Solaris 10u5 hanging early in Jumpstart x86 install - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10u5 hanging early in Jumpstart x86 install - Solaris ; I'm trying to install Solaris 10u5 on an xSeries 330 via Jumpstart, but whatever I do, it keeps hanging rather earliy in the process. Here's what I see with -v (attempting to preserve long lines): krtld: Unused kernel arguments: `install ...

  1. Solaris 10u5 hanging early in Jumpstart x86 install

    I'm trying to install Solaris 10u5 on an xSeries 330 via Jumpstart, but
    whatever I do, it keeps hanging rather earliy in the process. Here's
    what I see with -v (attempting to preserve long lines):

    krtld: Unused kernel arguments: `install dhcp'.
    module /platform/i86pc/kernel/unix: text at [0xfe800000, 0xfe882caf] data at 0xfec00000
    module misc/krtld: text at [0xfe882cb0, 0xfe8915e7] data at 0xfec413b0
    module /kernel/genunix: text at [0xfe8915e8, 0xfe9b330f] data at 0xfec46a20
    SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_127128-11 32-bit
    Copyright 1983-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Use is subject to license terms.
    features: 1003fdf
    Using default device instance data

    And here it just hangs. I find this odd because the same box installed
    fine with u4. In fact, if I replace the u5 x86.miniroot with the u4
    x86.miniroot (leaving everything else the same), the install process
    successfully starts; but obviously fails later on.

    Although I didn't think this could be a problem with the tftp server
    (since the miniroot is already transferred by this point, aiui), I tried
    this with a few different tftp servers, both Linux and Solaris, with the
    same result.

    Any ideas on where to go from here?

    --
    Andrew Deason
    adeason2@uiuc.edu

  2. Re: Solaris 10u5 hanging early in Jumpstart x86 install

    On 15 Jun 2008 08:18:25 GMT
    andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

    > In article <20080614195038.ee0ea2a8.adeason2@uiuc.edu>,
    > Andrew Deason writes:
    > > I'm trying to install Solaris 10u5 on an xSeries 330 via Jumpstart,
    > > but

    > Ah, that looks like a PIII system.

    Your eyes do not deceive you. Dual PIII 1GHz.

    > Try this...

    [set cmi_no_init to 1]

    > If that works,

    It does.

    > make the change permanent once you've installed by putting the
    > following in /etc/system:
    >
    > set cpu\.generic:gcpu_legacy_cpu_support=1

    Putting this in the x86.miniroot also works. If I enable this for all
    boxen (just for the installation boot), even those that don't need it,
    is there any downside? Enabling this all the time would make things
    slightly easier to automate.

    And many thanks! I see you've answered this before; apologies, but this
    isn't an easy problem to search for until I knew the solution.

    --
    Andrew Deason
    adeason2@uiuc.edu

  3. Re: Solaris 10u5 hanging early in Jumpstart x86 install

    quoting Andrew Deason (Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:30:04 -0400):
    > On 15 Jun 2008 08:18:25 GMT
    > andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
    >> Try this...
    >>

    > [set cmi_no_init to 1]
    >>
    >> If that works,

    > It does.
    >
    >> make the change permanent once you've installed by putting the
    >> following in /etc/system:
    >>
    >> set cpu\.generic:gcpu_legacy_cpu_support=1

    > And many thanks! I see you've answered this before; apologies, but this
    > isn't an easy problem to search for until I knew the solution.

    What I would like to know is if SUN has given up on PIII processors
    officially. Patch 127128 (kernel) had issues, but he kernel I downloaded
    today (a far newer one) still has the same issues.
    Without the cpu.generic in /etc/system it would not boot.

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u5 05/08 ++

  4. Re: Solaris 10u5 hanging early in Jumpstart x86 install

    In article <4856717f$0$756$5a6aecb4@news.aaisp.net.uk>,
    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >of them as far as Solaris is concerned. I suspect the problem is
    >finding old systems to test on.

    The bug isn't triggered on Sun's Pentium3-based LX50 or Xeon-based
    V60 and V65 systems?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  5. Re: Solaris 10u5 hanging early in Jumpstart x86 install

    quoting John D Groenveld (Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:46:50 +0000 (UTC)):
    > In article <4856717f$0$756$5a6aecb4@news.aaisp.net.uk>,
    > Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >>of them as far as Solaris is concerned. I suspect the problem is
    >>finding old systems to test on.

    > The bug isn't triggered on Sun's Pentium3-based LX50 or Xeon-based V60
    > and V65 systems?

    I have the feeling you already know the answer to that question ;-)
    Solaris used to start on my very old PIII. It still does, now that I
    have changed the /etc/system file with the known workaround.
    But I do feel this should not no longer be needed.
    There is after all a new kernel patch available.

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u5 05/08 ++

+ Reply to Thread