grub and latest ext3fs - Solaris

This is a discussion on grub and latest ext3fs - Solaris ; Hi Over the weekend, I installed Fedora 9. It was a bit of a painful experience, mainly because the penguinites have gone and changed ext3fs and broken backwards compatibility. The inode size, it seems, has changed from 128bytes to 256bytes. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: grub and latest ext3fs

  1. grub and latest ext3fs

    Hi

    Over the weekend, I installed Fedora 9. It was a bit of a painful
    experience, mainly because the penguinites have gone and changed ext3fs
    and broken backwards compatibility. The inode size, it seems, has
    changed from 128bytes to 256bytes. As a consequence, the GRUB 0.95 that
    I have that was installed at one time with Solaris can no longer boot a
    default install of Fedora 9. I worked around this problem by formatting
    the ext3fs partition with a gparted live CD (though this will not work
    with th Fedora live CD, which always formats the destination partition).
    Fedora 9 uses GRUB 0.97.

    Does anyone know if either such a Linux distro GRUB supports Solaris UFS
    now, or if Solaris GRUB is going to support this version of ext3fs?

    A bientot
    Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr

  2. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:36:58 +0000, Paul Floyd wrote:

    > Does anyone know if either such a Linux distro GRUB supports Solaris UFS
    > now, or if Solaris GRUB is going to support this version of ext3fs?


    I have Debian Lenny Linux installed on my multiboot machines and easily
    boot Nevada and OpenSolaris using lilo.


  3. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    quoting Dave Uhring (Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:43:11 -0500):
    > I have Debian Lenny Linux installed on my multiboot machines and
    > easily boot Nevada and OpenSolaris using lilo.


    Lilo? Does it still exist?

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u5 05/08 ++

  4. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:43:11 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:36:58 +0000, Paul Floyd wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know if either such a Linux distro GRUB supports Solaris UFS
    >> now, or if Solaris GRUB is going to support this version of ext3fs?

    >
    > I have Debian Lenny Linux installed on my multiboot machines and easily
    > boot Nevada and OpenSolaris using lilo.


    I guess you are chain booting.

    When I asked whether any Linux GRUB supports UFS, I meant for direct
    boting.

    A bientot
    Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr

  5. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 22:50:44 +0200, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

    > quoting Dave Uhring (Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:43:11 -0500):
    >> I have Debian Lenny Linux installed on my multiboot machines and
    >> easily boot Nevada and OpenSolaris using lilo.

    >
    > Lilo? Does it still exist?


    It's the default in Slackware, available as an option in Debian.


  6. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:56:01 +0000, Paul Floyd wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:43:11 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:


    >> I have Debian Lenny Linux installed on my multiboot machines and easily
    >> boot Nevada and OpenSolaris using lilo.

    >
    > I guess you are chain booting.
    >
    > When I asked whether any Linux GRUB supports UFS, I meant for direct
    > boting.


    If invoking the code in the first sector of the OS is not "direct" booting
    then what is?

    I'm not really sure what FS is used in the first sector of
    /dev/rdsk/c5d0s2 in this OpenSolaris system, but lilo checks for a boot
    sector signature at bytes 510 and 511 when it installs, then jumps to byte
    0 of the boot sector when OpenSolaris or any other OS -except possibly
    OS/2- is selected at the lilo prompt. I think OS/2 does have to be chain
    booted.

    I have been booting Solaris UFS and, now ZFS, since December 1999 using
    lilo without ever having any kind of problem with it.

    I don't think that lilo cares one way or the other about what kind of FS
    is being used as long as the boot sector can be read from the media.


  7. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:29:08 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    > If invoking the code in the first sector of the OS is not "direct" booting
    > then what is?


    Direct booting uses the kernel and initrd or module GRUB statements. Chain
    booting uses the chainloader statement.

    > I'm not really sure what FS is used in the first sector of
    > /dev/rdsk/c5d0s2 in this OpenSolaris system, but lilo checks for a boot
    > sector signature at bytes 510 and 511 when it installs, then jumps to byte
    > 0 of the boot sector when OpenSolaris or any other OS -except possibly
    > OS/2- is selected at the lilo prompt. I think OS/2 does have to be chain
    > booted.


