Guest Additions - Solaris

This is a discussion on Guest Additions - Solaris ; I am unable to install Guest Additions. I install VBOXADDTIONS 1.6.2 but when I try to run any of the .exe programs, including VBoxGuestAdditions.exe, I get an error message: Couldn't display"/media/VBOX_1.6.3_31466/VBoxGuestAdditions.exe". or the appropriate .exe program name. Can someone please ...

  1. Guest Additions

    I am unable to install Guest Additions. I install VBOXADDTIONS 1.6.2
    but when I try to run any of the .exe programs, including
    VBoxGuestAdditions.exe, I get an error message: Couldn't
    display"/media/VBOX_1.6.3_31466/VBoxGuestAdditions.exe". or the
    appropriate .exe program name.
    Can someone please advise me how to deal with this situation. I've run
    out of ideas. Thanks.

  2. Re: Guest Additions

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:13:53 -0600, RHG wrote:

    > I am unable to install Guest Additions. I install VBOXADDTIONS 1.6.2
    > but when I try to run any of the .exe programs, including
    > VBoxGuestAdditions.exe, I get an error message: Couldn't
    > display"/media/VBOX_1.6.3_31466/VBoxGuestAdditions.exe". or the
    > appropriate .exe program name.

    If your guest OS is Solaris:

    pkgadd -d VBoxSolarisAdditions.pkg

    If your guest OS is Linux:

    sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

    Only if your guest OS is Windoze would you attempt to execute
    VBoxGuestAdditions.exe

  3. Re: Guest Additions

    quoting Dave Uhring (Sun, 27 Jul 2008 17:10:30 -0500):
    > If your guest OS is Linux:
    > sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

    Works like a charm, except for OpenSuse. No result there.
    Ah well, I like Debian better ;-)

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u5 05/08 ++

  4. Re: Guest Additions

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:13:53 -0600, RHG wrote:
    >
    >> I am unable to install Guest Additions. I install VBOXADDTIONS 1.6.2
    >> but when I try to run any of the .exe programs, including
    >> VBoxGuestAdditions.exe, I get an error message: Couldn't
    >> display"/media/VBOX_1.6.3_31466/VBoxGuestAdditions.exe". or the
    >> appropriate .exe program name.

    > If your guest OS is Solaris:
    >
    > pkgadd -d VBoxSolarisAdditions.pkg
    >
    > If your guest OS is Linux:
    >
    > sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
    >
    > Only if your guest OS is Windoze would you attempt to execute
    > VBoxGuestAdditions.exe

    Thank you. I feel foolish to not have reasoned that out myself.
    Anyway, I tried out your programs and cannot get either of them to run.
    I also was unable to find the file VBoxLinuxAddtions.run on my
    machine. The find command returens: no such file or directory. I
    should have mentioned at the outset that I am running Windows XP with
    Fedora.

  5. Re: Guest Additions

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:19:36 -0600, RHG wrote:

    > I also was unable to find the file VBoxLinuxAddtions.run on my
    > machine. The find command returens: no such file or directory. I
    > should have mentioned at the outset that I am running Windows XP with
    > Fedora.

    Then your question is seriously off-topic in a Solaris NG. However,
    let's try to make some sense out of that last sentence of yours.

    Which OS is the host and which one is the guest? Only after that is
    determined is it possible to provide any sensible answer.

    You did read the PDF documentation available at the vbox web site, didn't
    you?

    http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.6.2/UserManual.pdf

  6. Re: Guest Additions

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:19:36 -0600, RHG wrote:
    >
    >> I also was unable to find the file VBoxLinuxAddtions.run on my
    >> machine. The find command returens: no such file or directory. I
    >> should have mentioned at the outset that I am running Windows XP with
    >> Fedora.

    > Then your question is seriously off-topic in a Solaris NG. However,
    > let's try to make some sense out of that last sentence of yours.
    >
    > Which OS is the host and which one is the guest? Only after that is
    > determined is it possible to provide any sensible answer.
    >

    > You did read the PDF documentation available at the vbox web site, didn't
    > you?
    >
    > http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.6.2/UserManual.pdf

    Once again, I appreciate your taking the time to answer my inquiry. I
    apologize for being in the wrong venue. Perhaps you can direct me to
    the proper forum.

    Windows XP is the host. Fedora is the guest. I tried to install
    Solaris but was unable to get it to run and installed Fedora in
    desperation. I am presently rerunning the windows executable to obtain
    the Solaris 10 image, in hopes of getting it running. I selected
    Solaris because it ostensibly had the best support and had the backing
    of a major corporation.

    Yes, I did read the PDF docs. However, I am 85 years old. If I took
    the time to read all the info, bit by bit, I would be long since dead
    before I had a chance to use the software.

    I was a UNIX software developer, management type, not a techie, for 10
    years, but got out in 1995. I did pick up a little - I know many
    commands and can get the general drift of a shell script.

    I found the shell script that installs Guest Additions, but could not
    run it as a lowly user. I logged in as root and discovered that it did
    not exist for root. At that point, I thought I'd better ask someone
    knowledgeable.

    After completing the extraction process I ended up with another copy of
    the Solaris image file. When I installed it, it did the same thing it
    did the last time; it asked me to install RecordNow from the DVD, which
    doesn't exist since it came with my WinXP OS. I also have a copy of
    os200905.iso which leads me to the same destination -- ReordNow.

    If you can make anything out of this sad saga I would greatly appreciate
    your assistance.

    Dick

  7. Re: Guest Additions

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:50:04 -0600, RHG wrote:

    > Once again, I appreciate your taking the time to answer my inquiry. I
    > apologize for being in the wrong venue. Perhaps you can direct me to
    > the proper forum.

    There is a "community" for vbox users:

    http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Community

    > Windows XP is the host. Fedora is the guest. I tried to install
    > Solaris but was unable to get it to run and installed Fedora in
    > desperation. I am presently rerunning the windows executable to obtain
    > the Solaris 10 image, in hopes of getting it running. I selected
    > Solaris because it ostensibly had the best support and had the backing
    > of a major corporation.

    Since you apparently have Fedora installed as a guest OS, let's see if it
    can be made to work properly first.

    In the upper edge of the vbox guest OS window are a few drop-down menus.
    Machine, Devices and Help. Select Devices, then Install Guest
    Additions. That should mount the VirtualBoxAdditions.iso image as a
    virtual CDROM in Fedora. Check it with 'df' and you should see an entry
    similar to /media/VirtualBoxAdditions or perhaps /media/cdrom0.

    Now, use 'su'; it is not necessary to log out as user then log back in as
    root. cd to the directory where the mounted image resides, then

    # sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

    > I found the shell script that installs Guest Additions, but could not
    > run it as a lowly user. I logged in as root and discovered that it did
    > not exist for root. At that point, I thought I'd better ask someone
    > knowledgeable.

    Just use 'su' instead of logging out and in.

    > After completing the extraction process I ended up with another copy of
    > the Solaris image file. When I installed it, it did the same thing it
    > did the last time; it asked me to install RecordNow from the DVD, which
    > doesn't exist since it came with my WinXP OS. I also have a copy of
    > os200905.iso which leads me to the same destination -- ReordNow.

    You didn't use IE for the downloads, did you? Always use Firefox for
    downloading, *never* IE.

    > If you can make anything out of this sad saga I would greatly appreciate
    > your assistance.

    It would be best if you set up your machine as a dual boot system and
    installed Solaris 10, Solaris Express or OpenSolaris as the second OS.
    If you do this be sure to re-install Windows first; then the Solaris boot
    loader will probably automatically configure your dual boot for you at
    the end of the Solaris installation.

  8. Re: Guest Additions

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:50:04 -0600, RHG wrote:
    >
    >> Once again, I appreciate your taking the time to answer my inquiry. I
    >> apologize for being in the wrong venue. Perhaps you can direct me to
    >> the proper forum.

    > There is a "community" for vbox users:
    >
    > http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Community

    I tried that first. No help. I am still getting their emails.

    >> Windows XP is the host. Fedora is the guest. I tried to install
    >> Solaris but was unable to get it to run and installed Fedora in
    >> desperation. I am presently rerunning the windows executable to obtain
    >> the Solaris 10 image, in hopes of getting it running. I selected
    >> Solaris because it ostensibly had the best support and had the backing
    >> of a major corporation.

    > Since you apparently have Fedora installed as a guest OS, let's see if it
    > can be made to work properly first.
    >
    > In the upper edge of the vbox guest OS window are a few drop-down menus.
    > Machine, Devices and Help. Select Devices, then Install Guest
    > Additions. That should mount the VirtualBoxAdditions.iso image as a
    > virtual CDROM in Fedora. Check it with 'df' and you should see an entry
    > similar to /media/VirtualBoxAdditions or perhaps /media/cdrom0.
    >
    > Now, use 'su'; it is not necessary to log out as user then log back in as
    > root. cd to the directory where the mounted image resides, then
    >
    > # sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

    I did all this exactly as described, except for the 'df' procedure. I
    used 'find'.

    >> I found the shell script that installs Guest Additions, but could not
    >> run it as a lowly user. I logged in as root and discovered that it did
    >> not exist for root. At that point, I thought I'd better ask someone
    >> knowledgeable.

    > Just use 'su' instead of logging out and in.

    Did this too. No help. As 'su' I 'cd' to /media. To my dismay the
    VBoxLinuxAdditions.run file does not exist as 'su'. As 'user' the file
    is there and readable, but will not run without administrator
    privileges. I know that is bizarre, but true!

    >> After completing the extraction process I ended up with another copy of
    >> the Solaris image file. When I installed it, it did the same thing it
    >> did the last time; it asked me to install RecordNow from the DVD, which
    >> doesn't exist since it came with my WinXP OS. I also have a copy of
    >> os200905.iso which leads me to the same destination -- ReordNow.

    > You didn't use IE for the downloads, did you? Always use Firefox for
    > downloading, *never* IE.

    I agree. I ALWAYS use Firefox.

    >> If you can make anything out of this sad saga I would greatly appreciate
    >> your assistance.

    > It would be best if you set up your machine as a dual boot system and
    > installed Solaris 10, Solaris Express or OpenSolaris as the second OS.
    > If you do this be sure to re-install Windows first; then the Solaris boot
    > loader will probably automatically configure your dual boot for you at
    > the end of the Solaris installation.

    This is the first thing I did, although with Fedora. It is such a
    hassle to switch from one to the other I decided to try xVM and Solaris.
    That is how I got into this mess in the first place. The virtue of VBox
    is that I can use Quicken without the help of CodeWeavers' Crossover.
    I'm a coward. I'm convinced I'll lose my data if I switch to some Open
    Systems software.

    Believe me, I appreciate your patience and cooperation. Thank you again.

  9. Re: Guest Additions

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:47:35 -0600, RHG wrote:

    > This is the first thing I did, although with Fedora. It is such a
    > hassle to switch from one to the other I decided to try xVM and Solaris.

    Unless you need to use some Windows specific application frequently then
    just don't reboot out of Solaris.

    > That is how I got into this mess in the first place. The virtue of VBox
    > is that I can use Quicken without the help of CodeWeavers' Crossover.
    > I'm a coward. I'm convinced I'll lose my data if I switch to some Open
    > Systems software.

    Unless you are securely backing up your data every time you update it you
    *will* lose it as long as you are using Windows. Back up your data, wipe
    the hard drive and install Solaris. Then install Windows in a vbox, which
    is the -only- way I will run that bugware.

    This system is Solaris Express build 94 running on an amd64 x2 4800+
    processor with 2 GB memory and 160 GB SATA HDD. Anything I want saved is
    copied over to another system running snv_94.

    duhring@einstein:~$ ls .VirtualBox/VDI
    billyware.vdi ubuntu.vdi lenny.vdi opensolaris.vdi slackware.vdi

  10. Re: Guest Additions

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:47:35 -0600, RHG wrote:
    >
    >> This is the first thing I did, although with Fedora. It is such a
    >> hassle to switch from one to the other I decided to try xVM and Solaris.

    > Unless you need to use some Windows specific application frequently then
    > just don't reboot out of Solaris.
    >
    >> That is how I got into this mess in the first place. The virtue of VBox
    >> is that I can use Quicken without the help of CodeWeavers' Crossover.
    >> I'm a coward. I'm convinced I'll lose my data if I switch to some Open
    >> Systems software.

    > Unless you are securely backing up your data every time you update it you
    > *will* lose it as long as you are using Windows. Back up your data, wipe
    > the hard drive and install Solaris. Then install Windows in a vbox, which
    > is the -only- way I will run that bugware.
    >
    > This system is Solaris Express build 94 running on an amd64 x2 4800+
    > processor with 2 GB memory and 160 GB SATA HDD. Anything I want saved is
    > copied over to another system running snv_94.
    >
    > duhring@einstein:~$ ls .VirtualBox/VDI
    > billyware.vdi ubuntu.vdi lenny.vdi opensolaris.vdi slackware.vdi

    Thanks again Dave,

    I had considered this a long time ago and gave up on the idea because of
    the huge amount of ancillary software I would have to install on WinXP.
    However, it never occurred to me that I wouldn't need any of it
    because the equivalent would be available in Solaris at the outset. All
    I would need would be my data files and Quicken on Windows. Years ago
    we did have a fair amount of failures on UNIX systems but most of was
    hard drives. But that is minimal now.

    My machine is very similar to yours -- an HP Pavilion a810n, with a USB
    200GB backup drive. I wish I had a backup machine instead, but I'm not
    in the business any more.

    So long.

  11. Re: Guest Additions

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:54:26 -0600, RHG wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> Unless you are securely backing up your data every time you update it you
    >> *will* lose it as long as you are using Windows. Back up your data, wipe
    >> the hard drive and install Solaris. Then install Windows in a vbox, which
    >> is the -only- way I will run that bugware.

    > I had considered this a long time ago and gave up on the idea because of
    > the huge amount of ancillary software I would have to install on WinXP.
    > However, it never occurred to me that I wouldn't need any of it
    > because the equivalent would be available in Solaris at the outset. All

    Well, you won't get Internet Exploiter in Solaris. But you can run it in
    a Windows vbox. That is the reason that I have a Windows guest OS - I
    needed IE to register some of my Sun software and my cell phone operator's
    moronic web site will not work with any other browser.

    > I would need would be my data files and Quicken on Windows. Years ago
    > we did have a fair amount of failures on UNIX systems but most of was
    > hard drives. But that is minimal now.

    AFAIK, the hard drive failure rate is the same or greater using Windows.

    > My machine is very similar to yours -- an HP Pavilion a810n, with a USB
    > 200GB backup drive. I wish I had a backup machine instead, but I'm not
    > in the business any more.

    I have 3 separate systems acting more or less as servers. The firewall
    box runs OpenBSD, the print server is on Debian Linux and the file/name
    server is snv_94. But I'm also retired and those other systems are built
    very inexpensively yet are quite useful.

+ Reply to Thread