installing sun studio 12 - Solaris

This is a discussion on installing sun studio 12 - Solaris ; http://i25.tinypic.com/wkrdbk.png How do I, in super-user mode, reference an installer that is on a cd-rom which, on OS, has no drive letter? Readme.txt has the following: 1. If you are not currently superuser, become a superuser (root) by typing: % ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. installing sun studio 12

    http://i25.tinypic.com/wkrdbk.png

    How do I, in super-user mode, reference an installer that is on a cd-rom
    which, on OS, has no drive letter?

    Readme.txt has the following:

    1. If you are not currently superuser, become a superuser (root)
    by typing:

    % su
    Password: [root-password]

    2. To install the Sun Studio software, run the graphical user
    interface installer by typing:

    # ./installer

    --
    Temptation is an irresistible force at work on a movable body.
    H. L. Mencken

  2. Re: installing sun studio 12

    Ron Ford wrote:
    > http://i25.tinypic.com/wkrdbk.png
    >
    > How do I, in super-user mode, reference an installer that is on a cd-rom
    > which, on OS, has no drive letter?

    Drive letter???

    > Readme.txt has the following:
    >
    > 1. If you are not currently superuser, become a superuser (root)
    > by typing:
    >
    > % su
    > Password: [root-password]
    >
    > 2. To install the Sun Studio software, run the graphical user
    > interface installer by typing:
    >
    > # ./installer

    Looks like you're on OpenSolaris 2008.05 with the IPS, then the command
    for installing the compiler/developer tools is
    $ pfexec pkg install ss-dev

    If you have to take it from CD then cd to the directory of the file
    installer. Something like
    # cd /cdrom/SDNAllAccessKit0907b/SunStudio12/Solaris_x86

  3. Re: installing sun studio 12

    Ron Ford wrote:
    > http://i25.tinypic.com/wkrdbk.png
    >
    > How do I, in super-user mode, reference an installer that is on a cd-rom
    > which, on OS, has no drive letter?

    Drive letter? Solaris doesn't have drive letters.

    If you are using Solaris, go to /cdrom or if you use OpenSolaris, /media

    --
    Ian Collins.

  4. Re: installing sun studio 12

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 00:09:59 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:

    > How do I, in super-user mode, reference an installer that is on a cd-rom
    > which, on OS, has no drive letter?

    Real operating systems designate such devices by unchanging names rather
    than ambiguous letters. IOW, on a Windows box, "C" is the HDD which
    contains the OS and may be any of a variety of devices.

    But what is "D"? It may be a separate drive or it may be a second
    partition on the same drive as "C".

    You are going to need to learn some terminology and a few other things.
    A reasonably good introduction is the Solaris OS Guide for New System
    Administrators,

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/...olsysadmin.pdf

    > Readme.txt has the following:
    >
    > 1. If you are not currently superuser, become a superuser (root) by
    > typing:
    >
    > % su
    > Password: [root-password]
    >
    > 2. To install the Sun Studio software, run the graphical user interface
    > installer by typing:
    >
    > # ./installer

    The current working directory is denoted by the dot "." The instructions
    should have told you to cd (change directory) to where that script is
    located. In your case that is /media/SDNAllAccessKit0907b; i.e.,

    # cd /media/SDNAllAccessKit0907b
    # ./installer or better yet, ./installer &

    Note that this version of Sun Studio12 is somewhat long in the tooth and
    requires about a dozen patches in addition to those already on the CD.
    But OpenSolaris package system is incompatible with the standard Solaris
    package system and the patches will fail, leaving you with a somewhat
    defective compiler suite.

    Better to open the OS package manager, System -> Administration -> Package
    Manager, scroll to the bottom of the list and check ss-dev, then
    Install/Update.

  5. Re: installing sun studio 12

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 00:09:59 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:

    > http://i25.tinypic.com/wkrdbk.png
    > How do I, in super-user mode, reference an installer that is on a cd-rom
    > which, on OS, has no drive letter?

    According to the URL you were using a File Browser GUI.
    "installer" is right there on the flaming screen mate.
    Just double click on "installer" and see where that takes you.

