sun studio 12 on linux - Solaris

This is a discussion on sun studio 12 on linux - Solaris ; Is it possible to install sun studio 12 on linux? -- Unquestionably, there is progress. The average American now pays out twice as much in taxes as he formerly got in wages. H. L. Mencken...

  1. sun studio 12 on linux

    Is it possible to install sun studio 12 on linux?
    --
    Unquestionably, there is progress. The average American now pays out twice
    as much in taxes as he formerly got in wages.
    H. L. Mencken

  2. Re: sun studio 12 on linux

    quoting Ron Ford (Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:00:49 -0600):
    > Is it possible to install sun studio 12 on linux?

    Yes.

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u5 05/08 ++

  3. Re: sun studio 12 on linux

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:00:49 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:

    > Is it possible to install sun studio 12 on linux?

    Yes, but not the Solaris version.

  4. Re: sun studio 12 on linux

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:24:00 +0200, Dick Hoogendijk posted:

    > quoting Ron Ford (Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:00:49 -0600):
    >> Is it possible to install sun studio 12 on linux?

    > Yes.

    I wasn't able to pull it off. I thought that netbeans would be a prereq
    yet found no way to make that happen. Tja.
    --
    We must be willing to pay a price for freedom. 4
    H. L. Mencken

  5. Re: sun studio 12 on linux

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 03:46:16 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:

    > I wasn't able to pull it off. I thought that netbeans would be a prereq
    > yet found no way to make that happen. Tja.

    The installation files are rpm based. Even on Debian Linux I had no real
    problems installing the complete development system. Use of the --nodeps
    argument to rpm helped a lot ;>

  6. Re: sun studio 12 on linux

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 07:30:35 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 03:46:16 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:
    >
    >> I wasn't able to pull it off. I thought that netbeans would be a prereq
    >> yet found no way to make that happen. Tja.

    > The installation files are rpm based. Even on Debian Linux I had no real
    > problems installing the complete development system. Use of the --nodeps
    > argument to rpm helped a lot ;>

    I've been looking at this lately. I'm developing an ubuntu partition, and
    I think the corresponding command is dpkg.

    I really want sun studio 12 somewhere.
    --
    Unquestionably, there is progress. The average American now pays out twice
    as much in taxes as he formerly got in wages. 1

  7. Re: sun studio 12 on linux

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 20:03:34 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 07:30:35 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    >> The installation files are rpm based. Even on Debian Linux I had no
    >> real problems installing the complete development system. Use of the
    >> --nodeps argument to rpm helped a lot ;>

    > I've been looking at this lately. I'm developing an ubuntu partition,
    > and I think the corresponding command is dpkg.

    Did you look at the contents of the tarball? Have you read the
    description of the compiler suite? It is specifically intended to be
    installed on DeadRat or SuSE, both rpm-based distributions.

    > I really want sun studio 12 somewhere.

    Then learn how to use rpm since that is the easier way to get it
    installed. OTOH, if you really insist on using dpkg then install alien to
    convert the packages and patches to .deb format.

    But dpkg is quite insistent on having dependencies met and you will have
    to place all you .deb packages into one directory and still use the
    --force=all argument to dpkg. And it still will probably not install all
    the packages and patches.

    BTW, I'm pretty sure that rpm is a dependency of alien so 'apt-get install
    alien' gives you the choice of installation method.

    Why don't you just install Solaris Express and the package version of Sun
    Studio 12? That's what I have on this system and it works very well.

    You stated that you have access to a broadband Internet connection.
    The downloads you need:

    3055943680 Jul 24 08:53 sol-nv-b94-x86-dvd.iso
    601431338 Jul 25 14:43 SunStudio12ml-solaris-x86-200709-pkg.tar.bz2
    541965312 Jul 24 11:00 patches_b94.tar

    But I also have a Debian Lenny system installed on another machine and

    duhring@maxwell:~$ ls -F /opt/sun/sunstudio12/
    LEGAL-SS12@ READMEs/ atd1@ bin/ contrib/ docs/ examples/ inventory/ lib/ man/ prod/ rtlibs/
    duhring@maxwell:~$ rpm -qa
    sun-gvim-12.0-1
    sun-mrdmk-12.0-1
    sun-mrftn-12.0-1
    [snip 54 more package names]

    The Sun Studio 12 tarball of packages for Linux:

    418234384 Jul 22 11:39 SunStudio12ml-linux-x86-200709-pkg.tar.bz2

    Then you need to search sunsolve.sun.com for the current patches for the
    Linux version of Sun Studio 12.

    You also stated that you wanted Studio 12 because of its C99 compliance,
    but recent versions of GNU gcc are also (more or less) C99 compliant.
    Have you tried using gcc?

  8. Re: sun studio 12 on linux

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 22:24:25 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    > On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 20:03:34 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 07:30:35 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    >>> The installation files are rpm based. Even on Debian Linux I had no
    >>> real problems installing the complete development system. Use of the
    >>> --nodeps argument to rpm helped a lot ;>

    >> I've been looking at this lately. I'm developing an ubuntu partition,
    >> and I think the corresponding command is dpkg.

    > Did you look at the contents of the tarball? Have you read the
    > description of the compiler suite? It is specifically intended to be
    > installed on DeadRat or SuSE, both rpm-based distributions.

    Thanks, Dave. I have to be the poster child for the "guy who can't install
    sun studio 12." I didn't read the description of the compiler suite as I
    haven't had a successful install yet. A bit of a cart and horse problem.
    I would have done well to keep better track of how I registered with Sun
    when I bought it, for support purposes.

    >> I really want sun studio 12 somewhere.

    > Then learn how to use rpm since that is the easier way to get it
    > installed. OTOH, if you really insist on using dpkg then install alien to
    > convert the packages and patches to .deb format.
    >
    > But dpkg is quite insistent on having dependencies met and you will have
    > to place all you .deb packages into one directory and still use the
    > --force=all argument to dpkg. And it still will probably not install all
    > the packages and patches.
    >
    > BTW, I'm pretty sure that rpm is a dependency of alien so 'apt-get install
    > alien' gives you the choice of installation method.
    >
    > Why don't you just install Solaris Express and the package version of Sun
    > Studio 12? That's what I have on this system and it works very well.
    >
    > You stated that you have access to a broadband Internet connection.
    > The downloads you need:
    >
    > 3055943680 Jul 24 08:53 sol-nv-b94-x86-dvd.iso
    > 601431338 Jul 25 14:43 SunStudio12ml-solaris-x86-200709-pkg.tar.bz2
    > 541965312 Jul 24 11:00 patches_b94.tar

    I'm gonna forward this to my sysadmin buddy with the broadband and burner
    and say "pretty, please."

    > But I also have a Debian Lenny system installed on another machine and
    >
    > duhring@maxwell:~$ ls -F /opt/sun/sunstudio12/
    > LEGAL-SS12@ READMEs/ atd1@ bin/ contrib/ docs/ examples/ inventory/ lib/ man/ prod/ rtlibs/
    > duhring@maxwell:~$ rpm -qa
    > sun-gvim-12.0-1
    > sun-mrdmk-12.0-1
    > sun-mrftn-12.0-1
    > [snip 54 more package names]
    >
    > The Sun Studio 12 tarball of packages for Linux:
    >
    > 418234384 Jul 22 11:39 SunStudio12ml-linux-x86-200709-pkg.tar.bz2
    >
    > Then you need to search sunsolve.sun.com for the current patches for the
    > Linux version of Sun Studio 12.

    I think it would be a good thing to have one linux that works with dpkg and
    another that works with rpm, like Solaris.

    > You also stated that you wanted Studio 12 because of its C99 compliance,
    > but recent versions of GNU gcc are also (more or less) C99 compliant.
    > Have you tried using gcc?

    C99 was one of the things I wanted from Sun Studio. I've always found gcc
    best for cross-compilation, but the development environmnet was too austere
    for me. Now they have a mingw IDE and they're working on a visual gdb.

    It's fortran 2003 that I *really* want to put in the crosshairs by having a
    gfortran and Sun install.

    --
    We must be willing to pay a price for freedom. 4
    H. L. Mencken

  9. Re: sun studio 12 on linux

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:52:17 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 22:24:25 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    >> You stated that you have access to a broadband Internet connection.
    >> The downloads you need:
    >>
    >> 3055943680 Jul 24 08:53 sol-nv-b94-x86-dvd.iso
    >> 601431338 Jul 25 14:43 SunStudio12ml-solaris-x86-200709-pkg.tar.bz2
    >> 541965312 Jul 24 11:00 patches_b94.tar

    > I'm gonna forward this to my sysadmin buddy with the broadband and burner
    > and say "pretty, please."

    He won't be able to do much with that patches tarball. You get that by
    running 'pca -d', then archiving the set of zipped files to save
    downloading time when patching your other systems.

    You will really need to take the system to the place where broadband is
    available, boot it and update your StarOffice8, VTS and Studio 12 compiler
    suite. SO8 and VTS are the only parts of SXCE for which patches are
    available. SS-12 is a separate product.

    There are several methods of patching:

    1. A GUI called updatemanager, pretty much of a POS IMHO. It's nothing
    more than a click & drool interface to smpatch. It's slow enough,
    even on a dual 2.5 GHz system, for you to take a shower while waiting
    for it to decide to do what you told it to do.
    2. smpatch, a CLI utility which once worked quite well. I haven't used
    it since Sun broke it and supposedly fixed it again.
    3. pca, Patch Check Advanced, a PERL script from Martin Paul and my
    preference:

    http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/...tallation.html

    All of these methods require a broadband connection to a patch repository,
    which for your single system will be an Internet connection with a fat
    pipe to sunsolve.sun.com.

    > I think it would be a good thing to have one linux that works with dpkg
    > and another that works with rpm, like Solaris.

    Solaris uses neither dpkg nor rpm. It has a SysV UNIX packaging system.
    Any Debian-based Linux distribution is fully capable of using both dpkg
    and rpm. As long as the package managers keep their binaries well
    separated there is little chance of collision.

    >> You also stated that you wanted Studio 12 because of its C99
    >> compliance, but recent versions of GNU gcc are also (more or less) C99
    >> compliant. Have you tried using gcc?

    > C99 was one of the things I wanted from Sun Studio. I've always found
    > gcc best for cross-compilation, but the development environmnet was too
    > austere for me. Now they have a mingw IDE and they're working on a
    > visual gdb.

    There are several IDEs available for Linux; I have no experience with any
    of them.

    > It's fortran 2003 that I *really* want to put in the crosshairs by
    > having a gfortran and Sun install.

    My IDE for FORTRAN was a keypunch, card reader and a couple of decks of
    punched cards. Fortunately I haven't had the need for any of those for 42
    years

  10. Re: sun studio 12 on linux

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > There are several methods of patching:
    >
    > 1. A GUI called updatemanager, pretty much of a POS IMHO. It's nothing
    > more than a click & drool interface to smpatch. It's slow enough,
    > even on a dual 2.5 GHz system, for you to take a shower while waiting
    > for it to decide to do what you told it to do.

    I can't agree more its a POS. I'm amazed how sloooooooooooooooooow it is
    too. I used about 3 years of CPU time on one project I worked on, but
    updatemanager made me more frustrated! PCA works well.

    dave

  11. Re: sun studio 12 on linux

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 09:36:56 +0100, Dave wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    >> There are several methods of patching:
    >>
    >> 1. A GUI called updatemanager, pretty much of a POS IMHO. It's nothing
    >> more than a click & drool interface to smpatch. It's slow enough,
    >> even on a dual 2.5 GHz system, for you to take a shower while waiting
    >> for it to decide to do what you told it to do.

    > I can't agree more its a POS. I'm amazed how sloooooooooooooooooow it is
    > too. I used about 3 years of CPU time on one project I worked on, but
    > updatemanager made me more frustrated! PCA works well.

    I suppose that Sun keeps it so that MCSEs can patch Solaris systems.
    Those people are probably accustomed to such ridiculous delays and enjoy
    them while they propel nerf balls at each other.

+ Reply to Thread