    Installed the latest OpenSolaris.All well until I turned the system off.
    when I returned next day it gives me "no randomness provider enabled for
    dev/random. use cryptoadm (1M)
    to enable a provider. I then get console login Sun Microsys Sun 05.5.11
    snv_86
    bash-3.2 $. Am I doing something wrong ?
    Pnin.

  2. Re: OpenSolaris problem.

    On 2008-06-22 08:24:35 +0100, pnin said:

    > Installed the latest OpenSolaris.All well until I turned the system off.
    > when I returned next day it gives me "no randomness provider enabled
    > for dev/random. use cryptoadm (1M)
    > to enable a provider. I then get console login Sun Microsys Sun 05.5.11 snv_86
    > bash-3.2 $. Am I doing something wrong ?

    No, but IIRC the bug was fixed in snv_90. So you should update to snv_90 or 91.

    Release announcements are made to the opensolaris announce list, eg:

    Note there's a typo in the para:

    ---
    You may wish to update SUNWipkg before updating your image to Build 91.
    (You can update to pkg:/SUNWipkg@0.5.11,5.11-0.90 if you are already
    running Build 90.)
    ---

    It should say pkg:/SUNWipkg@0.5.11,5.11-0.91.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  3. Re: OpenSolaris problem.

    Chris Ridd wrote:
    > On 2008-06-22 08:24:35 +0100, pnin said:
    >
    >> Installed the latest OpenSolaris.All well until I turned the system off.
    >> when I returned next day it gives me "no randomness provider enabled
    >> for dev/random. use cryptoadm (1M)
    >> to enable a provider. I then get console login Sun Microsys Sun
    >> 05.5.11 snv_86
    >> bash-3.2 $. Am I doing something wrong ?

    > No, but IIRC the bug was fixed in snv_90. So you should update to snv_90
    > or 91.
    >
    > Release announcements are made to the opensolaris announce list, eg:
    >

    > Note there's a typo in the para:
    >
    > ---
    > You may wish to update SUNWipkg before updating your image to Build 91.
    > (You can update to pkg:/SUNWipkg@0.5.11,5.11-0.90 if you are already
    > running Build 90.)
    > ---
    >
    > It should say pkg:/SUNWipkg@0.5.11,5.11-0.91.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Chris

    thanks, I'll give it a try.
    Pnin.

  4. Re: OpenSolaris problem.

    quoting Chris Ridd (Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:39:47 +0100):
    > No, but IIRC the bug was fixed in snv_90. So you should update to
    > snv_90 or 91.

    I wonder if upgrading OpenSolaris-2008.05 to the b91 image version will
    give you the same errors as those being part of the SXCE-b91?
    Or will the packages/errors differ?

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u5 05/08 ++

  5. Re: OpenSolaris problem.

    On 2008-06-22 13:05:24 +0100, Dick Hoogendijk said:

    > quoting Chris Ridd (Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:39:47 +0100):
    >> No, but IIRC the bug was fixed in snv_90. So you should update to
    >> snv_90 or 91.

    > I wonder if upgrading OpenSolaris-2008.05 to the b91 image version will
    > give you the same errors as those being part of the SXCE-b91?
    > Or will the packages/errors differ?

    Good point - is OpenSolaris snv_xx the same as Solaris Express snv_xx?
    Aside from being delivered using IPS instead of SVR4 packages, of
    course.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  6. Re: OpenSolaris problem.

    quoting Chris Ridd (Sun, 22 Jun 2008 13:39:15 +0100):
    > On 2008-06-22 13:05:24 +0100, Dick Hoogendijk said:
    >> I wonder if upgrading OpenSolaris-2008.05 to the b91 image version
    >> will give you the same errors as those being part of the SXCE-b91?

    > Good point - is OpenSolaris snv_xx the same as Solaris Express snv_xx?
    > Aside from being delivered using IPS instead of SVR4 packages, of
    > course.

    Too bad. For me that is. OpenSolaris has no sound issues on my box.
    Snv90/snv91 reboot / crash dump on accessing any sound file. Be it a mp3
    song, a youtube movie or just a website using some kind of bleeps;-)
    So I guess, installing OpenSolaris for the time being is no option.
    I'll have to wait 'till this bug is fixed in snvxx.
    The bug is reported at bugs.opensolaris.com.

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u5 05/08 ++

  7. Re: OpenSolaris problem.

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:12:11 +0200, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

    > Too bad. For me that is. OpenSolaris has no sound issues on my box.
    > Snv90/snv91 reboot / crash dump on accessing any sound file. Be it a mp3
    > song, a youtube movie or just a website using some kind of bleeps;-)

    No such problem here. Neither Solaris, Nevada nor Indiana have support
    for the sound system on my system boards, all with nVidia chipsets. But
    installation of the drivers from opensound.com provides very good sound
    with no other issues.

  8. Re: OpenSolaris problem.

    quoting Dave Uhring (Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:52:38 -0500):
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:12:11 +0200, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    >
    >> Too bad. For me that is. OpenSolaris has no sound issues on my box.
    >> Snv90/snv91 reboot / crash dump on accessing any sound file. Be it a
    >> mp3 song, a youtube movie or just a website using some kind of
    >> bleeps;-)

    > No such problem here. Neither Solaris, Nevada nor Indiana have
    > support for the sound system on my system boards, all with nVidia
    > chipsets. But installation of the drivers from opensound.com provides
    > very good sound with no other issues.

    The 4Front OSS drivers made my system unbootable. That was on snv90, so
    I guess I have to try it again

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u5 05/08 ++

  9. Re: OpenSolaris problem.

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 21:37:11 +0200, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    > quoting Dave Uhring (Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:52:38 -0500):

    >> No such problem here. Neither Solaris, Nevada nor Indiana have
    >> support for the sound system on my system boards, all with nVidia
    >> chipsets. But installation of the drivers from opensound.com provides
    >> very good sound with no other issues.

    > The 4Front OSS drivers made my system unbootable. That was on snv90, so
    > I guess I have to try it again

    Hmmm, I've been using them since b_76 or earlier - I don't remember when I
    started using Solaris Express.

    duhring@maxwell:~$ pkginfo | grep driver | grep oss
    driver oss Open Sound System

    This is OpenSolaris b_91, playing Handel's Water Music using xmms right
    now

  10. Re: OpenSolaris problem.

    Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

    > The 4Front OSS drivers made my system unbootable. That was on snv90, so
    > I guess I have to try it again

    They did that to my Solaris 10 laptop also. Not too sure I want to try
    again :-(

  11. Re: OpenSolaris problem.

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 15:03:58 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 21:37:11 +0200, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    >> quoting Dave Uhring (Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:52:38 -0500):
    >>> No such problem here. Neither Solaris, Nevada nor Indiana have
    >>> support for the sound system on my system boards, all with nVidia
    >>> chipsets. But installation of the drivers from opensound.com provides
    >>> very good sound with no other issues.

    >> The 4Front OSS drivers made my system unbootable. That was on snv90, so
    >> I guess I have to try it again

    > Hmmm, I've been using them since b_76 or earlier - I don't remember when I
    > started using Solaris Express.
    > duhring@maxwell:~$ pkginfo | grep driver | grep oss
    > driver oss Open Sound System
    > This is OpenSolaris b_91, playing Handel's Water Music using xmms right
    > now

    I installed them on a very ornery AMD laptop of mine running b83
    last week. Works a treat. Methinks the wrong drivers were installed.

  12. Re: OpenSolaris problem.

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 21:37:11 +0200, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    >> quoting Dave Uhring (Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:52:38 -0500):

    >>> No such problem here. Neither Solaris, Nevada nor Indiana have
    >>> support for the sound system on my system boards, all with nVidia
    >>> chipsets. But installation of the drivers from opensound.com provides
    >>> very good sound with no other issues.

    >> The 4Front OSS drivers made my system unbootable. That was on snv90, so
    >> I guess I have to try it again

    > Hmmm, I've been using them since b_76 or earlier - I don't remember when I
    > started using Solaris Express.
    >
    > duhring@maxwell:~$ pkginfo | grep driver | grep oss
    > driver oss Open Sound System
    >
    > This is OpenSolaris b_91, playing Handel's Water Music using xmms right
    > now

    Iiirk...

    Me playing Sex Pistols "God save the Queen" with Songbird 0.6 on b76.
    That's music! ;-) And Songbird is quite cool. Get it from here:

    http://releases.mozilla.com/sun/Song...es/0.6/pkgadd/

  13. Re: OpenSolaris problem.

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 06:54:08 +0000, Thommy M. wrote:

    > Iiirk...

    :-)

    > Me playing Sex Pistols "God save the Queen" with Songbird 0.6 on b76.
    > That's music! ;-) And Songbird is quite cool. Get it from here:

    ¡¡¡Iiirk!!!

    > http://releases.mozilla.com/sun/Song...es/0.6/pkgadd/

    Got it; thanks.

+ Reply to Thread