changing nightmare screen resolution settings (Solaris 10 x86 - Javadesktop) - Solaris

This is a discussion on changing nightmare screen resolution settings (Solaris 10 x86 - Javadesktop) - Solaris ; Hello there. The problem is when using the Solaris 10 Java desktop. As the subject line says, I have a nasty problem with screen resolution settings. It appears to be stuck on a very low-res setting (lower than 800x600 etc) ...

  1. changing nightmare screen resolution settings (Solaris 10 x86 - Javadesktop)

    Hello there.

    The problem is when using the Solaris 10 Java desktop.

    As the subject line says, I have a nasty problem with screen
    resolution settings.
    It appears to be stuck on a very low-res setting (lower than 800x600
    etc) . Consequently
    the screen continually pulses on and off sufficiently often that there
    is no way I can traverse
    the barely-visible menus to get to the menu option that deals with
    display settings.

    Reboots of the machine have had no effect either. :-(
    So I would like to restore the screen resolution to sensible settings.

    I had a quick look around for possible solutions, and this is what I
    found.

    1. The ffbconfig command.

    There is a man page on the system for this command, but Solaris 10 x86
    does not appear to
    have the actual exe installed (certainly not in the location given in
    the man page) .

    2. KDM config

    I had a look at the config file allegedly used, but all screen res
    info within appeared to
    be reasonable (1024x768) .

    3. Login via CDE is ok

    So the screen res config info must be specific to the Java desktop
    env.

    So the summary is that if ffbconfig would solve the problem, I cannot
    use it.
    And the Java desktop does not appear to be using KDM config files to
    get its screen res
    info.

    If anyone can point me in the right direction (Unix cmds, location of
    the Java desktop
    screen res config files etc) , I would be much obliged.

    Best Regards

  2. Re: changing nightmare screen resolution settings (Solaris 10 x86- Java desktop)

    ggroups@bigfoot.com schrieb:
    > Hello there.
    >
    > The problem is when using the Solaris 10 Java desktop.
    >
    > As the subject line says, I have a nasty problem with screen
    > resolution settings.
    > It appears to be stuck on a very low-res setting (lower than 800x600
    > etc) . Consequently
    > the screen continually pulses on and off sufficiently often that there
    > is no way I can traverse
    > the barely-visible menus to get to the menu option that deals with
    > display settings.
    >
    > Reboots of the machine have had no effect either. :-(
    > So I would like to restore the screen resolution to sensible settings.
    >

    > I had a quick look around for possible solutions, and this is what I
    > found.
    >
    > 1. The ffbconfig command.
    >
    > There is a man page on the system for this command, but Solaris 10 x86
    > does not appear to
    > have the actual exe installed (certainly not in the location given in
    > the man page) .
    >
    > 2. KDM config
    >
    > I had a look at the config file allegedly used, but all screen res
    > info within appeared to
    > be reasonable (1024x768) .
    >

    > 3. Login via CDE is ok
    >
    > So the screen res config info must be specific to the Java desktop
    > env.
    >

    > So the summary is that if ffbconfig would solve the problem, I cannot
    > use it.
    > And the Java desktop does not appear to be using KDM config files to
    > get its screen res
    > info.
    >
    > If anyone can point me in the right direction (Unix cmds, location of
    > the Java desktop
    > screen res config files etc) , I would be much obliged.
    >

    > Best Regards

    on x86 there are two X servers: Xsun and Xorg. kdmconfig is Xsun
    specific, fbconfig is sparc Xsun specific. So if you change settings in
    kdmconfig, it won't effect Xorg. To configure Xorg, run Xorg -configure
    as root and copy the resulting xorg.conf file to /etc/X11 (I'm not 100%
    sure about the location, so double check in the man pages Xorg and
    xorg.conf).
    Edit xorg.conf to your match what you want, and everything should be fine.

