What files from / should I back up? - Solaris

This is a discussion on What files from / should I back up? - Solaris ; I was thinking about the RAIDZ array, and how easy it was to export/import, when it occurred to me that an easy way to save the OS configuration so that it could be easily restored in the case of a ...

  1. What files from / should I back up?

    I was thinking about the RAIDZ array, and how easy it was to
    export/import, when it occurred to me that an easy way to save the OS
    configuration so that it could be easily restored in the case of a root
    disk failure would be to bung all the files onto the array, then just
    install S10 on a new disk, import the array, and copy the files back,
    carefully.

    So, what files make up this list?

    My quick first thoughts:
    /etc
    the various etc directories that appear in /opt/csw and /opt/sfw
    /var/named
    /boot
    But what else?

    Oh, and let us not keep a patch history - but a list of what packages
    have been installed needs to be kept, I suppose.

    Anything else I have missed?

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

  2. Re: What files from / should I back up?

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article <6gkmipFgcqffU1@mid.individual.net>,
    > "Gary R. Schmidt" writes:
    >> I was thinking about the RAIDZ array, and how easy it was to
    >> export/import, when it occurred to me that an easy way to save the OS
    >> configuration so that it could be easily restored in the case of a root
    >> disk failure would be to bung all the files onto the array, then just
    >> install S10 on a new disk, import the array, and copy the files back,
    >> carefully.
    >>
    >> So, what files make up this list?
    >>
    >> My quick first thoughts:
    >> /etc
    >> the various etc directories that appear in /opt/csw and /opt/sfw
    >> /var/named
    >> /boot
    >> But what else?

    > Just ufsdump the whole filesystem.

    Well, yes, but can it be restored from the RAIDZ to the live root FS?

    And it's just too easy, anyway.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  3. Re: What files from / should I back up?

    > > Just ufsdump the whole filesystem.
    >
    > Well, yes, but can it be restored from the RAIDZ to the live root FS?

    Certainly. Boot from DVD, format/newfs root disk if desired, import
    Zpool, ufsrestore, installboot, reboot.

    I could see some value in saving config files in the Zpool and just
    installing the latest Solaris release instead of patching or live
    upgrade. I don't know about you, but it always seems like I forget a
    few files when it comes to plans like this...

+ Reply to Thread