Curious Sol10u5 observation - Solaris

This is a discussion on Curious Sol10u5 observation - Solaris ; I recently installed Sol10u5 on a Dell Optiplex 755. The video works out of the box - auto configuration by xorg was successful - there is no xorg.conf file. This particular Dell PC has a Radeon video card and scanpci ...

  1. Curious Sol10u5 observation

    I recently installed Sol10u5 on a Dell Optiplex 755. The video works out of
    the box - auto configuration by xorg was successful - there is no xorg.conf
    file.

    This particular Dell PC has a Radeon video card and scanpci confirms this...

    pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x1002 device 0x94c1
    ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 2400 XT

    No other video card is installed.

    However, when I list the loaded modules with modinfo I see...

    163 fffffffff0f91000 6c72f0 34 1 nvidia (nvidia Sep 19 2007 16:12:36)

    No Radeon card driver is loaded. No drivers are forceload'ed in /etc/system.

    Does anybody have a clue what is going on?

    --
    People who need government to enforce their religion must not have much
    faith in the power of its message.

  2. Re: Curious Sol10u5 observation

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 21:08:02 +0000, Geoff Lane wrote:

    > I recently installed Sol10u5 on a Dell Optiplex 755. The video works out of
    > the box - auto configuration by xorg was successful - there is no xorg.conf
    > file.

    No its called something else - I cant remember what but I recall its
    in /etc/X11 or /usr/X11R6 somewhere. I believe its a "dot file" as in
    ..xorgconf or something.

    If it works dont worry abut it : >
    If you want to add something by hand as in a wide screen rez entry
    you can copy the file to /etc/xorg.conf and play with that.
    Its how I got my laptop to do 1280x800 under VMWare once.

    > Does anybody have a clue what is going on?

    dont ask me : >

  3. Re: Curious Sol10u5 observation

    Geoff Lane writes:

    >This particular Dell PC has a Radeon video card and scanpci confirms this...
    >
    >pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x1002 device 0x94c1
    > ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 2400 XT
    >
    >No other video card is installed.
    >
    >However, when I list the loaded modules with modinfo I see...
    >
    >163 fffffffff0f91000 6c72f0 34 1 nvidia (nvidia Sep 19 2007 16:12:36)

    I've seen advertisements for motherboards that mention nVidia chipsets
    that aren't the video card. Could your Dell have something like that?

    -Greg
    --
    ::::::::::::: Greg Andrews ::::: gerg@panix.com :::::::::::::
    I have a map of the United States that's actual size.

  4. Re: Curious Sol10u5 observation

    Greg Andrews wrote:
    > Geoff Lane writes:
    >>
    >>This particular Dell PC has a Radeon video card and scanpci confirms this...
    >>
    >>pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x1002 device 0x94c1
    >> ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 2400 XT
    >>
    >>No other video card is installed.
    >>
    >>However, when I list the loaded modules with modinfo I see...
    >>
    >>163 fffffffff0f91000 6c72f0 34 1 nvidia (nvidia Sep 19 2007 16:12:36)
    >>

    > I've seen advertisements for motherboards that mention nVidia chipsets
    > that aren't the video card. Could your Dell have something like that?

    As it's a Dell box, you never really sure what's in there :-)

    However this box uses the Intel chipset for NIC and support functions.

    The Xorg.0.log shows that the ATI card is recognised and the ati driver has
    been loaded. It surpised me when modinfo showed a nvidia entry but no ati
    entry. It could be that graphics drivers are a special case in Solaris?

    --
    1034 gods I don't believe in: http://anya.sighup.org.uk/gods.html

+ Reply to Thread