pulled the trigger - Solaris

This is a discussion on pulled the trigger - Solaris ; My dream of becoming an ex-windows user has come closer to fruition tonight. I needed to procure an OpenSolaris install. The burnt disc has done its thing, and I appear to have a dual-boot installation. 3 questions: 1) How do ...

  1. pulled the trigger

    My dream of becoming an ex-windows user has come closer to fruition
    tonight. I needed to procure an OpenSolaris install. The burnt disc has
    done its thing, and I appear to have a dual-boot installation. 3
    questions:

    1) How do I make a screen capture in OS?

    2) I click the firefox icon and see that I don't have internet
    connectivity. How do I get OS to talk to a standard motoroloa modem, the
    most popular of its species?

    3) My disc burner is on the fritz. How do I transfer data from one to the
    other? I notice that OS found my i-pod without coaching. Maybe a memory
    stick?

    Beautiful night here in the SW. I bought a helmet today for my personal
    energy redistribution sheme: bicycling. I've never felt as gay riding my
    bicycle, even when I had to ride my sister's when I was circa eleven.
    People can think what they want, and I ride at night.
    --
    A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers.
    H. L. Mencken

  2. Re: pulled the trigger

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:43:13 -0500, Ron Ford wrote:

    > 1) How do I make a screen capture in OS?

    Applications -> Graphics -> Save Screenshot

    http://www.sunhelp.org/unix-serial-port-resources/

    > 3) My disc burner is on the fritz. How do I transfer data from one to the
    > other? I notice that OS found my i-pod without coaching. Maybe a memory
    > stick?

    From one -what- to the other -what-?

    If you have a FAT32 partition Solaris can mount and read it and write to
    it.

  3. Re: pulled the trigger

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:43:13 -0500, Ron Ford wrote:
    >
    >> 1) How do I make a screen capture in OS?

    > Applications -> Graphics -> Save Screenshot

    wow, so much easier than hitting printscreen or alt printscreen.

    gott go now, I need to ditch windows.

  4. Re: pulled the trigger

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Cydrome Leader wrote:

    > wow, so much easier than hitting printscreen or alt printscreen.

    Wow, ya learn something new every day! (No sarcasm intended!)

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  5. Re: pulled the trigger

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:27:33 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >
    >> wow, so much easier than hitting printscreen or alt printscreen.

    > Wow, ya learn something new every day! (No sarcasm intended!)

    Ya, but its even easier to add the screenshot app launcher to the top
    panel. One mouse click instead of 2 separate keystrokes.

  6. Re: pulled the trigger

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:27:33 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>
    >>> wow, so much easier than hitting printscreen or alt printscreen.

    >> Wow, ya learn something new every day! (No sarcasm intended!)

    > Ya, but its even easier to add the screenshot app launcher to the top
    > panel. One mouse click instead of 2 separate keystrokes.

    I just use the Gimp to take the screenshots since most likely you are
    going to edit the image anyway (crop, resize, etc)

  7. Re: pulled the trigger

    On 2008-06-17 13:25:56 +0100, Oscar del Rio said:

    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> Wow, ya learn something new every day! (No sarcasm intended!)

    >> Ya, but its even easier to add the screenshot app launcher to the top
    >> panel. One mouse click instead of 2 separate keystrokes.

    > I just use the Gimp to take the screenshots since most likely you are
    > going to edit the image anyway (crop, resize, etc)

    Doesn't anyone else use xwd? OK, so it writes the world's most useless
    graphic format, but it is very lean and mean.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  8. Re: pulled the trigger

    Chris Ridd wrote:
    > On 2008-06-17 13:25:56 +0100, Oscar del Rio said:
    >
    >> Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> Ya, but its even easier to add the screenshot app launcher to the top
    >>> panel. One mouse click instead of 2 separate keystrokes.

    >> I just use the Gimp to take the screenshots since most likely you are
    >> going to edit the image anyway (crop, resize, etc)

    > Doesn't anyone else use xwd? OK, so it writes the world's most useless
    > graphic format, but it is very lean and mean.

    Oh yes, all the time. xwd | xv - to select the output format...

  9. Re: pulled the trigger

    Solaris asked me to save the image, which is on a memory stick as I plow
    over windows.

    --
    "We wouldn't have a police department that had to show a profit every
    year - or a fire department that had to show a profit every year. We

    ~~ Michael Moore
    "Dave Uhring" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.06.16.18.01.29.39358@yahoo.com...
    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:27:33 +0000, Rich Teer wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>
    >>> wow, so much easier than hitting printscreen or alt printscreen.

    >> Wow, ya learn something new every day! (No sarcasm intended!)

    > Ya, but its even easier to add the screenshot app launcher to the top
    > panel. One mouse click instead of 2 separate keystrokes.

  10. Re: pulled the trigger

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:58:02 -0500, Ron Ford wrote:

    > Solaris asked me to save the image, which is on a memory stick as I plow
    > over windows.

    It will be saved in ~/Desktop by default.

  11. Re: pulled the trigger

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 21:52:49 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:58:02 -0500, Ron Ford wrote:
    >
    >> Solaris asked me to save the image, which is on a memory stick as I plow
    >> over windows.

    > It will be saved in ~/Desktop by default.

    My means of talking among partitions is now a memory stick. I had to kill
    both windows and solaris. This has been the fate of every linux install.
    Do you think of solaris as a form of linux?

    The biggest issue with a non-windows OS is communicating through the net.
    As I only have a modem, do I now need to work up a linmodem is solaris?

    Beautiful night here in the southwest.
    --
    Ron Ford

  12. Re: pulled the trigger

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 20:53:59 -0700, Ron Ford wrote:

    > My means of talking among partitions is now a memory stick. I had to kill
    > both windows and solaris. This has been the fate of every linux install.
    > Do you think of solaris as a form of linux?

    Solaris is UNIX and has been around somewhat longer than Linux. Linux is
    something like an imitation of UNIX, well done in some ways and not so
    well in others.

    If you create a FAT32 primary partition it can be written to and read from
    by both Solaris and Windows. If your CF stick is formatted FAT32 both OSs
    should be able to use it.

    The better way of doing things is to build another computer with as much
    HDD storage as you can afford and use Solaris to make it a general purpose
    server. See Simon's blog: http://breden.org.uk/

    > The biggest issue with a non-windows OS is communicating through the
    > net. As I only have a modem, do I now need to work up a linmodem is
    > solaris?

    External modems and a few internal modems which use real UARTs should work
    OK with Solaris. You may find useful information here:

    http://www.sunhelp.org/unix-serial-port-resources/

    > Beautiful night here in the southwest.

    Too much light pollution here in the Midwest.

  13. Re: pulled the trigger

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 03:14:03 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    > On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 20:53:59 -0700, Ron Ford wrote:
    >
    >> My means of talking among partitions is now a memory stick. I had to kill
    >> both windows and solaris. This has been the fate of every linux install.
    >> Do you think of solaris as a form of linux?

    > Solaris is UNIX and has been around somewhat longer than Linux. Linux is
    > something like an imitation of UNIX, well done in some ways and not so
    > well in others.
    >
    > If you create a FAT32 primary partition it can be written to and read from
    > by both Solaris and Windows. If your CF stick is formatted FAT32 both OSs
    > should be able to use it.
    >
    > The better way of doing things is to build another computer with as much
    > HDD storage as you can afford and use Solaris to make it a general purpose
    > server. See Simon's blog: http://breden.org.uk/

    Since George Bush came to power, my fortunes have shrunk, and I'm limited
    to one machine.

    I *did* reformat my windows from NTFS to FAT32.

    >> The biggest issue with a non-windows OS is communicating through the
    >> net. As I only have a modem, do I now need to work up a linmodem is
    >> solaris?

    > External modems and a few internal modems which use real UARTs should work
    > OK with Solaris. You may find useful information here:
    >
    > http://www.sunhelp.org/unix-serial-port-resources/

    I'll take a look.

    >> Beautiful night here in the southwest.

    > Too much light pollution here in the Midwest.

    Whereabouts? I had my friend Susan here tonight looking at Jupiter and his
    moons. I rocked her world by showing her another.
    --

  14. Re: pulled the trigger

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 02:29:58 -0700, Ron Ford wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 03:14:03 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    >> If you create a FAT32 primary partition it can be written to and read from
    >> by both Solaris and Windows. If your CF stick is formatted FAT32 both OSs
    >> should be able to use it.
    >>
    >> The better way of doing things is to build another computer with as much
    >> HDD storage as you can afford and use Solaris to make it a general purpose
    >> server. See Simon's blog: http://breden.org.uk/

    > Since George Bush came to power, my fortunes have shrunk, and I'm limited
    > to one machine.

    Rather than buy new ones I updated/upgraded a few old ones.

    > I *did* reformat my windows from NTFS to FAT32.

    There's no sense in crippling the file r/w performance of Windoes by
    running it on FAT32. Just create a separate partition to share between
    the two OSs.

    >> Too much light pollution here in the Midwest.

    > Whereabouts?

    About 15 miles east of St. Louis. Small city but well lit.

  15. Re: pulled the trigger

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 08:25:46 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    > On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 02:29:58 -0700, Ron Ford wrote:
    >> On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 03:14:03 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    >>> If you create a FAT32 primary partition it can be written to and read from
    >>> by both Solaris and Windows. If your CF stick is formatted FAT32 both OSs
    >>> should be able to use it.
    >>>
    >>> The better way of doing things is to build another computer with as much
    >>> HDD storage as you can afford and use Solaris to make it a general purpose
    >>> server. See Simon's blog: http://breden.org.uk/

    >> Since George Bush came to power, my fortunes have shrunk, and I'm limited
    >> to one machine.