    > Readme.txt has the following:
    > 1. If you are not currently superuser, become a superuser (root)
    > by typing:
    > % su
    > Password: [root-password]
    > 2. To install the Sun Studio software, run the graphical user
    > interface installer by typing:
    > # ./installer

  6. Re: installing sun studio 12

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 07:35:57 -0700, AGT wrote:

    > According to the URL you were using a File Browser GUI.
    > "installer" is right there on the flaming screen mate.
    > Just double click on "installer" and see where that takes you.

    Not very far, really. One must needs be root to execute that script.

    The OP really doesn't want that version of the compiler. It cannot be
    patched on OpenSolaris. In fact, no Solaris patches will apply on
    OpenSolaris.

  7. Re: installing sun studio 12

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 07:35:57 -0700, AGT wrote:
    >
    >> According to the URL you were using a File Browser GUI.
    >> "installer" is right there on the flaming screen mate.
    >> Just double click on "installer" and see where that takes you.

    > Not very far, really. One must needs be root to execute that script.
    >
    > The OP really doesn't want that version of the compiler. It cannot be
    > patched on OpenSolaris. In fact, no Solaris patches will apply on
    > OpenSolaris.

    Except for unbundled product patches (correctly installed Studio and
    StarOffice for example).

    --
    Ian Collins.

  8. Re: installing sun studio 12

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 08:09:34 +1200, Ian Collins wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> The OP really doesn't want that version of the compiler. It cannot be
    >> patched on OpenSolaris. In fact, no Solaris patches will apply on
    >> OpenSolaris.
    >>

    > Except for unbundled product patches (correctly installed Studio and
    > StarOffice for example).

    I have tried the same installation and it fails for the reason I stated,
    regardless of what patch is being installed. The OpenSolaris package
    system strips everything in /var/sadm/pkg/pkg_name/ except for two files
    with pkginfo names. patchadd cannot work without the normal package
    information.

    This is a b_91 system with the same compiler the OP is trying to install.

    duhring@einstein:~$ ls /var/sadm/pkg/SPROcc/save
    124868-01 124868-05 pspool

    Those patches simply will not install on an OpenSolaris system for the
    simple reason that the directory /var/sadm/pkg/SPROcc/save does *not*
    exist. Now it -may- be possible to mkdir /var/sadm/pkg/SPROcc/save and
    get the patches to apply; I don't know - that's too much of a hack even
    for me.

  9. Re: installing sun studio 12

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 15:35:08 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 08:09:34 +1200, Ian Collins wrote:
    >> Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> The OP really doesn't want that version of the compiler. It cannot be
    >>> patched on OpenSolaris. In fact, no Solaris patches will apply on
    >>> OpenSolaris.
    >>>

    >> Except for unbundled product patches (correctly installed Studio and
    >> StarOffice for example).

    > I have tried the same installation and it fails for the reason I stated,
    > regardless of what patch is being installed. The OpenSolaris package
    > system strips everything in /var/sadm/pkg/pkg_name/ except for two files
    > with pkginfo names. patchadd cannot work without the normal package
    > information.
    >
    > This is a b_91 system with the same compiler the OP is trying to install.
    >
    > duhring@einstein:~$ ls /var/sadm/pkg/SPROcc/save
    > 124868-01 124868-05 pspool
    >
    > Those patches simply will not install on an OpenSolaris system for the
    > simple reason that the directory /var/sadm/pkg/SPROcc/save does *not*
    > exist. Now it -may- be possible to mkdir /var/sadm/pkg/SPROcc/save and
    > get the patches to apply; I don't know - that's too much of a hack even
    > for me.

    Thanks all for responses. I seem to be at the base of a learning curve. I
    have a visceral need to install sun studio 12, as I think this will give me
    c99 and fortran 2003 less parameterized derived types.

    Also the need to run an executable looms large in order for me to get my
    winmodem running. They've got a liux-based organization that looks at the
    tea leaves after you run this executable and tells you what you need to do
    to emulate the windows capability.

    I'll take these messages and head on over to the other side.
    --
    The only really happy folk are married women and single men.
    H. L. Mencken

  10. Re: installing sun studio 12

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:34:33 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 07:35:57 -0700, AGT wrote:
    >
    >> According to the URL you were using a File Browser GUI.
    >> "installer" is right there on the flaming screen mate.
    >> Just double click on "installer" and see where that takes you.

    > Not very far, really. One must needs be root to execute that script.
    >
    > The OP really doesn't want that version of the compiler. It cannot be
    > patched on OpenSolaris. In fact, no Solaris patches will apply on
    > OpenSolaris.

    Dave,

    Given that I have a brand, spanking new OpenSolaris partition, what would
    you recommend I change it too?
    --
    In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful
    for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican.

  11. Re: installing sun studio 12

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 15:53:59 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:34:33 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    >> The OP really doesn't want that version of the compiler. It cannot be
    >> patched on OpenSolaris. In fact, no Solaris patches will apply on
    >> OpenSolaris.

    > Given that I have a brand, spanking new OpenSolaris partition, what would
    > you recommend I change it too?

    Change it? What for? The Studio12 compiler is available for OpenSolaris
    using the OpenSolaris pkg utility.

    pkg install sunstudio

    It magically downloads the package over the Internet and installs it.

    You may need to upgrade your installation to the most recent, however, as
    the package may be available only for version b_91. If you are on dialup
    this is something of a problem as the upgrade requires over 500 MB of
    downloaded bits just for the base installation.

  12. Re: installing sun studio 12

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 17:21:59 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 15:53:59 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:
    >> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:34:33 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    >>> The OP really doesn't want that version of the compiler. It cannot be
    >>> patched on OpenSolaris. In fact, no Solaris patches will apply on
    >>> OpenSolaris.

    >> Given that I have a brand, spanking new OpenSolaris partition, what would
    >> you recommend I change it too?

    > Change it? What for? The Studio12 compiler is available for OpenSolaris
    > using the OpenSolaris pkg utility.
    >
    > pkg install sunstudio
    >
    > It magically downloads the package over the Internet and installs it.
    >
    > You may need to upgrade your installation to the most recent, however, as
    > the package may be available only for version b_91. If you are on dialup
    > this is something of a problem as the upgrade requires over 500 MB of
    > downloaded bits just for the base installation.

    I think I might be screwed here. This is what the SunStudio installer had
    to say ultimately:

    Approved patches will be installed in this order:

    124876-02

    Checking installed patches...
    ERROR: This patch requires patch 124873-01
    which has not been applied to the system.

    Patchadd is terminating.

    Apparently, you need Netbeans in order for sun studio12 to work. I think I
    got what it's asking for:

    http://i38.tinypic.com/288bgj8.png

    Everything on that page I have on disc. I think I installed netbeans
    correctly:

    http://i33.tinypic.com/1zb40ae.png

    Maybe because I installed netbeans *after* sunstudio 12, it doesn't work.
    Sigh.

    If it were windows at this point, I would go into the control panel, remove
    it, and re-install. I'm curious what others would do in my stead.

    --
    If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to
    please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

  13. Re: installing sun studio 12

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 07:09:24 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 00:09:59 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:
    >
    >> How do I, in super-user mode, reference an installer that is on a cd-rom
    >> which, on OS, has no drive letter?

    > Real operating systems designate such devices by unchanging names rather
    > than ambiguous letters. IOW, on a Windows box, "C" is the HDD which
    > contains the OS and may be any of a variety of devices.
    >
    > But what is "D"? It may be a separate drive or it may be a second
    > partition on the same drive as "C".
    >
    > You are going to need to learn some terminology and a few other things.
    > A reasonably good introduction is the Solaris OS Guide for New System
    > Administrators,
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/...olsysadmin.pdf

    A very good read. Useful links too.

