CD/DVD"
    > > > Though the DVD is well downloaded and burn it to the DVD.

    > > Can you post some console lines preceding and including the
    > > error. I can't tell where you've got to from what you've said.

    > > --
    > > Andrew Gabriel
    > > [email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]

    > I type append -kd instead of cdrom in GRUB kernel then I am find those
    > prompts :
    > Welcome kmdb...
    > [0]>cmi_no_init/W1
    > cmi_no_init : 0 = 0x1
    > [0]>:c
    >
    > Solaris installation and version
    > Notice : Kernel debug present disabling console power management
    >
    > configuring devices
    > \
    > Error : unable to configure network interface
    > exiting to shell
    > #exit
    > nfs mount nfs file system use [host:]path
    > using RPL boot parameters host network configuration
    > Then I go to installation steps till the checkbox of Manually or
    > automatic rebooting then I had that error :
    >
    > Warnning :
    > Error : The disk you inserted is not Solaris Operating system CD/DVD>pressing F2
    >
    > There were problems loading the media from /cdrom
    >
    > Though I I copied the ISO file using Nero to 2 DVD both of them are re-
    > writeable ?
    > Do you- Hide quoted text -

    I wrote the ISO file sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso to a new DVD-rom with
    the previous problem :
    Error : The disk you inserted is not Solaris Operating system CD/DVD

  8. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    happytoday wrote:
    > On Aug 23, 6:00 pm, happytoday wrote:
    >> On Aug 23, 2:25 pm, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
    >> wrote:

    >>> Ignore it. That just means it couldn't automatically configure
    >>> the interface from a jumpstart server (which you probably don't
    >>> have). You get to manually configure it later.
    >>> Can you post some console lines preceding and including the
    >>> error. I can't tell where you've got to from what you've said.
    >>> --
    >>> Andrew Gabriel
    >>> [email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]

    >> I type append -kd instead of cdrom in GRUB kernel then I am find those
    >> prompts :
    >> Welcome kmdb...
    >> [0]>cmi_no_init/W1
    >> cmi_no_init : 0 = 0x1
    >> [0]>:c
    >>
    >> Solaris installation and version
    >> Notice : Kernel debug present disabling console power management
    >>
    >> configuring devices
    >> \
    >> Error : unable to configure network interface
    >> exiting to shell
    >> #exit
    >> nfs mount nfs file system use [host:]path
    >> using RPL boot parameters host network configuration
    >> Then I go to installation steps till the checkbox of Manually or
    >> automatic rebooting then I had that error :
    >>
    >> Warnning :
    >> Error : The disk you inserted is not Solaris Operating system CD/DVD>pressing F2
    >>
    >> There were problems loading the media from /cdrom
    >>
    >> Though I I copied the ISO file using Nero to 2 DVD both of them are re-
    >> writeable ?
    >> Do you- Hide quoted text -

    > I wrote the ISO file sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso to a new DVD-rom with
    > the previous problem :
    > Error : The disk you inserted is not Solaris Operating system CD/DVD

    The ISO file that you downloaded must be burned to the disk as an
    "image". IOW the iso file IS the entire contents and file structure of
    a CD/DVD. If you burn it as a file, the resulting CD/DVD will not be
    bootable. I'm not familiar with Nero so I can't help you with it but
    check out the menu choices. . . .

  9. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    On Aug 23, 8:05*pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > happytoday wrote:
    > > On Aug 23, 6:00 pm, happytoday wrote:

    > >> I type append -kd instead of cdrom in GRUB kernel then I am find those
    > >> prompts :
    > >> Welcome kmdb...
    > >> [0]>cmi_no_init/W1
    > >> cmi_no_init : 0 = 0x1
    > >> [0]>:c

    > >> Solaris installation and version
    > >> Notice : Kernel debug present disabling console power management

    > >> configuring devices
    > >> \
    > >> Error : unable to configure network interface
    > >> exiting to shell
    > >> #exit
    > >> nfs mount nfs file system use [host:]path
    > >> using RPL boot parameters host network configuration
    > >> Then I go to installation steps till the checkbox of Manually or
    > >> automatic rebooting then I had that error :

    > >> Warnning :
    > >> Error : The disk you inserted is not Solaris Operating system CD/DVD>pressing F2

    > >> There were problems loading the media from /cdrom

    > >> Though I I copied the ISO file using Nero to 2 DVD both of them are re-
    > >> writeable ?
    > >> Do you- Hide quoted text -

