[SVOSUG] Summer Thinktank, give your input, 06/26 - Solaris

This is a discussion on [SVOSUG] Summer Thinktank, give your input, 06/26 - Solaris ; SVOSUG members, help us decide what to do with our user group in Silicon Valley. I've been running SVOSUG for 3 years and quite honestly I'm getting bored with the same old format...and we've had great presentations at SVOSUG, I've ...

  1. [SVOSUG] Summer Thinktank, give your input, 06/26

    SVOSUG members, help us decide what to do with our user group in
    Silicon Valley.

    I've been running SVOSUG for 3 years and quite honestly I'm getting
    bored with the same old format...and we've had great presentations at
    SVOSUG, I've been quite happy with the group over the past few years.
    However, I don't believe it scales for the future, and I don't think
    user groups offer the same advantage they used to, with the web, use
    of video, and online-collaboration.

    I don't feel we're able to accomplish too much as a user group, and
    there could be ways to expand and continue to grow the group in the
    future by changing the format.

    A couple ideas that I have had are:

    1) Shorter presentations so that folks could watch the content at
    their leisure, even if they're not local. I think of lightning talks
    in this regard, and could offer folks within the community to get up
    give a short presentation that is 5 minutes, and scale out our
    community, not just SVOSUG. The key here would be using the meeting to
    create content, as we've been doing, but to make the content more
    usable. I haven't figured out how to leverage it better.

    2) Technical Architect Groups (TAGs) where a small group of folks with
    common intersts can get together and work on something together. This
    could possibly happen the same day as the meeting, and allow people to
    get together and discuss something that they could go off and work on
    over the next month.

    3) More community participation from non-Sun folks. How can we get
    folks to talk about things they're doing. As an example, have you
    built a nice system that is low power, or small form factor? Have you
    been tunneling through VMs on your network to allow users to access
    inside a Virtual Box VM? How about ekiga, do you use it on
    OpenSolaris?

    4) Possibly going around the room and just having people mention
    briefly what they're working on, what they doing, and if people are
    interested in such, they could talk after the meeting or in email/
    opensolaris.org.

    5) ? (give a suggestion to something you think would work)

    I will open my call-in number which is toll-free so that if anyone
    would like to voice an idea that is not local and/or how we can help
    you, please do.

    Toll Free: 866-545-5227
    Intnl/pay: 865-673-6950
    Conference: 809-64-14

    Please feel free to join us, for a drink, a snack, some good open
    source talk, and a chance to talk to some of the OpenSolaris
    engineers. Feel free to bring your own bottle, a snack, or something
    to share if inclined, no entry required so feel free to join us
    without concern of bringing something.

    When: Thursday, June 26, 2008
    Where: Sun's Santa Clara Campus Auditorium (SCA07, the Mansion)
    What: Summer Thinktank
    Time: 7:30pm-10:00pm

    Google Maps:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...e,+Santa+Clara,

    SVOSUG Project Page, for video:
    http://opensolaris.org/os/project/svosug/

    If you haven't been to the Mansion before, as you enter the Sun campus
    on Palm, from Lafayette, the Mansion is the first building on the
    left, as I recall. There is parking all around, a small lot in the
    rear, parking on Palm, and a huge lot on the other side of the
    Auditorium.

  2. Re: Summer Thinktank, give your input, 06/26

    **** REMINDER **** REMINDER **** REMINDER **** REMINDER ****

    Tonight!

    Hope to see you there!

+ Reply to Thread