    >> Readme.txt has the following:
    >>
    >> 1. If you are not currently superuser, become a superuser (root) by
    >> typing:
    >>
    >> % su
    >> Password: [root-password]
    >>
    >> 2. To install the Sun Studio software, run the graphical user interface
    >> installer by typing:
    >>
    >> # ./installer

    > The current working directory is denoted by the dot "." The instructions
    > should have told you to cd (change directory) to where that script is
    > located. In your case that is /media/SDNAllAccessKit0907b; i.e.,
    >
    > # cd /media/SDNAllAccessKit0907b
    > # ./installer or better yet, ./installer &
    >
    > Note that this version of Sun Studio12 is somewhat long in the tooth and
    > requires about a dozen patches in addition to those already on the CD.
    > But OpenSolaris package system is incompatible with the standard Solaris
    > package system and the patches will fail, leaving you with a somewhat
    > defective compiler suite.
    >
    > Better to open the OS package manager, System -> Administration -> Package
    > Manager, scroll to the bottom of the list and check ss-dev, then
    > Install/Update.

    I have a winmodem, so I won't be able to do that if it relies on internet
    connectivity.
    --
    Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
    H. L. Mencken

  14. Re: installing sun studio 12

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:13:48 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 17:21:59 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    >> Change it? What for? The Studio12 compiler is available for OpenSolaris
    >> using the OpenSolaris pkg utility.
    >>
    >> pkg install sunstudio
    >>
    >> It magically downloads the package over the Internet and installs it.
    >>
    >> You may need to upgrade your installation to the most recent, however, as
    >> the package may be available only for version b_91. If you are on dialup
    >> this is something of a problem as the upgrade requires over 500 MB of
    >> downloaded bits just for the base installation.

    > I think I might be screwed here. This is what the SunStudio installer had
    > to say ultimately:
    >

    > Approved patches will be installed in this order:
    >
    > 124876-02
    >

    > Checking installed patches...
    > ERROR: This patch requires patch 124873-01
    > which has not been applied to the system.

    I told you as clearly as it is possible that you are attempting to install
    a version of Studio12 which will *not* install properly on OpenSolaris.
    The normal Solaris patch infrastructure will not work in OpenSolaris.

    If my admonition had not been enough you could have found your way to this
    page and discovered the proper way to get Studio12 installed on your
    system:

    http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content...stdevsoft.html

  15. Re: installing sun studio 12

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:43:17 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 07:09:24 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    >> Better to open the OS package manager, System -> Administration -> Package
    >> Manager, scroll to the bottom of the list and check ss-dev, then
    >> Install/Update.

    > I have a winmodem, so I won't be able to do that if it relies on internet
    > connectivity.

    Throw that thing away and purchase an external modem. That winmodem is
    not worth 5 bucks so its replacement is almost painless.

    But even that is not going to help much in getting Studio12 installed on
    your system. The download is 566.18 MB in addition to the 92.83 MB of
    prerequisite Java 6 packages.

    You do have the option of installing the GNU C Compiler collection and
    whatever header packages you might need.

    pkg install SUNWgcc SUNWhea

    will get you the bare minimum.

  16. Re: installing sun studio 12

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 21:52:26 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:13:48 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:
    >> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 17:21:59 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    >>> Change it? What for? The Studio12 compiler is available for OpenSolaris
    >>> using the OpenSolaris pkg utility.
    >>>
    >>> pkg install sunstudio
    >>>
    >>> It magically downloads the package over the Internet and installs it.
    >>>
    >>> You may need to upgrade your installation to the most recent, however, as
    >>> the package may be available only for version b_91. If you are on dialup
    >>> this is something of a problem as the upgrade requires over 500 MB of
    >>> downloaded bits just for the base installation.

    >> I think I might be screwed here. This is what the SunStudio installer had
    >> to say ultimately:
    >>

    >> Approved patches will be installed in this order:
    >>
    >> 124876-02
    >>

    >> Checking installed patches...
    >> ERROR: This patch requires patch 124873-01
    >> which has not been applied to the system.

    > I told you as clearly as it is possible that you are attempting to install
    > a version of Studio12 which will *not* install properly on OpenSolaris.
    > The normal Solaris patch infrastructure will not work in OpenSolaris.
    >
    > If my admonition had not been enough you could have found your way to this
    > page and discovered the proper way to get Studio12 installed on your
    > system:
    >
    > http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content...stdevsoft.html

    You can say words like "patch," and I will associate it with what I know
    from windows. There are probably 50 patches for IE that I don't download
    and never have a problem. Could whatever issue the patch addresses
    (usually security with windows) be something unnecessary to having a humble
    sun studio 12 capability with OS, which is the only Sun OS I've got?