    There is no FS in the first sector of a partition. Just the PBR
    (partition boot record). OS/2, DOS and Windows can only boot via the
    PBR.

    However, if you are chain booting, then you lose some of the flexibility
    of GRUB. You have to maintain N grub config files, and it is more
    difficult to change the boot arguments when not all the OSes have
    filesystem support. For instance, if I'm booted into OpenSolaris, then I
    only have readonly access to Fedora 9, so I can't edit and change
    /mnt/fedora/boot/grub/menu.1st. I'd have to boot Fedora, edit menu.1st
    and reboot again for the changes to take effect.

    The other fairly big thing is that chain booting from a logical
    partition is ropey. I usually find that it doesn't work.

    A bientot
    Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr

  8. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:11:31 +0000, Paul Floyd wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:29:08 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >>
    >> If invoking the code in the first sector of the OS is not "direct" booting
    >> then what is?

    >
    > Direct booting uses the kernel and initrd or module GRUB statements. Chain
    > booting uses the chainloader statement.


    Then lilo does direct booting.

    > There is no FS in the first sector of a partition. Just the PBR
    > (partition boot record). OS/2, DOS and Windows can only boot via the
    > PBR.


    Precisely, which is the cause of my confusion in your Subject: and OP.

    > However, if you are chain booting, then you lose some of the flexibility
    > of GRUB. You have to maintain N grub config files, and it is more
    > difficult to change the boot arguments when not all the OSes have
    > filesystem support. For instance, if I'm booted into OpenSolaris, then I
    > only have readonly access to Fedora 9, so I can't edit and change
    > /mnt/fedora/boot/grub/menu.1st. I'd have to boot Fedora, edit menu.1st
    > and reboot again for the changes to take effect.


    Heh! I don't even attempt to access my Linux partitions from either
    OpenSolaris or Solaris Express. It would be somewhat difficult anyway
    since on this machine Debian is located entirely within logical partitions.
    If I need to have access to some file or other from both OSs I just put
    the file onto the NFS server, a Nevada b_87 machine.

    > The other fairly big thing is that chain booting from a logical
    > partition is ropey. I usually find that it doesn't work.


    Then install lilo and be happy

    For a Linux /etc/lilo.conf just add the following below the lines required
    for booting Linux:

    other=/dev/sda1
    label=Solaris Express

    other=/dev/sda2
    label=OpenSolaris

    If you have never configured lilo and would like a complete lilo.conf
    email me.

    Even better, just run Linux and/or billyware in a vbox. The
    other display on my desktop is Nevada b_90 with Debian Lenny running in a
    1568x954 xVM VirtualBox.


  9. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:12:46 -0500, Dave Uhring
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:11:31 +0000, Paul Floyd wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:29:08 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >>>
    >>> If invoking the code in the first sector of the OS is not "direct" booting
    >>> then what is?

    >>
    >> Direct booting uses the kernel and initrd or module GRUB statements. Chain
    >> booting uses the chainloader statement.

    >
    >Then lilo does direct booting.


    Maybe, but see below.

    >> There is no FS in the first sector of a partition. Just the PBR
    >> (partition boot record). OS/2, DOS and Windows can only boot via the
    >> PBR.

    >
    >Precisely, which is the cause of my confusion in your Subject: and OP.
    >
    >> However, if you are chain booting, then you lose some of the flexibility
    >> of GRUB. You have to maintain N grub config files, and it is more
    >> difficult to change the boot arguments when not all the OSes have
    >> filesystem support. For instance, if I'm booted into OpenSolaris, then I
    >> only have readonly access to Fedora 9, so I can't edit and change
    >> /mnt/fedora/boot/grub/menu.1st. I'd have to boot Fedora, edit menu.1st
    >> and reboot again for the changes to take effect.

    >
    >Heh! I don't even attempt to access my Linux partitions from either
    >OpenSolaris or Solaris Express. It would be somewhat difficult anyway
    >since on this machine Debian is located entirely within logical partitions.
    >If I need to have access to some file or other from both OSs I just put
    >the file onto the NFS server, a Nevada b_87 machine.
    >
    >> The other fairly big thing is that chain booting from a logical
    >> partition is ropey. I usually find that it doesn't work.

    >
    >Then install lilo and be happy
    >
    >For a Linux /etc/lilo.conf just add the following below the lines required
    >for booting Linux:
    >
    >other=/dev/sda1
    > label=Solaris Express
    >
    >other=/dev/sda2
    > label=OpenSolaris
    >
    >If you have never configured lilo and would like a complete lilo.conf
    >email me.


    Hmmm,

    I haven't looked at LILO forever, but this looks like a chainload job
    to me. I don't see any mention of kernel or initrd here.

    IIRC, Solaris installs put their boot code in the boot sector of their
    install partition. What you are doing above is invoking the boot code
    (grub typically) that's in the boot sector of sda1 or sda2, not direct
    booting a Solaris kernel. Or not, like I said, it's been forever

    When you use one of the Solaris LILO options, do you then see grub or
    old-style Solaris loader, or does the Solaris kernel run immediately?

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com
    "Even bugs...are unexpected signposts on
    the long road of creativity..." - Ken Burtch

  10. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:48:30 -0700, Bill Waddington wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:12:46 -0500, Dave Uhring
    > wrote:


    >>For a Linux /etc/lilo.conf just add the following below the lines required
    >>for booting Linux:
    >>
    >>other=/dev/sda1
    >> label=Solaris Express
    >>
    >>other=/dev/sda2
    >> label=OpenSolaris


    > I haven't looked at LILO forever, but this looks like a chainload job
    > to me. I don't see any mention of kernel or initrd here.


    Because I did not include the lines for booting the Linux kernel, as I
    clearly indicated - or so I thought.

    The full lilo.conf

    lba32
    boot=/dev/sda # Places LILO on the first sector of the HDD
    root=/dev/sda5 # Location of Linux /
    map=/boot/map
    prompt
    timeout=1200
    vga=normal
    append="noapic" # Current Linux kernels puke if not appended
    # when using nVidia chipset AMD64 system boards
    image=/vmlinuz
    label=Linux
    read-only
    initrd=/initrd.img

    other=/dev/sda1
    label=Nevada

    other=/dev/sda2
    label=OpenSolaris

    /vmlinuz is a symlink to the actual kernel in /boot; /initrd.img is also
    a symlink. This simplifies updating lilo when the kernel is updated.

    > IIRC, Solaris installs put their boot code in the boot sector of their
    > install partition. What you are doing above is invoking the boot code
    > (grub typically) that's in the boot sector of sda1 or sda2, not direct
    > booting a Solaris kernel. Or not, like I said, it's been forever


    Correct. Lilo invokes the grub code in the first sector of the Solaris
    partition.

    > When you use one of the Solaris LILO options, do you then see grub or
    > old-style Solaris loader, or does the Solaris kernel run immediately?


    The grub prompt appears just as it normally does.


  11. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:12:53 -0500, Dave Uhring
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:48:30 -0700, Bill Waddington wrote:
    >> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:12:46 -0500, Dave Uhring
    >> wrote:

    >
    >>>For a Linux /etc/lilo.conf just add the following below the lines required
    >>>for booting Linux:
    >>>
    >>>other=/dev/sda1
    >>> label=Solaris Express
    >>>
    >>>other=/dev/sda2
    >>> label=OpenSolaris

    >
    >> I haven't looked at LILO forever, but this looks like a chainload job
    >> to me. I don't see any mention of kernel or initrd here.

    >
    >Because I did not include the lines for booting the Linux kernel, as I
    >clearly indicated - or so I thought.
    >
    >The full lilo.conf
    >
    >lba32
    >boot=/dev/sda # Places LILO on the first sector of the HDD
    >root=/dev/sda5 # Location of Linux /
    >map=/boot/map
    >prompt
    >timeout=1200
    >vga=normal
    >append="noapic" # Current Linux kernels puke if not appended
    > # when using nVidia chipset AMD64 system boards
    >image=/vmlinuz
    > label=Linux
    > read-only
    > initrd=/initrd.img
    >
    >other=/dev/sda1
    > label=Nevada
    >
    >other=/dev/sda2
    > label=OpenSolaris
    >
    >/vmlinuz is a symlink to the actual kernel in /boot; /initrd.img is also
    >a symlink. This simplifies updating lilo when the kernel is updated.
    >
    >> IIRC, Solaris installs put their boot code in the boot sector of their
    >> install partition. What you are doing above is invoking the boot code
    >> (grub typically) that's in the boot sector of sda1 or sda2, not direct
    >> booting a Solaris kernel. Or not, like I said, it's been forever

    >
    >Correct. Lilo invokes the grub code in the first sector of the Solaris
    >partition.
    >
    >> When you use one of the Solaris LILO options, do you then see grub or
    >> old-style Solaris loader, or does the Solaris kernel run immediately?

    >
    >The grub prompt appears just as it normally does.


    My bad, I guess. I _thought_ we were talking about whether LILO could
    direct boot a Solaris kernel.

    Sorry about the noise,
    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com
    "Even bugs...are unexpected signposts on
    the long road of creativity..." - Ken Burtch

  12. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    [snip]

    > Then install lilo and be happy
    >

    [snip]
    >
    > Even better, just run Linux and/or billyware in a vbox. The
    > other display on my desktop is Nevada b_90 with Debian Lenny running in a
    > 1568x954 xVM VirtualBox.
    >


    Dave,

    Can you point me to a link that describes what you're doing. If not,
    how about a brief HOW-TO describing your setup? I'm finding grub to be
    a bit of a pain, but haven't used LILO in several years. I'm just
    interested in several flavors of Solaris w/ an odd Linux distro or two
    both w/ & w/o xVM.

    Thanks,
    Reg

  13. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:46:17 -0500, Reginald Beardsley wrote:

    > Can you point me to a link that describes what you're doing. If not,
    > how about a brief HOW-TO describing your setup? I'm finding grub to be
    > a bit of a pain, but haven't used LILO in several years. I'm just
    > interested in several flavors of Solaris w/ an odd Linux distro or two
    > both w/ & w/o xVM.


    Assuming you mean the real OSs installed rather than those in vbox.

    I just posted a complete lilo.conf for the machine that I'm using at the
    moment.

    The HDD is 160 GB (really 149 GB) SATA2, partitioned

    1 - Solaris Nevada - 60 GB
    2 - OpenSolaris - 25 GB
    3 - Unused - 25 GB
    4 - Extended - 39 GB
    5 - Linux /
    6 - Linux swap
    ...........

    Solaris GRUB cannot access the logical partitions; hence I need to use a
    multiboot loader with that capability if I expect to be able to boot Linux
    at some time or other.

    I have more experience using lilo than GRUB; in fact I have never used
    GRUB in a Linux install. Lilo just handles the job of booting whatever I
    put onto the HDD, provided that the other OS has its own boot code where
    it belongs.

    As for VirtualBox, the VirtualBox.pdf is well written and easily followed.

    Multibooting a few varieties of Linux is also easily done. You just need
    to put the kernels and initrd.imgs in the /boot directory of the OS from
    which you execute /sbin/lilo and refer to them in your lilo.conf.


  14. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 20:07:18 -0500, Dave Uhring
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:46:17 -0500, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
    >
    >> Can you point me to a link that describes what you're doing. If not,
    >> how about a brief HOW-TO describing your setup? I'm finding grub to be
    >> a bit of a pain, but haven't used LILO in several years. I'm just
    >> interested in several flavors of Solaris w/ an odd Linux distro or two
    >> both w/ & w/o xVM.

    >
    >Assuming you mean the real OSs installed rather than those in vbox.
    >
    >I just posted a complete lilo.conf for the machine that I'm using at the
    >moment.
    >
    >The HDD is 160 GB (really 149 GB) SATA2, partitioned
    >
    >1 - Solaris Nevada - 60 GB
    >2 - OpenSolaris - 25 GB
    >3 - Unused - 25 GB
    >4 - Extended - 39 GB
    >5 - Linux /
    >6 - Linux swap
    >..........
    >
    >Solaris GRUB cannot access the logical partitions; hence I need to use a
    >multiboot loader with that capability if I expect to be able to boot Linux
    >at some time or other.


    Perhaps I misunderstand (again) but I just tested direct booting and
    chainloading and from Solaris grub to a Linux installation in a
    logical partition and both seem to work fine.

    It's an old Sol (SNV_48) and Fedora Core 5 on a W1100Z. Here's a
    snip of menu.lst. Sorry to pick nits, and please sort me if I've
    missed the point again.



    #pragma ident "@(#)menu.lst 1.1 05/04/15 SMI"
    #
    # default menu entry to boot
    default 0

    splashimage /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

    #
    #---------- ADDED BY BOOTADM - DO NOT EDIT ----------
    title Solaris Nevada snv_48 X86
    kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
    module /platform/i86pc/boot_archive
    #---------------------END BOOTADM--------------------
    #---------- ADDED BY BOOTADM - DO NOT EDIT ----------
    title Solaris failsafe
    kernel /boot/multiboot kernel/unix -s
    module /boot/x86.miniroot-safe
    #---------------------END BOOTADM--------------------

    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1

    title Fedora Core direct (logical partition)
    root (hd1,11)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/123456
    rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5.img

    title Fedora Core chainloaded
    rootnoverify (hd1,11)
    chainloader +1


    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com
    "Even bugs...are unexpected signposts on
    the long road of creativity..." - Ken Burtch

  15. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 08:04:15 -0700, Bill Waddington wrote:

    > Perhaps I misunderstand (again) but I just tested direct booting and
    > chainloading and from Solaris grub to a Linux installation in a
    > logical partition and both seem to work fine.
    >
    > It's an old Sol (SNV_48) and Fedora Core 5 on a W1100Z. Here's a
    > snip of menu.lst. Sorry to pick nits, and please sort me if I've
    > missed the point again.


    You have shown that Solaris grub can load Linux from a logical partition.
    As I clearly stated, I am mostly ignorant of grub and intend to remain
    that way.

    Lilo works and I attempted to show you how since I thought that you had
    asked.


  16. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:12:46 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > Heh! I don't even attempt to access my Linux partitions from either
    > OpenSolaris or Solaris Express. It would be somewhat difficult anyway
    > since on this machine Debian is located entirely within logical partitions.
    > If I need to have access to some file or other from both OSs I just put
    > the file onto the NFS server, a Nevada b_87 machine.


    There is no problem accessing (ro) ext2/3fs logical partitions from
    Solaris.

    >
    > For a Linux /etc/lilo.conf just add the following below the lines required
    > for booting Linux:
    >
    > other=/dev/sda1
    > label=Solaris Express
    >
    > other=/dev/sda2
    > label=OpenSolaris
    >
    > If you have never configured lilo and would like a complete lilo.conf
    > email me.


    Err, no, I'm interested in direct booting with GRUB, not chain booting
    with lilo.

    A bientot
    Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr

  17. Re: grub and latest ext3fs

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:38:26 +0000, Paul Floyd wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:12:46 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    >> Heh! I don't even attempt to access my Linux partitions from either
    >> OpenSolaris or Solaris Express. It would be somewhat difficult anyway
    >> since on this machine Debian is located entirely within logical partitions.
    >> If I need to have access to some file or other from both OSs I just put
    >> the file onto the NFS server, a Nevada b_87 machine.

    >
    > There is no problem accessing (ro) ext2/3fs logical partitions from
    > Solaris.


    Still no help for me. I not only install Linux to logical partitions but
    also use SGI's XFS.


+ Reply to Thread