Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp - Solaris

This is a discussion on Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp - Solaris ; Do I need to install any special drivers on Solaris 10 to get Ultra 40 M2 to work with Dell UltraSharp 1908FP LCD?...

  1. Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp

    Do I need to install any special drivers on Solaris 10 to get Ultra 40
    M2 to work with Dell UltraSharp 1908FP LCD?

  2. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, SQ wrote:

    > Do I need to install any special drivers on Solaris 10 to get Ultra 40
    > M2 to work with Dell UltraSharp 1908FP LCD?

    Nope. Why would a monitor need a device driver?

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  3. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:10:20 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, SQ wrote:
    >
    >> Do I need to install any special drivers on Solaris 10 to get Ultra 40
    >> M2 to work with Dell UltraSharp 1908FP LCD?

    > Nope. Why would a monitor need a device driver?

    Good question, but Windows needs monitor drivers

  4. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp

    On 2008-07-24, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:10:20 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:
    >> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, SQ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do I need to install any special drivers on Solaris 10 to get Ultra 40
    >>> M2 to work with Dell UltraSharp 1908FP LCD?

    >> Nope. Why would a monitor need a device driver?

    > Good question, but Windows needs monitor drivers

    They would be a pretty good idea in *nix, as well. Most users are not
    capable (or comfortable) working up modelines and manually editing
    xorg.conf files to get the resolution/depth/frequencies they need.
    Having a system that would allow the quick installation of an
    informational file with the monitor's information would be excellent.
    Then the video system can check the available resolutions of the
    monitor and video card, and only allow valid combinations, preventing
    possible damage to said monitor.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  5. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:38:19 -0500, Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-07-24, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> Good question, but Windows needs monitor drivers
    >>

    > They would be a pretty good idea in *nix, as well.

    Not necessary at all, at least with modern monitors and Solaris. I have
    no modelines, not even an xorg.conf:

    duhring@einstein:~$ ls -F /etc/X11
    gdm/ sysconfig/

    When I replaced a 17" LCD at 1280x1024x24 on this system with a 20" LCD
    at 1680x1050x24 the Xserver adapted with no input from me.

  6. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp

    On 2008-07-25, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:38:19 -0500, Joe wrote:
    >> On 2008-07-24, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> Good question, but Windows needs monitor drivers
    >>>

    >> They would be a pretty good idea in *nix, as well.

    > Not necessary at all, at least with modern monitors and Solaris. I have
    > no modelines, not even an xorg.conf:
    >
    > duhring@einstein:~$ ls -F /etc/X11
    > gdm/ sysconfig/
    >
    > When I replaced a 17" LCD at 1280x1024x24 on this system with a 20" LCD
    > at 1680x1050x24 the Xserver adapted with no input from me.

    Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the monitor.
    For instance, if I plug a *nix PC into my HDTV's VGA port, it does not
    get properly detected, and the resolution/refresh are not right.
    Since this is becoming a fairly common setup, you'd expect it to work,
    but it is a problem for many.

    There are also still some non plug-n-play monitors around, and they
    will have similar results.

    It's not much different than working with any other hardware. If the
    support already exists for the specific device in the kernel modules,
    you're all set, but if it's not, you need to manually install a driver
    (wireless cards, webcams are very commonly found to be without native
    support).

    So, what would it hurt to have a facility that can ease configuration
    in those cases where the hardware is not natively supported by the
    kernel?

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  7. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp

    On 2008-07-25, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Joe writes:
    >>
    >> So, what would it hurt to have a facility that can ease configuration
    >> in those cases where the hardware is not natively supported by the
    >> kernel?

    > Kernels don't support monitors. The system uses the VESA
    > plug-and-play data. A monitor manufacturer who doesn't bother
    > to implement that in this day and age seems even less likely
    > to provide you with an xorg.conf. Pressure should be on the
    > manufacturer to implement the standard interface (which is
    > not *nix specific), and not to produce a sticky plaster.

    I didn't say that Kernels supported monitors, nor did I suggest the
    use of "drivers", so to speak, but rather an easy interface to allow
    for simple text-based information files for non-supported monitors.

    There are ways to make *nix systems more appealing to the masses.
    Finding the ways to make them easier to configure and maintain for new
    users would certainly fit that goal.

    Such a file would require nothing from the manufacturer, if the
    manufacturer decided not to participate. Any knowledgable
    administrator would be able to create the text files to distribute on
    the web, via diskettes, or simple e-mails to allow for easy
    configuration.

