Solaris Express Developer Edition on ESX Server - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris Express Developer Edition on ESX Server - Solaris ; My question might be profoundly naive, I am sure I have missed some basic stuff.. Ok, I have managed to install Solaris Express Developer Edition using the sol-nv-b79b-x86-dvd.iso image on an ESX server. Further more, also managed to assign a ...

  1. Solaris Express Developer Edition on ESX Server

    My question might be profoundly naive, I am sure I have missed some
    basic stuff..

    Ok, I have managed to install Solaris Express Developer Edition using
    the sol-nv-b79b-x86-dvd.iso image on an ESX server. Further more, also
    managed to assign a static IP address and install Midnight Commander.
    Now I would like to make this box available to a couple of remote
    users who can log on to the system and start using it.

    Is there an easy way to do this? I am used to Remote Desktop in
    Windows, that works well and I am looking for the same functionality.

    On this new Solaris box, when logged in with a user account through
    the console application (running Gnome), I managed to share the
    desktop and see the screen using Windows VNC client -- TightVNC and
    RealVNC -- and they both work well. However, this is just a
    presentation/sharing tool, and as soon as my session is ending in the
    console, the remote screen also disappears.

    Is there a way to log on to the system through VNC or other graphical
    remote client?

    Thank you so much in advance.

    Zoltan

  2. Re: Solaris Express Developer Edition on ESX Server

    On Jun 10, 12:32*am, zoltansoos wrote:

    > Is there a way to log on to the system through VNC or other graphical
    > remote client?

    Use SSH with X forwarding. If your users are on Windows boxes they
    will need an X client. I recommend using a combination of PuTTY and
    Xming.

  3. Re: Solaris Express Developer Edition on ESX Server

    On Jun 10, 4:12*am, Andrew Owen wrote:
    > On Jun 10, 12:32*am, zoltansoos wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a way to log on to the system through VNC or other graphical
    > > remote client?

    > Use SSH with X forwarding. If your users are on Windows boxes they
    > will need an X client. I recommend using a combination of PuTTY and
    > Xming.

    Thank you so much Andrew. I am trying to install it now on a Windows
    XP box, but no luck so far. Xming seems to be too complex.

    Can you recommend a commercial offering that installs on a client
    computer and is usable out of the box?

  4. Re: Solaris Express Developer Edition on ESX Server

    In article ,
    zoltansoos wrote:
    >XP box, but no luck so far. Xming seems to be too complex.
    >
    >Can you recommend a commercial offering that installs on a client
    >computer and is usable out of the box?

    I use Exceed, but my employer gets a discount from Hummingbird.

    I have used XWin32 which has a convenient Try-n-Buy d/l.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

+ Reply to Thread