    > > I wrote the ISO file sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso to a new DVD-rom with
    > > the previous problem :
    > > Error : The disk you inserted is not Solaris Operating system CD/DVD

    > The ISO file that you downloaded must be burned to the disk as an
    > "image". *IOW the iso file IS the entire contents and file structure of
    > a CD/DVD. *If you burn it as a file, the resulting CD/DVD will not be
    > bootable. *I'm not familiar with Nero so I can't help you with it but
    > check out the menu choices. . . .- Hide quoted text -

    Yes I burn it as ISO file but I do not know why this error appears
    even the results of dir command is below :

    G:\>dir
    Volume in drive G is SOL_10_508_X86
    Volume Serial Number is A3BE-34A5

    Directory of G:\

    03/24/2008 09:57 PM 2,048 .CATALOG
    02/27/2008 11:01 PM 92 .CDTOC
    03/24/2008 09:56 PM .INSTALL
    03/24/2008 09:56 PM 0 .INSTALL_CONFIG
    02/27/2008 11:01 PM 419 .SLICEMAPFILE
    03/24/2008 09:56 PM BOOT
    02/27/2008 11:01 PM 6,557 COPYRIGHT
    03/24/2008 09:40 PM 257 INSTALLER
    02/27/2008 11:01 PM 460,262 JDS-THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME
    03/24/2008 09:56 PM LICENSE
    03/24/2008 09:56 PM SOLARIS_10
    02/27/2008 11:01 PM 19 _VOLUME.INF
    03/24/2008 09:41 PM 26 _VOLUME_INF.1
    03/24/2008 09:41 PM 26 _VOLUME_INF.2
    03/24/2008 09:40 PM 21 _VOLUME_INF.3
    03/24/2008 09:40 PM 21 _VOLUME_INF.4
    03/24/2008 09:40 PM 21 _VOLUME_INF.5
    13 File(s) 469,769 bytes
    4 Dir(s) 0 bytes free

  10. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    On Aug 23, 8:34*pm, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
    wrote:
    > In article ,
    > * * * * happytoday writes:
    >

    > > Yes I burn it as ISO file but I do not know why this error appears
    > > even the results of dir command is below :
    > > G:\>dir
    > > *Volume in drive G is SOL_10_508_X86
    > > *Volume Serial Number is A3BE-34A5
    > > *Directory of G:\
    > > 03/24/2008 *09:57 PM * * * * * * 2,048 .CATALOG
    > > 02/27/2008 *11:01 PM * * * * * * * *92 .CDTOC
    > > 03/24/2008 *09:56 PM * *
    * * * * *.INSTALL
    > > 03/24/2008 *09:56 PM * * * * * * * * 0 .INSTALL_CONFIG
    > > 02/27/2008 *11:01 PM * * * * * * * 419 .SLICEMAPFILE
    > > 03/24/2008 *09:56 PM * *
    * * * * *BOOT
    > > 02/27/2008 *11:01 PM * * * * * * 6,557 COPYRIGHT
    > > 03/24/2008 *09:40 PM * * * * * * * 257 INSTALLER
    > > 02/27/2008 *11:01 PM * * * * * 460,262 JDS-THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME
    > > 03/24/2008 *09:56 PM * *
    * * * * *LICENSE
    > > 03/24/2008 *09:56 PM * *
    * * * * *SOLARIS_10
    > > 02/27/2008 *11:01 PM * * * * * * * *19 _VOLUME.INF
    > > 03/24/2008 *09:41 PM * * * * * * * *26 _VOLUME_INF.1
    > > 03/24/2008 *09:41 PM * * * * * * * *26 _VOLUME_INF.2
    > > 03/24/2008 *09:40 PM * * * * * * * *21 _VOLUME_INF.3
    > > 03/24/2008 *09:40 PM * * * * * * * *21 _VOLUME_INF.4
    > > 03/24/2008 *09:40 PM * * * * * * * *21 _VOLUME_INF.5
    > > * * * * * * * 13 File(s) * * * *469,769 bytes
    > > * * * * * * * *4 Dir(s) * * * * * * * 0 bytes free

    > Looks like it lost the Rock Ridge filenaming.
    > Needs to be a raw image copy, then this can't happen.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Gabriel
    > [email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]- Hide quoted text -

    Do you have a better solution (software program) to avoid that
    problem ?

