Possible to boot a DVD on x86 and SPARC?? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Possible to boot a DVD on x86 and SPARC?? - Solaris ; I was thinking the other day about making a live DVD for some application. Would it be possible to make one which would boot from both a SPARC and x86 box and it automatically go to the right kernel? People ...

  1. Possible to boot a DVD on x86 and SPARC??

    I was thinking the other day about making a live DVD for some
    application. Would it be possible to make one which would boot from both
    a SPARC and x86 box and it automatically go to the right kernel? People
    often dual boot hard disks, so I guess a dual-boot DVD could be done. I
    don't know though.

  2. Re: Possible to boot a DVD on x86 and SPARC??

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article <4887b737@212.67.96.135>,
    > Dave writes:
    >> I was thinking the other day about making a live DVD for some
    >> application. Would it be possible to make one which would boot from both
    >> a SPARC and x86 box and it automatically go to the right kernel? People
    >> often dual boot hard disks, so I guess a dual-boot DVD could be done. I
    >> don't know though.

    > Not something I've thought about before,

    No, I can't imagine many wanting to do it. It was as much a thought
    experiment as anything else.

    > So I think you might be able to overlay sparc and x86 images so they
    > don't trample on each other. You might even be able to arrange for
    > shared areas (such as /usr/share).

    Thank you. If I take it any further, I'll let you know what happens.

+ Reply to Thread