    HTH,
    Thomas

  3. Re: changing nightmare screen resolution settings (Solaris 10 x86 - Java desktop)

    In <05638e27-d8bd-4ebd-9a3f-d67317097bc7@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com> ggroups@bigfoot.com writes:

    >As the subject line says, I have a nasty problem with screen
    >resolution settings.
    >It appears to be stuck on a very low-res setting (lower than 800x600
    >etc) . Consequently
    >the screen continually pulses on and off sufficiently often that there
    >is no way I can traverse
    >the barely-visible menus to get to the menu option that deals with
    >display settings.

    Sometimes the problem is that the monitor does not provide EDID
    information to the display driver, so it gives you only the 640x480
    resolution. A quick fix is to try a different monitor.

    --
    -Gary Mills- -Unix Support- -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

  4. Re: changing nightmare screen resolution settings (Solaris 10 x86 -Java desktop)

    On Jun 26, 12:52 pm, Gary Mills wrote:
    > In <05638e27-d8bd-4ebd-9a3f-d67317097...@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com> ggro...@bigfoot.com writes:
    > >As the subject line says, I have a nasty problem with screen
    > >resolution settings.
    > >It appears to be stuck on a very low-res setting (lower than 800x600
    > >etc) . Consequently
    > >the screen continually pulses on and off sufficiently often that there
    > >is no way I can traverse
    > >the barely-visible menus to get to the menu option that deals with
    > >display settings.

    > Sometimes the problem is that the monitor does not provide EDID
    > information to the display driver, so it gives you only the 640x480
    > resolution. A quick fix is to try a different monitor.

    I have managed to recover the situation, but not fully.

    I was able to find/edit an xml file under the "/.gconf" dir structure
    that had
    the offending res values. I changed to 1280x1024 (the supported screen
    res) and rebooted. Unfortunately the system thinks the best resolution
    it
    can support is 1024x768.

    The monitor manual definitely says that 1280x1024 is supported, and
    people have said that the monitor was previously working at that res
    for
    the machine concerned.

    Because of alleged button-pushing on the monitor settings by people, I
    reset the monitor to "factory settings" . To add insult to injury, the
    monitor has
    some adjustment button that when pressed displays :

    "Processing auto image adjustment. For optimal display change
    resolution to 1280x1024"

    If I attempt to change the screen res from the Java Desktop menus, no
    option appears for 1280x1024. It was then suggested to try kdmconfig -
    t,
    to see what the sys thinks of the config. I got the following
    message :

    "kdmconfig has determined that the following devices may be either
    configured incorrectly or not tested with the window system."

    Now I am really out of my depth here. As I said, what a nightmare. :-(

    Regards

  5. Re: changing nightmare screen resolution settings (Solaris 10 x86- Java desktop)

    ggroups@bigfoot.com wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 12:52 pm, Gary Mills wrote:
    >> In <05638e27-d8bd-4ebd-9a3f-d67317097...@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com> ggro...@bigfoot.com writes:
    >>> As the subject line says, I have a nasty problem with screen
    >>> resolution settings.
    >>> It appears to be stuck on a very low-res setting (lower than 800x600
    >>> etc) . Consequently
    >>> the screen continually pulses on and off sufficiently often that there
    >>> is no way I can traverse
    >>> the barely-visible menus to get to the menu option that deals with
    >>> display settings.

    >> Sometimes the problem is that the monitor does not provide EDID
    >> information to the display driver, so it gives you only the 640x480
    >> resolution. A quick fix is to try a different monitor.

