Mobo to OpenSolaris file server, ZFS raidz2 on SATA drives. - Solaris

This is a discussion on Mobo to OpenSolaris file server, ZFS raidz2 on SATA drives. - Solaris ; Hi, I would like to build my own OpenSolaris file server with 6+ SATA/II drives using ZFS raidz2 filesystem. It's for my data files and backup and media files (our photos and audio and video). What would be a good ...

  1. Mobo to OpenSolaris file server, ZFS raidz2 on SATA drives.

    Hi,

    I would like to build my own OpenSolaris file server with 6+ SATA/II
    drives using ZFS raidz2 filesystem. It's for my data files and backup
    and media files (our photos and audio and video).

    What would be a good motherboard for this (supported by Solaris) and
    should I go for Intel or AMD CPU? It has to have gigabit network and
    like 4GB RAM and maybe onboard graphics.

    I would like to use the mobo onboard SATA controller together with
    addon of 2 SATA controllers. Which addon SATA controller is supported
    by OpenSolaris? So that the 6+ drives can be split between the 3 SATA
    controllers. I'm thinking to use the motherboard PATA with a small
    drive or maybe USB flash drive for the Solaris OS (maybe with ZFS
    mirror) and the 6+ SATA 750GB or 1TB drives for our files.

    And what do you think about my configuration? Any suggestion to
    improve the configuration?

    Thanks
    Bent

  2. Re: Mobo to OpenSolaris file server, ZFS raidz2 on SATA drives.

    test

  3. Re: Mobo to OpenSolaris file server, ZFS raidz2 on SATA drives.

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 18:53:32 +0200, dummy wrote:

    > What would be a good motherboard for this (supported by Solaris) and
    > should I go for Intel or AMD CPU? It has to have gigabit network and
    > like 4GB RAM and maybe onboard graphics.

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/os/

  4. Re: Mobo to OpenSolaris file server, ZFS raidz2 on SATA drives.

    On Aug 2, 5:53 pm, du...@dummy.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to build my own OpenSolaris file server with 6+ SATA/II
    > drives using ZFS raidz2 filesystem. It's for my data files and backup
    > and media files (our photos and audio and video).
    >
    > What would be a good motherboard for this (supported by Solaris) and
    > should I go for Intel or AMD CPU? It has to have gigabit network and
    > like 4GB RAM and maybe onboard graphics.
    >
    > I would like to use the mobo onboard SATA controller together with
    > addon of 2 SATA controllers. Which addon SATA controller is supported
    > by OpenSolaris? So that the 6+ drives can be split between the 3 SATA
    > controllers. I'm thinking to use the motherboard PATA with a small
    > drive or maybe USB flash drive for the Solaris OS (maybe with ZFS
    > mirror) and the 6+ SATA 750GB or 1TB drives for our files.
    >
    > And what do you think about my configuration? Any suggestion to
    > improve the configuration?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bent

    Where you find that ZFS support Raid-II? Even Solaris 10 does not
    support Raid-II controllers (not 100 % sure, but for 95 %).

    Regards,
    http://andriusblo.blogspot.com

  5. Re: Mobo to OpenSolaris file server, ZFS raidz2 on SATA drives.

    On Aug 2, 5:53 pm, du...@dummy.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to build my own OpenSolaris file server with 6+ SATA/II
    > drives using ZFS raidz2 filesystem. It's for my data files and backup
    > and media files (our photos and audio and video).
    >
    > What would be a good motherboard for this (supported by Solaris) and
    > should I go for Intel or AMD CPU? It has to have gigabit network and
    > like 4GB RAM and maybe onboard graphics.
    >
    > I would like to use the mobo onboard SATA controller together with
    > addon of 2 SATA controllers. Which addon SATA controller is supported
    > by OpenSolaris? So that the 6+ drives can be split between the 3 SATA
    > controllers. I'm thinking to use the motherboard PATA with a small
    > drive or maybe USB flash drive for the Solaris OS (maybe with ZFS
    > mirror) and the 6+ SATA 750GB or 1TB drives for our files.
    >
    > And what do you think about my configuration? Any suggestion to
    > improve the configuration?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bent

    USB no problem. Can do even on SD cards. Just mind Raidz-II
    controller. Solaris 10 discontinued its support. No idea what Open
    Solaris does.

    Regards,
    http://andriusblo.blogspot.com

  6. Re: Mobo to OpenSolaris file server, ZFS raidz2 on SATA drives.

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:01:42 -0700, Andrius wrote:

    > Where you find that ZFS support Raid-II? Even Solaris 10 does not
    > support Raid-II controllers (not 100 % sure, but for 95 %).

    raidz2, not Raid-II.

    zpool(1M)

    A raidz group can have either single- or double-
    parity, meaning that the raidz group can sustain
    one or two failures respectively without losing
    any data. The raidz1 vdev type specifies a
    single-parity raidz group and the raidz2 vdev type
    specifies a double-parity raidz group. The raidz
    vdev type is an alias for raidz1.

  7. Re: Mobo to OpenSolaris file server, ZFS raidz2 on SATA drives.

    dummy@dummy.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to build my own OpenSolaris file server with 6+ SATA/II
    > drives using ZFS raidz2 filesystem. It's for my data files and backup
    > and media files (our photos and audio and video).
    >
    > What would be a good motherboard for this (supported by Solaris) and
    > should I go for Intel or AMD CPU? It has to have gigabit network and
    > like 4GB RAM and maybe onboard graphics.
    >
    > I would like to use the mobo onboard SATA controller together with
    > addon of 2 SATA controllers. Which addon SATA controller is supported
    > by OpenSolaris? So that the 6+ drives can be split between the 3 SATA
    > controllers. I'm thinking to use the motherboard PATA with a small
    > drive or maybe USB flash drive for the Solaris OS (maybe with ZFS
    > mirror) and the 6+ SATA 750GB or 1TB drives for our files.
    >
    > And what do you think about my configuration? Any suggestion to
    > improve the configuration?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bent

    why not go for a motherboard that has the SATA controllers built in?

    any board that has Intel ICH9 or ICH10 SATA controller would do the
    job.. to be safe if you are looking at a Core2 cpu, go with an Intel
    motherboard (you have a better chance having compatible SATA, LAN and
    video devices on boards)..

    if you want AMD based, a good board on the HCL would be an ASUS M2N-SLI
    Deluxe.. http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data...ails/3086.html
    , which supports 6 on-board SATA connections..

    ~k

  8. Re: Mobo to OpenSolaris file server, ZFS raidz2 on SATA drives.

    dummy@dummy.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to build my own OpenSolaris file server with 6+ SATA/II
    > drives using ZFS raidz2 filesystem. It's for my data files and backup
    > and media files (our photos and audio and video).
    >
    > What would be a good motherboard for this (supported by Solaris) and
    > should I go for Intel or AMD CPU? It has to have gigabit network and
    > like 4GB RAM and maybe onboard graphics.

    This is almost an FAQ on the OpenSolaris zfs-discuss list. Check
    through the archives on opensolaris.org for suggestions.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  9. Re: Mobo to OpenSolaris file server, ZFS raidz2 on SATA drives.

    "Keith H" wrote in message
    news:ga2dnXAl9NUYnQvVnZ2dnUVZ_o3inZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > dummy@dummy.com wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I would like to build my own OpenSolaris file server with 6+ SATA/II
    >> drives using ZFS raidz2 filesystem. It's for my data files and backup
    >> and media files (our photos and audio and video).
    >>
    >> What would be a good motherboard for this (supported by Solaris) and
    >> should I go for Intel or AMD CPU? It has to have gigabit network and
    >> like 4GB RAM and maybe onboard graphics.
    >>
    >> I would like to use the mobo onboard SATA controller together with
    >> addon of 2 SATA controllers. Which addon SATA controller is supported
    >> by OpenSolaris? So that the 6+ drives can be split between the 3 SATA
    >> controllers. I'm thinking to use the motherboard PATA with a small
    >> drive or maybe USB flash drive for the Solaris OS (maybe with ZFS
    >> mirror) and the 6+ SATA 750GB or 1TB drives for our files.
    >>
    >> And what do you think about my configuration? Any suggestion to
    >> improve the configuration?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Bent

    > why not go for a motherboard that has the SATA controllers built in?
    >

    > any board that has Intel ICH9 or ICH10 SATA controller would do the job..
    > to be safe if you are looking at a Core2 cpu, go with an Intel motherboard
    > (you have a better chance having compatible SATA, LAN and video devices on
    > boards)..
    >
    > if you want AMD based, a good board on the HCL would be an ASUS M2N-SLI
    > Deluxe.. http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data...ails/3086.html ,
    > which supports 6 on-board SATA connections..
    >
    > ~k

    I had different result with Solaris U5, my Q6600 with a ICH9 chipset and I
    get no drives found. Ran the compatibility check tool 1.4 and it said
    everything on my system was OK except disk. I do not have a IDE/ATA
    backward compatibility mode in BIOS either. It has six connectors as well
    as older IDE ones, but the drives are newer SATA 500GB disks.

    So does Open Solaris now support these Intel chipsets with SATA inside?

    In looking at google search, looks like AMD users have less trouble with
    SATA.

  10. Re: Mobo to OpenSolaris file server, ZFS raidz2 on SATA drives.

    On Aug 2, 6:53*pm, du...@dummy.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to build my own OpenSolaris file server with 6+ SATA/II
    > drives using ZFS raidz2 filesystem. It's for my data files and backup
    > and media files (our photos and audio and video).
    >
    > What would be a good motherboard for this (supported by Solaris) and
    > should I go for Intel or AMD CPU? It has to have gigabit network and
    > like 4GB RAM and maybe onboard graphics.
    >
    > I would like to use the mobo onboard SATA controller together with
    > addon of 2 SATA controllers. Which addon SATA controller is supported
    > by OpenSolaris? So that the 6+ drives can be split between the 3 SATA
    > controllers. I'm thinking to use the motherboard PATA with a small
    > drive or maybe USB flash drive for the Solaris OS (maybe with ZFS
    > mirror) and the 6+ SATA 750GB or 1TB drives for our files.
    >
    > And what do you think about my configuration? Any suggestion to
    > improve the configuration?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bent

    If you want a lot of 3 Gbit SATA ports, the ASUS L1N64-SLI WS is an
    option ( http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data...ails/2998.html
    )
    12 SATA ports, dual Athlon 64 FX cpu's, dual Gbit LAN and up to 8 GB
    of ram.
    Since you're interested in multiple SATA controllers I guess this can
    count as 2 controllers with 6 ports each. 1 controller for each of the
    two southbridges.
    There's also the WS/B version of the motherboard which supports dual
    Opteron 2000 series cpus, so dual quad-cores are possible (http://
    asus.com/products.aspx?
    l1=3&l2=82&l3=612&l4=0&model=1984&modelmenu=1).

    I'm considering the WS/B for a home file-, media- and multiple virtual
    machine server.

    Thomas

  11. Re: Mobo to OpenSolaris file server, ZFS raidz2 on SATA drives.

    tberg72@gmail.com wrote:

    >On Aug 2, 6:53*pm, du...@dummy.com wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I would like to build my own OpenSolaris file server with 6+ SATA/II
    >> drives using ZFS raidz2 filesystem. It's for my data files and backup
    >> and media files (our photos and audio and video).
    >>
    >> What would be a good motherboard for this (supported by Solaris) and
    >> should I go for Intel or AMD CPU? It has to have gigabit network and
    >> like 4GB RAM and maybe onboard graphics.
    >>
    >> I would like to use the mobo onboard SATA controller together with
    >> addon of 2 SATA controllers. Which addon SATA controller is supported
    >> by OpenSolaris? So that the 6+ drives can be split between the 3 SATA
    >> controllers. I'm thinking to use the motherboard PATA with a small
    >> drive or maybe USB flash drive for the Solaris OS (maybe with ZFS
    >> mirror) and the 6+ SATA 750GB or 1TB drives for our files.
    >>
    >> And what do you think about my configuration? Any suggestion to
    >> improve the configuration?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Bent

    >If you want a lot of 3 Gbit SATA ports, the ASUS L1N64-SLI WS is an
    >option ( http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data...ails/2998.html
    >)
    >12 SATA ports, dual Athlon 64 FX cpu's, dual Gbit LAN and up to 8 GB
    >of ram.
    >Since you're interested in multiple SATA controllers I guess this can
    >count as 2 controllers with 6 ports each. 1 controller for each of the
    >two southbridges.
    >There's also the WS/B version of the motherboard which supports dual
    >Opteron 2000 series cpus, so dual quad-cores are possible (http://
    >asus.com/products.aspx?
    >l1=3&l2=82&l3=612&l4=0&model=1984&modelmenu=1).
    >
    >I'm considering the WS/B for a home file-, media- and multiple virtual
    >machine server.
    >
    >Thomas

    Is the WS/B also supported by OpenSolaris? The reason for multible
    controllers was in case of hardware fail, but I can begin with a WS/B
    and then later extend with more SATA controllers, to fit my current
    bank account :-)

    Thanks for the links!
    Bent

  12. Re: Mobo to OpenSolaris file server, ZFS raidz2 on SATA drives.

    On Aug 26, 10:14*pm, Bent wrote:
    > tber...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >On Aug 2, 6:53*pm, du...@dummy.com wrote:
    > >> Hi,

    > >> I would like to build my own OpenSolaris file server with 6+ SATA/II
    > >> drives using ZFS raidz2 filesystem. It's for my data files and backup
    > >> and media files (our photos and audio and video).

    > >> What would be a good motherboard for this (supported by Solaris) and
    > >> should I go for Intel or AMD CPU? It has to have gigabit network and
    > >> like 4GB RAM and maybe onboard graphics.

    > >> I would like to use the mobo onboard SATA controller together with
    > >> addon of 2 SATA controllers. Which addon SATA controller is supported
    > >> by OpenSolaris? So that the 6+ drives can be split between the 3 SATA
    > >> controllers. I'm thinking to use the motherboard PATA with a small
    > >> drive or maybe USB flash drive for the Solaris OS (maybe with ZFS
    > >> mirror) and the 6+ SATA 750GB or 1TB drives for our files.

    > >> And what do you think about my configuration? Any suggestion to
    > >> improve the configuration?

    > >> Thanks
    > >> Bent

    > >If you want a lot of 3 Gbit SATA ports, the ASUS L1N64-SLI WS is an
    > >option (http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data...ails/2998.html
    > >)
    > >12 SATA ports, dual Athlon 64 FX cpu's, dual Gbit LAN and up to 8 GB
    > >of ram.
    > >Since you're interested in multiple SATA controllers I guess this can
    > >count as 2 controllers with 6 ports each. 1 controller for each of the
    > >two southbridges.
    > >There's also the WS/B version of the motherboard which supports dual
    > >Opteron 2000 series cpus, so dual quad-cores are possible (http://
    > >asus.com/products.aspx?
    > >l1=3&l2=82&l3=612&l4=0&model=1984&modelmenu=1).

    > >I'm considering the WS/B for a home file-, media- and multiple virtual
    > >machine server.

    > >Thomas

    > Is the WS/B also supported by OpenSolaris? The reason for multible
    > controllers was in case of hardware fail, but I can begin with a WS/B
    > and then later extend with more SATA controllers, to fit my current
    > bank account :-)
    >
    > Thanks for the links!
    > Bent

    I should have mentioned the support. As of yet there is no official
    support for the WS/B as far as I can tell. Probably because it's newer
    and not tested yet. The boards are virtually identical though.
    Same chipset, southbridge, dual lan chips, audio chip, firewire chip,
    connectors, board layout. etc.

    The only real difference I can see is the cpu support and the demand
    for registered memory in the WS/B due to the Opteron cpus.

    Some people even claim that the WS bios can be flashed to give it
    Opteron 2000 series support, basically converting it to a WS/B. I
    havn't found any real evidence for that though.
    The Opterons themselves are definitely supported as they are used in
    several Sun servers.
    Guess it's up to you if you want to take the chance now.

    There are a few considerations you should do for these dual cpu boards
    compared to single cpu ones.
    - Dual cpu motherboards are more expensive
    - Two cpu's are more expensive than one (duh! ;-) )
    - It will require a larger power supply.
    - It will most likely generate more heat, which means more cooling.

    There's also the fact that the AMD cpus are lagging a bit behind the
    Intel ones performance wise even though the 2300 series Opterons have
    improved quite a bit on the 2200 ones. Price/performance ratios are
    good though.

    In case you're interested I've looked at possible cases for a system
    with several hard drives that would have good hdd cooling. I came
    across some Lian-Li cases that look good. The new V-series
    http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/microsite1/new%20V.htm . The hard
    drives and power supply is in a separate heat zone away from the
    motherboard http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/prod...s_index=61&g=f
    .. It looks like there should be a good airflow across all the drives.
    The full towers have 8 internal hdd bays and 7 x 5.25" bays in case
    you need room for a few more. The Mid-tower ones have room for 6 hard
    drives and has 5 5.25" bays.

    Thomas

  13. Re: Mobo to OpenSolaris file server, ZFS raidz2 on SATA drives.

    tberg72@gmail.com wrote:

> [...]

    >There's also the fact that the AMD cpus are lagging a bit behind the
    >Intel ones performance wise even though the 2300 series Opterons have
    >improved quite a bit on the 2200 ones. Price/performance ratios are
    >good though.
    >
    >In case you're interested I've looked at possible cases for a system
    >with several hard drives that would have good hdd cooling. I came
    >across some Lian-Li cases that look good. The new V-series
    >http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/microsite1/new%20V.htm . The hard
    >drives and power supply is in a separate heat zone away from the
    >motherboard http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/prod...s_index=61&g=f
    >. It looks like there should be a good airflow across all the drives.
    >The full towers have 8 internal hdd bays and 7 x 5.25" bays in case
    >you need room for a few more. The Mid-tower ones have room for 6 hard

    Thanks Thomas for all the information, a lot of help for a beginner
    with OpenSolaris and HW for it.

    Bent

+ Reply to Thread