  11. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    "Ian Collins" wrote in message
    > happytoday wrote:
    >>> What's the PC (motherboard, CPU, RAM)?
    >>>

    >> Pentium III Gigabyte , Intel Celeron 900 MH, 512 MB Ram .

    > Solaris 10U5 has issues with PIII systems, check the group archives.
    >
    > --
    > Ian Collins.

    Thanks for the tip. I am running I believe Solaris 10 U3 on a dual PIII
    supermicro mobo. Works fine.

  12. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

  13. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    In happytoday writes:

    >On Aug 23, 6:00=A0pm, happytoday wrote:
    >> On Aug 23, 2:25=A0pm, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > In article <3c34d34d-673c-4489-b17e-4ef7eb21c...@8g2000hse.googlegroups=

    >.com>,
    >> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 happytoday writes:

    >> > Can you post some console lines preceding and including the
    >> > error. I can't tell where you've got to from what you've said.

    >> Warnning :
    >> Error : The disk you inserted is not Solaris Operating system CD/DVD>pres=

    >sing F2
    >>
    >> There were problems loading the media from /cdrom
    >>
    >> Though I I copied the ISO file using Nero to 2 DVD both of them are re-
    >> writeable ?

    You shouldn't have two DVDs, just one. If you downloaded the DVD in
    two parts, you have to concatenate them into one ISO before burning
    it. In Windows, this works:

    copy /b sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd-iso-a + sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd-iso-b sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso

    Nero works too. You use the `create DVD from image' function. You
    have to tell it to display ISO types before you will see the file.

    >I wrote the ISO file sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso to a new DVD-rom with
    >the previous problem :
    >Error : The disk you inserted is not Solaris Operating system CD/DVD

    --
    -Gary Mills- -Unix Support- -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

  14. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    happytoday wrote:
    > On Aug 23, 8:34 pm, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article ,
    >> happytoday writes:
    >>

    >>>Yes I burn it as ISO file but I do not know why this error appears
    >>>even the results of dir command is below :
    >>>G:\>dir
    >>> Volume in drive G is SOL_10_508_X86
    >>> Volume Serial Number is A3BE-34A5
    >>> Directory of G:\
    >>>03/24/2008 09:57 PM 2,048 .CATALOG
    >>>02/27/2008 11:01 PM 92 .CDTOC
    >>>03/24/2008 09:56 PM
    .INSTALL
    >>>03/24/2008 09:56 PM 0 .INSTALL_CONFIG
    >>>02/27/2008 11:01 PM 419 .SLICEMAPFILE
    >>>03/24/2008 09:56 PM
    BOOT
    >>>02/27/2008 11:01 PM 6,557 COPYRIGHT
    >>>03/24/2008 09:40 PM 257 INSTALLER
    >>>02/27/2008 11:01 PM 460,262 JDS-THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME
    >>>03/24/2008 09:56 PM
    LICENSE
    >>>03/24/2008 09:56 PM
    SOLARIS_10
    >>>02/27/2008 11:01 PM 19 _VOLUME.INF
    >>>03/24/2008 09:41 PM 26 _VOLUME_INF.1
    >>>03/24/2008 09:41 PM 26 _VOLUME_INF.2
    >>>03/24/2008 09:40 PM 21 _VOLUME_INF.3
    >>>03/24/2008 09:40 PM 21 _VOLUME_INF.4
    >>>03/24/2008 09:40 PM 21 _VOLUME_INF.5
    >>> 13 File(s) 469,769 bytes
    >>> 4 Dir(s) 0 bytes free

    >>Looks like it lost the Rock Ridge filenaming.
    >>Needs to be a raw image copy, then this can't happen.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Andrew Gabriel
    >>[email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]- Hide quoted text -

    > Do you have a better solution (software program) to avoid that
    > problem ?

    Nero can do it. You just need to use the "Burn Image to Disk" option
    under the "Copy and Backup" heading. It expects a .iso file -- if you
    downloaded a zipped copy you might need to unzip first, but nothing
    more -- you feed Nero a single file .iso file that contains everything.

  15. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    On Aug 24, 1:13*am, CJT wrote:
    > happytoday wrote:
    > > On Aug 23, 8:34 pm, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
    > > wrote:

    * * * * *.INSTALL
    * * * * *BOOT
    * * * * *LICENSE
    * * * * *SOLARIS_10

    > >>Looks like it lost the Rock Ridge filenaming.
    > >>Needs to be a raw image copy, then this can't happen.