    > I have managed to recover the situation, but not fully.
    >
    > I was able to find/edit an xml file under the "/.gconf" dir structure
    > that had
    > the offending res values. I changed to 1280x1024 (the supported screen
    > res) and rebooted. Unfortunately the system thinks the best resolution
    > it
    > can support is 1024x768.
    >
    > The monitor manual definitely says that 1280x1024 is supported, and
    > people have said that the monitor was previously working at that res
    > for
    > the machine concerned.
    >
    > Because of alleged button-pushing on the monitor settings by people, I
    > reset the monitor to "factory settings" . To add insult to injury, the
    > monitor has
    > some adjustment button that when pressed displays :
    >
    > "Processing auto image adjustment. For optimal display change
    > resolution to 1280x1024"
    >
    > If I attempt to change the screen res from the Java Desktop menus, no
    > option appears for 1280x1024. It was then suggested to try kdmconfig -
    > t,
    > to see what the sys thinks of the config. I got the following
    > message :
    >
    > "kdmconfig has determined that the following devices may be either
    > configured incorrectly or not tested with the window system."
    >

    > Now I am really out of my depth here. As I said, what a nightmare. :-(
    >

    > Regards

    Hi,
    I do not use desktop on any Sun OS (Java or otherwise), only console but
    I use Linux desktop running Xorg.
    So advice is coming from Linux world... First thing I can tell you is to
    check your xorg.conf configuration file. Check if it resides in
    /etc/X11/ if not, quick search for xorg.conf should be able to find this
    file.
    When you open xorg.conf go to the section Screen (if you have multiple,
    be sure to use the right one) and check if for the color depth you are
    using you have "Mode" "1280x1024" listed. I expect that you will not
    find it there. Make a backup of xorg.conf and add that resolution
    manually. Restart the gdm or the machine and see if that helped.

  6. Re: changing nightmare screen resolution settings (Solaris 10 x86 - Java desktop)

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 05:26:07 -0700 (PDT), ggroups@bigfoot.com wrote:

    >Unfortunately the system thinks the best resolution
    >it can support is 1024x768.

    Are you sure that the graphic card is supported?

  7. Re: changing nightmare screen resolution settings (Solaris 10 x86- Java desktop)

    ggroups@bigfoot.com wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 12:52 pm, Gary Mills wrote:
    >> In <05638e27-d8bd-4ebd-9a3f-d67317097...@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com> ggro...@bigfoot.com writes:
    >>> As the subject line says, I have a nasty problem with screen
    >>> resolution settings.
    >>> It appears to be stuck on a very low-res setting (lower than 800x600
    >>> etc) . Consequently
    >>> the screen continually pulses on and off sufficiently often that there
    >>> is no way I can traverse
    >>> the barely-visible menus to get to the menu option that deals with
    >>> display settings.

    >> Sometimes the problem is that the monitor does not provide EDID
    >> information to the display driver, so it gives you only the 640x480
    >> resolution. A quick fix is to try a different monitor.

    > I have managed to recover the situation, but not fully.
    >
    > I was able to find/edit an xml file under the "/.gconf" dir structure
    > that had
    > the offending res values. I changed to 1280x1024 (the supported screen
    > res) and rebooted. Unfortunately the system thinks the best resolution
    > it
    > can support is 1024x768.
    >
    > The monitor manual definitely says that 1280x1024 is supported, and
    > people have said that the monitor was previously working at that res
    > for
    > the machine concerned.
    >
    > Because of alleged button-pushing on the monitor settings by people, I
    > reset the monitor to "factory settings" . To add insult to injury, the
    > monitor has
    > some adjustment button that when pressed displays :
    >
    > "Processing auto image adjustment. For optimal display change
    > resolution to 1280x1024"
    >
    > If I attempt to change the screen res from the Java Desktop menus, no
    > option appears for 1280x1024. It was then suggested to try kdmconfig -
    > t,
    > to see what the sys thinks of the config. I got the following
    > message :
    >
    > "kdmconfig has determined that the following devices may be either
    > configured incorrectly or not tested with the window system."
    >

    > Now I am really out of my depth here. As I said, what a nightmare. :-(

    The message from kdmconfig suggests that the graphics controller you
    have is not supported! You might try to find out what graphics
    controller you have and inquire if the manufacturer offers a Solaris
    driver. Some do, some don't.

+ Reply to Thread