    You can provide all the pressure you think you'd like to implement the
    standard interface, but the monitors are already out there that don't
    comply, and it doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult for
    someone with a little programming experience in this field to make a
    solution that makes things easier for scores of users.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  8. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp

    In article ,
    Joe wrote:
    >Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the monitor.
    >For instance, if I plug a *nix PC into my HDTV's VGA port, it does not

    What is the make and model HDTV so others won't make your mistake.

    Thanks,
    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  9. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp

    * Dave Uhring:

    >> Nope. Why would a monitor need a device driver?

    > Good question, but Windows needs monitor drivers

    In Windows a monitor doesn't really need a "driver". The monitor
    specific .inf file that most people call "monitor driver" is nothing
    else than a text file containing the supported resolutions and refresh
    rates. Often it comes with a color profile description file, too.

    Benjamin

  10. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 17:33:51 +0100, Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > * Dave Uhring:
    >
    >>> Nope. Why would a monitor need a device driver?

    >> Good question, but Windows needs monitor drivers

    > In Windows a monitor doesn't really need a "driver". The monitor
    > specific .inf file that most people call "monitor driver" is nothing
    > else than a text file containing the supported resolutions and refresh
    > rates. Often it comes with a color profile description file, too.

    Clearly you are more familiar with Windows than I am

  11. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp

    On Jul 24, 4:10 pm, Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, SQ wrote:
    > > Do I need to install any special drivers on Solaris 10 to get Ultra 40
    > > M2 to work with Dell UltraSharp 1908FP LCD?

    > Nope. Why would a monitor need a device driver?

    Actually I meant if a video card needed a driver to work with this
    monitor.
    The video card in this Ultra 40 is nVidia Quadro FX 3500 and the
    monitor
    is Dell UltraSharp 1908FP.

    I tried this LCD monitor with a Windows XP laptop and its video card
    did not work with
    LCD monitor until I upgraded its driver -- I was wonder if the same
    holds true for Solaris 10.

  12. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, SQ wrote:

    > Actually I meant if a video card needed a driver to work with this
    > monitor.
    > The video card in this Ultra 40 is nVidia Quadro FX 3500 and the
    > monitor is Dell UltraSharp 1908FP.
    >
    > I tried this LCD monitor with a Windows XP laptop and its video card
    > did not work with LCD monitor until I upgraded its driver -- I was
    > wonder if the same holds true for Solaris 10.

    Ahh, I see. Yes the video card needs a driver, but the nVidia supplied
    driver that comes with Solaris will porbably be just fine. If not,
    you can get updates from nVidia's web site.

    HTH,

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  13. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp

    On 2008-07-25, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * Dave Uhring:
    >
    >>> Nope. Why would a monitor need a device driver?

    >> Good question, but Windows needs monitor drivers

    > In Windows a monitor doesn't really need a "driver". The monitor
    > specific .inf file that most people call "monitor driver" is nothing
    > else than a text file containing the supported resolutions and refresh
    > rates. Often it comes with a color profile description file, too.

    Exactly...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  14. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp

    On 2008-07-25, John D Groenveld wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Joe wrote:
    >>Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the monitor.
    >>For instance, if I plug a *nix PC into my HDTV's VGA port, it does not

    > What is the make and model HDTV so others won't make your mistake.

    It is a wide range of them. Mine, personally, is a Visio, but in
    researching solutions, I found the same complaint of several different
    brands, including Samsung, Sony and Panasonic.

    The problem lies in the "non-standard" resolution of 1366x768, which X
    does not seem to have automatic support for. Some work creating a
    modeline is usually the answer...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  15. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 with Dell UltraSharp

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-07-25, John D Groenveld wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> Joe wrote:
    >>> Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the monitor.
    >>> For instance, if I plug a *nix PC into my HDTV's VGA port, it does not

    >> What is the make and model HDTV so others won't make your mistake.
    >>

    > It is a wide range of them. Mine, personally, is a Visio, but in
    > researching solutions, I found the same complaint of several different
    > brands, including Samsung, Sony and Panasonic.
    >
    > The problem lies in the "non-standard" resolution of 1366x768, which X
    > does not seem to have automatic support for. Some work creating a
    > modeline is usually the answer...

    Odd, I've never had a problem with my laptop (nVidia graphics) through
    the analogue monitor input.

    --
    Ian Collins.

+ Reply to Thread