    > >>--
    > >>Andrew Gabriel
    > >>[email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]- Hide quotedtext -

    > > Do you have *a better solution (software program) to avoid that
    > > problem ?

    > Nero can do it. *You just need to use the "Burn Image to Disk" option
    > under the "Copy and Backup" heading. *It expects a .iso file -- if you
    > downloaded a zipped copy you might need to unzip first, but nothing
    > more -- you feed Nero a single file .iso file that contains everything.
    >
    > --
    > The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
    > minimize spam. *Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.- Hide quoted text -

    I tried that cdburn utility in in the windows server I got that
    message :

    D:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>cdburn G: -erase E:
    \operating_syste
    ms\UNIX\SOLARIS\Solaris_10_x86\sol-10-u5-ga-x86-dvd.iso
    Erasing media before burning
    Number of blocks in ISO image is 10d560
    Erasing target media
    Media erased
    Error verifying next writable address

  16. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

  17. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    On Aug 24, 9:42*pm, "Chris \"Saundo\" Saunderson"
    wrote:

    I faced that error also with a New Rom-DVD . May I have suspecy about
    the DVD-writer !!!! ????
    D:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>cdburn G: E:
    \operating_systems\UNIX\SOLARIS\Solaris_10_x86\sol-10-u5-ga-x86-
    dvd.iso
    Number of blocks in ISO image is 10d560
    Error verifying next writable address
    I may consult the maintenance to clean the mirror of the laser ?

  18. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    On Aug 24, 11:50*pm, happytoday wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 9:42*pm, "Chris \"Saundo\" Saunderson"
    >

    > wrote:

    > I faced that error also with a New Rom-DVD . May I have suspecy about
    > the DVD-writer !!!! ????
    > D:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>cdburn G: E:
    > \operating_systems\UNIX\SOLARIS\Solaris_10_x86\sol-10-u5-ga-x86-
    > dvd.iso
    > Number of blocks in ISO image is 10d560
    > Error verifying next writable address
    > I may consult the maintenance to clean the mirror of the laser ?- Hide quoted text -

    I tried cdburn with a new ISO file I faced the same problem I am
    having suspecious about the hardware of my optical DVD writer.
    Thanks

    D:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>cdburn G: :
    \operating_systems\UNIX
    \SOLARIS\Solaris_10_x86\install_check_1.4.iso
    Number of blocks in ISO image is 9756
    Error verifying next writable address

  19. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    On Aug 25, 7:18 am, happytoday wrote:

    > I tried cdburn with a new ISO file I faced the same problem I am
    > having suspecious about the hardware of my optical DVD writer.

    I don't think the issue is your DVD writer. I'm facing the same
    problem ("Error : The disk you inserted is not Solaris Operating
    system CD/DVD") installing on a Dell Optiplex 755 with the original
    DVD media (x86) provided by Sun. I just found this thread while
    investigating the issue.

    I had a similar issue some time ago trying to install from the
    original DVD (SPARC) on a Sun Enterprise T5220. The solution was to
    download the ISO images for the CD install (instead of DVD) and
    install from them.

    I will try the same with this x86 install.

    Regards,

  20. Re: Solaris 10 x86 installation problem

    On Aug 26, 11:40*am, "jav...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > On Aug 25, 7:18 am, happytoday wrote:
    >
    > > I tried cdburn with a new ISO file I faced the same problem I am
    > > having suspecious about the hardware of my optical DVD writer.

    > I don't think the issue is your DVD writer. I'm facing the same
    > problem ("Error : The disk you inserted is not Solaris Operating
    > system CD/DVD") installing on a Dell Optiplex 755 with the original
    > DVD media (x86) provided by Sun. I just found this thread while
    > investigating the issue.
    >
    > I had a similar issue some time ago trying to install from the
    > original DVD (SPARC) on a Sun Enterprise T5220. The solution was to
    > download the ISO images for the CD install (instead of DVD) and
    > install from them.
    >
    > I will try the same with this x86 install.
    >
    > Regards,

    " downloaded the DVD in two parts, you have to concatenate them into
    one ISO before burning it"
    That is very strnge becuase Solaris 10 in DVD is one DVD not two .

    Any way I tried to download the 5 files for Installing u5 of solaris
    10 on PIII. I tried the GRUB command kmdb instead of cdrom but with
    installing from CDs the PC totally hang up after issuing the GRUB
    kmdb.
    Is kmdb command related with installing from DVD ?

    Should I gather them with copy /b and copy the ISO file generated to
    DVD ???

+ Reply to Thread