    > Rather than buy new ones I updated/upgraded a few old ones.
    >
    >> I *did* reformat my windows from NTFS to FAT32.

    > There's no sense in crippling the file r/w performance of Windoes by
    > running it on FAT32. Just create a separate partition to share between
    > the two OSs.

    For me there was the extra rational that Partitionmagic could resize the
    primary ntfs windows partition because of discrepancies in the file table
    (??). Furthermore, I read that fat32 was easier to access from the linux
    point of view.

    >>> Too much light pollution here in the Midwest.

    >> Whereabouts?

    > About 15 miles east of St. Louis. Small city but well lit.

    I would be announcing my agenda for seeing lights when I crossed the
    Mississippi eastward on 40 into Illinois by simply suggesting the obvious.
    Stargazing in the midwest is not unlike listening to Dana Perino to find
    the truth: heavily obscured.

    --
    A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.
    H. L. Mencken

  16. Re: pulled the trigger

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 04:49:15 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 08:25:46 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    >> There's no sense in crippling the file r/w performance of Windoes by
    >> running it on FAT32. Just create a separate partition to share between
    >> the two OSs.

    > For me there was the extra rational that Partitionmagic could resize the
    > primary ntfs windows partition because of discrepancies in the file table
    > (??). Furthermore, I read that fat32 was easier to access from the linux
    > point of view.

    Actually NTFS partitions can be mounted r/w by modern Linux distributions.
    I have had the occasion to repair my son's Vista machine by using a
    bootable Linux CD.

    Once you have successfully shrunk your NTFS partition using whatever
    Windoes tool you can then construct an undamaged partition table with a
    wide choice of fdisk utilities. After all, the partition table is a block
    of only 64 bytes; how difficult can that be to fix?

  17. Re: pulled the trigger

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 06:10:26 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 04:49:15 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:
    >> On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 08:25:46 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:

    >>> There's no sense in crippling the file r/w performance of Windoes by
    >>> running it on FAT32. Just create a separate partition to share between
    >>> the two OSs.

    >> For me there was the extra rational that Partitionmagic could resize the
    >> primary ntfs windows partition because of discrepancies in the file table
    >> (??). Furthermore, I read that fat32 was easier to access from the linux
    >> point of view.

    > Actually NTFS partitions can be mounted r/w by modern Linux distributions.
    > I have had the occasion to repair my son's Vista machine by using a
    > bootable Linux CD.

    It was a problem with the ntfs partitions that was defying partitionmagic,
    which has shown itself woefully wanting in this process.

    > Once you have successfully shrunk your NTFS partition using whatever
    > Windoes tool you can then construct an undamaged partition table with a
    > wide choice of fdisk utilities. After all, the partition table is a block
    > of only 64 bytes; how difficult can that be to fix?

    I can think of a lot of permutations of 64 data.

    Installing opensolaris, take 10 ... action.
    --
    It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from
    man.

  18. Re: pulled the trigger

    Ron Ford wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 06:10:26 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:
    >
    >> On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 04:49:15 -0600, Ron Ford wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 08:25:46 -0500, Dave Uhring posted:
    >>> For me there was the extra rational that Partitionmagic could resize the
    >>> primary ntfs windows partition because of discrepancies in the file table
    >>> (??). Furthermore, I read that fat32 was easier to access from the linux
    >>> point of view.

    >> Actually NTFS partitions can be mounted r/w by modern Linux distributions.
    >> I have had the occasion to repair my son's Vista machine by using a
    >> bootable Linux CD.

    > It was a problem with the ntfs partitions that was defying partitionmagic,
    > which has shown itself woefully wanting in this process.

    I've found that *gparted*, which is available from various places but
    which I run from a System Rescue CD can
    handle disks and partitions that PQmagic (and DriveImage) don't like.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  19. Re: pulled the trigger

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 15:16:37 +1000, Gary R. Schmidt posted:

    > Ron Ford wrote:

    >>> Actually NTFS partitions can be mounted r/w by modern Linux distributions.
    >>> I have had the occasion to repair my son's Vista machine by using a
    >>> bootable Linux CD.

    >> It was a problem with the ntfs partitions that was defying partitionmagic,
    >> which has shown itself woefully wanting in this process.

    > I've found that *gparted*, which is available from various places but
    > which I run from a System Rescue CD can
    > handle disks and partitions that PQmagic (and DriveImage) don't like.

    Thanks for the link; that looks great.

    I found no magic in either Pmagic or BootMagic. The rescue diskettes
    wouldn't even boot (unable to find himem.sys).

    Am loading OpenSolaris presently.:-) I'm hoping that Sun does a good job
    with a dual boot. We'll see....

    --
    For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of
    the-not-worth-knowing.

+ Reply to Thread