    I think the more plausible reason that the sun studio install failed was
    that I hadn't installed netbeans, even when it told me that it was a
    pre-req.

    The above link reinforces the view that I needed to do netbeans first. It
    also seems to speak to what I might do to uninstall the previous ss12 with
    the pkg uninstall command. (I've bookmarked it.) Thanks for your reply,
    --
    In war the heroes always outnumber the soldiers ten to one.
    H. L. Mencken

  17. Re: installing sun studio 12

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 08:09:34 +1200, Ian Collins wrote:
    >> Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> The OP really doesn't want that version of the compiler. It cannot be
    >>> patched on OpenSolaris. In fact, no Solaris patches will apply on
    >>> OpenSolaris.
    >>>

    >> Except for unbundled product patches (correctly installed Studio and
    >> StarOffice for example).

    > Those patches simply will not install on an OpenSolaris system for the
    > simple reason that the directory /var/sadm/pkg/SPROcc/save does *not*
    > exist. Now it -may- be possible to mkdir /var/sadm/pkg/SPROcc/save and
    > get the patches to apply; I don't know - that's too much of a hack even
    > for me.

    Ah, that OpenSolaris. I was referring to SXCE.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  18. Re: installing sun studio 12

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 22:59:28 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 21:52:26 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:
    >> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:13:48 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:

    >>> I think I might be screwed here. This is what the SunStudio installer had
    >>> to say ultimately:
    >>>

    >>> Approved patches will be installed in this order:
    >>>
    >>> 124876-02
    >>>

    >>> Checking installed patches...
    >>> ERROR: This patch requires patch 124873-01
    >>> which has not been applied to the system.

    > You can say words like "patch," and I will associate it with what I know
    > from windows. There are probably 50 patches for IE that I don't download
    > and never have a problem. Could whatever issue the patch addresses
    > (usually security with windows) be something unnecessary to having a humble
    > sun studio 12 capability with OS, which is the only Sun OS I've got?

    These patches have nothing to do with security but rather functionality.
    If you want to know what each patch fixes there is a README file contained
    within each patch.

    Among other problems fixed by this particular patch:

    6519195 "Remove Mapping" button does not work properly
    6557026 Step into(F7 shortcut) action is disabled when no debug session were started.
    6375252 NEW IDE: "Memory" window does not support multithreading and multiprocessing
    6504090 "Del" Shortcut key for Watch tab is needed to delete selected watch
    6574516 Window/Debugging menu items are not disabled if no debug session runs
    6573554 Address can not be re-entered in Disassembler
    6544352 Debugger does not show current position in source when disassembler is ON

    There are about 80 BugID's fixed with that patch.

    > I think the more plausible reason that the sun studio install failed was
    > that I hadn't installed netbeans, even when it told me that it was a
    > pre-req.

    Not. The error message told you exactly why the patch would not apply.
    The prerequisite patch 124873-01 has not been applied. 124873-01 is a
    patch to fix about 40 BugIDs associated with the Sun Studio 12 Debugger.

    > The above link reinforces the view that I needed to do netbeans first.
    > It also seems to speak to what I might do to uninstall the previous ss12
    > with the pkg uninstall command. (I've bookmarked it.) Thanks for your
    > reply,

    Not having tried to use "pkg uninstall" with problematic packages I can't
    say whether that would work or not. However, you do have the compiler
    suite installed although it is buggy and it may be adequate for your
    purposes. You may as well try to use it.

    I had previously suggested a possible solution to the problem of applying
    patches on OpenSolaris which you might consider. Look for directories
    under /var/sadm/pkg which have names starting with SPRO. Under each of
    these directories create a new directory named "save". Then attempt to
    apply your patches beginning with 124873-01, which will be on your CD.

    You also have some other possible options. At one time Sun was offering
    to send free DVD's containing Solaris 10. Solaris 10 has all the
    necessary structure to fully enable the compiler installation along with
    its patches.

    If you have broadband Internet access at work or elsewhere, or if one of
    your friends has broadband then you can download CD or DVD images of
    Solaris 10 or Solaris Express Community Edition (SXCE). SXCE would
    probably be somewhat easier for you to adapt to than Solaris 10.

    While you have broadband access you would also want to download the most
    current patches for Studio 12. My tarball of those, including the patch
    for StarOffice 8 is about 360 MB, most of which is the SO8 patch. I'll
    provide the patch numbers if you wish.

    The ISO image sizes are a little over 2.1 GB for Solaris 10 and about 3.8
    GB for SXCE b_91. You would require somewhat more HDD space for either of
    these than for OpenSolaris and you would certainly want to perform a
    "Complete" installation of either.

  19. Re: installing sun studio 12

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 03:33:09 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

> [...]

    > necessary structure to fully enable the compiler installation along with
    > its patches.
    >
    > If you have broadband Internet access at work or elsewhere, or if one of
    > your friends has broadband then you can download CD or DVD images of
    > Solaris 10 or Solaris Express Community Edition (SXCE). SXCE would
    > probably be somewhat easier for you to adapt to than Solaris 10.
    >
    > While you have broadband access you would also want to download the most
    > current patches for Studio 12. My tarball of those, including the patch
    > for StarOffice 8 is about 360 MB, most of which is the SO8 patch. I'll
    > provide the patch numbers if you wish.
    >
    > The ISO image sizes are a little over 2.1 GB for Solaris 10 and about 3.8
    > GB for SXCE b_91. You would require somewhat more HDD space for either of
    > these than for OpenSolaris and you would certainly want to perform a

    Thanks for your generous response, Dave. I do have a friend with whom I
    trade favors who will download and burn stuff for me. I would like to make
    a list of everything I would need, so I would be grateful for those patch
    numbers or a link.

    So the list of things to download and burn is:
    1) Solaris Express Community Edition (SXCE)
    2) The S08 patch
    3) ...?
    --
    To die for an idea; it is unquestionably noble. But how much nobler it
    would be if men died for ideas that were true!

  20. Re: installing sun studio 12

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 18:12:36 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:

    > So the list of things to download and burn is:
    > 1) Solaris Express Community Edition (SXCE)

    Go here: http://www.opensolaris.org/os/downloads/ to find the link to the
    SXCE downloads.

    b_91 was still available a few hours ago. The next release should be up
    by now if their bi-weekly schedule is anywhere close to being followed.

    The complete installation will require at least 8 GB for the root
    filesystem, a swap area equal to 1/2 of your RAM quantity plus some space
    for user's home directories in /export/home.

    > 2) The S08 patch

    That one is 120186-16; it's about 270 MB.

    > 3) ...?

    The others I have on hand are:

    duhring@einstein:/tmp/p/u$ ls
    124864-04.zip 124869-02.zip 125062-04.zip 126498-06.zip 127002-04.zip
    124868-05.zip 124873-04.zip 126496-02.zip 126996-03.zip 127144-03.zip

    Your CD has a number of patches on it which must be applied at the time
    you install the compiler suite before those can be applied.

    When you go to Sun's Download Center to get the SXCE image you will be
    required to register with Sun. No big thing. Make note of your login
    name and password because you will need it to access the patches which are
    available for Studio 12 and StarOffice.

    There are several ways of getting and applying the patches. If you are
    on-line with a broadband connection, then pca is my favorite method. You
    can also download the patches separately, if you know their numbers, from
    SunSolve: http://sunsolve.sun.com/show.do?target=patchpage.

    There is also a page accessible from there which will list the patches
    available for Studio 12 and StarOffice. Note that no patches will be
    available for the operating system since a whole new version of the OS
    will be made available within just a few weeks.

    Indeed, you may not even need the StarOffice patch if you wait a few days
    to get b_92 or whatever build is next available.

    pca is patch check advanced and is a PERL script available from Martin
    Paul at http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/...tallation.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast