necessary memory - Solaris

This is a discussion on necessary memory - Solaris ; Hello, I want to use OpenSolaris in a desktop environment. OpenSolaris should running as basic system. On this system I plan to use up to two virtual machines simultanisly. For the virtualisation tasks I want to use VBox. One system ...

  1. necessary memory

    Hello,
    I want to use OpenSolaris in a desktop environment. OpenSolaris should
    running as basic system. On this system I plan to use up to two virtual
    machines simultanisly. For the virtualisation tasks I want to use VBox.
    One system with linux and the other with windows xp.

    Is the following hardware configuration sufficient?

    CPU: AMD 64 bit Dual Core 2,6 GHz
    Memory: 4 GByte (What is the minimum requirement?)
    Disk: 1 TByte

    MFG Stefan

  2. Re: necessary memory

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 13:22:13 +0200, stefan.sprungk wrote:

    > I want to use OpenSolaris in a desktop environment. OpenSolaris should
    > running as basic system. On this system I plan to use up to two virtual
    > machines simultanisly. For the virtualisation tasks I want to use VBox.
    > One system with linux and the other with windows xp.

    Here only one guest is running, winxp:

    NPROC USERNAME SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME CPU
    38 duhring 711M 884M 45% 1:38:49 5.5%
    35 root 101M 119M 6.0% 0:04:03 0.8%
    2 postfix 912K 3536K 0.2% 0:00:00 0.0%
    1 lp 312K 3896K 0.2% 0:00:01 0.0%
    6 daemon 8596K 11M 0.6% 0:00:00 0.0%
    1 dladm 536K 1968K 0.1% 0:00:00 0.0%

    Total: 83 processes, 273 lwps, load averages: 0.18, 0.11, 0.07

    > Is the following hardware configuration sufficient?
    >
    > CPU: AMD 64 bit Dual Core 2,6 GHz
    > Memory: 4 GByte (What is the minimum requirement?)
    > Disk: 1 TByte

    My system has amd64 x2 2.4 GHz, 2 GB memory. Disk size is somewhat
    irrelevant since you can easily fit OpenSolaris and 2 guests into a
    25 GB partition with room left over.

    Your 4 GB memory might be sufficient, but everything depends on the
    resource requirements of your guest OSs. If you run some memory hog in
    windows which requires 2 GB for itself then 4 GB is going to be inadequate.

  3. Re: necessary memory

    stefan.sprungk wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I want to use OpenSolaris in a desktop environment. OpenSolaris should
    > running as basic system. On this system I plan to use up to two virtual
    > machines simultanisly. For the virtualisation tasks I want to use VBox.
    > One system with linux and the other with windows xp.
    >
    > Is the following hardware configuration sufficient?
    >
    > CPU: AMD 64 bit Dual Core 2,6 GHz
    > Memory: 4 GByte (What is the minimum requirement?)

    That's the same as my desktop and it'll be fine for your purpose. I run
    a Solaris 10 and a Win2K VM with 512MB each plus a massive desktop on
    the that box.

    2GB of RAM was too small, 4GB is ideal.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  4. Re: necessary memory

    Ian Collins schrieb:

    >> CPU: AMD 64 bit Dual Core 2,6 GHz
    >> Memory: 4 GByte (What is the minimum requirement?)

    > That's the same as my desktop and it'll be fine for your purpose. I run
    > a Solaris 10 and a Win2K VM with 512MB each plus a massive desktop on
    > the that box.
    >
    > 2GB of RAM was too small, 4GB is ideal.

    Thank you very much for answering. Now I have testet. Together with one
    virtual machine (debian etch) the system behaviour is very relaxed.

    Each cpu has a medium load of 19 percent. It uses seventy percent of the
    memory.

    Stefan

  5. Re: necessary memory

    stefan.sprungk wrote:
    > Ian Collins schrieb:
    >
    >>> CPU: AMD 64 bit Dual Core 2,6 GHz
    >>> Memory: 4 GByte (What is the minimum requirement?)

    >> That's the same as my desktop and it'll be fine for your purpose. I run
    >> a Solaris 10 and a Win2K VM with 512MB each plus a massive desktop on
    >> the that box.
    >>
    >> 2GB of RAM was too small, 4GB is ideal.
    >>

    > Thank you very much for answering. Now I have testet. Together with one
    > virtual machine (debian etch) the system behaviour is very relaxed.
    >
    > Each cpu has a medium load of 19 percent. It uses seventy percent of the
    > memory.

    On OpenSolaris, how do you measure memory usage?

  6. Re: necessary memory

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Thommy M. wrote:

    > On OpenSolaris, how do you measure memory usage?

    I use prstat -t:

    rich@marrakesh4103# prstat -s size -t
    NPROC USERNAME SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME CPU
    40 rich 633M 776M 19% 1:48:07 0.4%
    35 root 54M 64M 1.6% 0:01:10 0.0%
    1 noaccess 70M 54M 1.3% 0:03:30 0.0%
    5 daemon 4456K 7176K 0.2% 0:00:00 0.0%
    1 smmsp 1012K 1864K 0.0% 0:00:00 0.0%

    Total: 82 processes, 293 lwps, load averages: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory