connect to net ? - Solaris

This is a discussion on connect to net ? - Solaris ; finally got S installed. it recognises and loads the driver for the network card but I'm unable to access the "net" Is there something obvious I should have done ? Poncie....

  1. connect to net ?

    finally got S installed. it recognises and loads the driver for the
    network card
    but I'm unable to access the "net" Is there something obvious I should
    have done ?
    Poncie.

  2. Re: connect to net ?

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:25:57 +1000, poncie ponce wrote:

    > finally got S installed. it recognises and loads the driver for the
    > network card
    > but I'm unable to access the "net" Is there something obvious I should
    > have done ?

    How are we supposed to know what you didnt do??

  3. Re: connect to net ?

    AGT wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:25:57 +1000, poncie ponce wrote:
    >
    >> finally got S installed. it recognises and loads the driver for the
    >> network card
    >> but I'm unable to access the "net" Is there something obvious I should
    >> have done ?

    > How are we supposed to know what you didnt do??

    Good point. a salesgirl once asked me "is there anything else you
    dont know" ?
    I dont think she liked my reply .
    Seriously though, I've installed Linux and BSD B4 and just clicked on
    the browser icon and
    mostly been connected straight away. I'll do a bit of googleing later
    this AM.
    Poncie

  4. Re: connect to net ?

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:25:57 +1000, poncie ponce wrote:

    > finally got S installed. it recognises and loads the driver for the
    > network card
    > but I'm unable to access the "net" Is there something obvious I should
    > have done ?

    Try setting up your configuration again, paying careful attention to what
    is being asked.

    sys-unconfig

  5. Re: connect to net ?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:25:57 +1000, poncie ponce wrote:
    >
    >> finally got S installed. it recognises and loads the driver for the
    >> network card
    >> but I'm unable to access the "net" Is there something obvious I should
    >> have done ?

    > Try setting up your configuration again, paying careful attention to what
    > is being asked.
    >
    > sys-unconfig

    thanks, but i cant recall being asked much at all. certainly nothing about
    the network, I'll try again.
    PP

  6. Re: connect to net ?

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:52:41 +1000, munchausen wrote:

    > AGT wrote:
    >> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:25:57 +1000, a ponce wrote:
    >>> finally got S installed. it recognises and loads the driver for the
    >>> network card
    >>> but I'm unable to access the "net" Is there something obvious I should
    >>> have done ?

    >> How are we supposed to know what you didnt do??

    > Good point. a salesgirl once asked me "is there anything else you
    > dont know" ?

    So what. Are we supposed to know what "S" is??

    > Seriously though, I've installed Linux and BSD B4 and just clicked on
    > the browser icon and
    > mostly been connected straight away.

    I cannot take a sentence like that seriously : <

    > I'll do a bit of googleing later this AM.

    Try what Dave U suggested.

  7. Re: connect to net ?

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:27:00 +1000, poncie ponce wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> Try setting up your configuration again, paying careful attention to what
    >> is being asked.
    >>
    >> sys-unconfig
    >>

    > thanks, but i cant recall being asked much at all. certainly nothing about
    > the network, I'll try again.

    If you were not asked about network configuration your NIC does not have a
    driver. Install a supported NIC.

  8. Re: connect to net ?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:27:00 +1000, poncie ponce wrote:
    >> Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> Try setting up your configuration again, paying careful attention to what
    >>> is being asked.
    >>>
    >>> sys-unconfig
    >>>

    >> thanks, but i cant recall being asked much at all. certainly nothing about
    >> the network, I'll try again.

    > If you were not asked about network configuration your NIC does not have a
    > driver. Install a supported NIC.

    well I ran that device driver thingy and it told me that a driver was
    loaded :-(
    PP.

  9. Re: connect to net ?

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:41:27 +1000, poncie ponce wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> If you were not asked about network configuration your NIC does not have a
    >> driver. Install a supported NIC.

    > well I ran that device driver thingy and it told me that a driver was
    > loaded :-(

    Are you trying to use Solaris (real) or OpenSolaris?

  10. Re: connect to net ?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:41:27 +1000, poncie ponce wrote:
    >> Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> If you were not asked about network configuration your NIC does not have a
    >>> driver. Install a supported NIC.

    >> well I ran that device driver thingy and it told me that a driver was
    >> loaded :-(

    > Are you trying to use Solaris (real) or OpenSolaris?

    Hello, its me in another form. I put a spare netwurk card in and got
    everything up N running. BTW, I was running OpenSolaris :-)
    Poncie

  11. Re: connect to net ?

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:13:41 +1000, iggle piggle wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> Are you trying to use Solaris (real) or OpenSolaris?
    >>

    > Hello, its me in another form. I put a spare netwurk card in and got
    > everything up N running. BTW, I was running OpenSolaris :-)

    There is a lot of similarity between the two but there are also critical
    differences. If you have more questions be sure to state which version
    you are using.

  12. Re: connect to net ?

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:13:41 +1000, iggle piggle wrote:
    >> Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> Are you trying to use Solaris (real) or OpenSolaris?
    >>>

    >> Hello, its me in another form. I put a spare netwurk card in and got
    >> everything up N running. BTW, I was running OpenSolaris :-)

    > There is a lot of similarity between the two but there are also critical
    > differences. If you have more questions be sure to state which version
    > you are using.

    Thanks, I will :-)

    Poncie

+ Reply to Thread