problems loading CDE - Solaris

This is a discussion on problems loading CDE - Solaris ; Ok, so a few weeks ago, I finished building an experimental computer, its case is totally cool, nice server case, pentium 3 processor(not the best, but ok), 384 megabytes of RAM. Its an ok computer. Anyway, I booted it with ...

  1. problems loading CDE

    Ok, so a few weeks ago, I finished building an experimental computer,
    its case is totally cool, nice server case, pentium 3 processor(not the
    best, but ok), 384 megabytes of RAM. Its an ok computer. Anyway, I
    booted it with Solaris 10, and the first day, it worked great, I got
    into the GUI fine, etc...

    Then, the next day, I logged in as root and it would get stuck loading
    the CDE. So, wondering what the problem was, I tried booting the OS in
    different modes, failsafe, x86, x86 multiboot. I tried all of them. And
    each time I tried logging in, it would continue to fail loading the CDE,
    and each time, it would dump me into a disobedient command line and I
    can't do a thing with it. Can someone please help me?
    Thnx in advance.

  2. Re: problems loading CDE

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:38:17 -0500, Ben Dover wrote:

    > Then, the next day, I logged in as root and it would get stuck loading
    > the CDE. So, wondering what the problem was, I tried booting the OS in
    > different modes, failsafe, x86, x86 multiboot. I tried all of them. And
    > each time I tried logging in, it would continue to fail loading the CDE,
    > and each time, it would dump me into a disobedient command line and I
    > can't do a thing with it. Can someone please help me?

    You should have created a user account first thing and logged in as root
    only in exceptional circumstances.

    Since you can get a "command line" use it:

    useradd -c 'Ben Dover' -d /export/home/ben -m -s /bin/bash ben
    passwd ben

    Now "exit" and log in a "ben". Once you have done that you can "su -" and
    clean up the mess you have made of the dot files in the / directory.

  3. Re: problems loading CDE

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:38:17 -0500, Ben Dover wrote:
    >
    >> Then, the next day, I logged in as root and it would get stuck loading
    >> the CDE. So, wondering what the problem was, I tried booting the OS in
    >> different modes, failsafe, x86, x86 multiboot. I tried all of them. And
    >> each time I tried logging in, it would continue to fail loading the CDE,
    >> and each time, it would dump me into a disobedient command line and I
    >> can't do a thing with it. Can someone please help me?

    > You should have created a user account first thing and logged in as root
    > only in exceptional circumstances.
    >
    > Since you can get a "command line" use it:
    >
    > useradd -c 'Ben Dover' -d /export/home/ben -m -s /bin/bash ben
    > passwd ben
    >

    > Now "exit" and log in a "ben". Once you have done that you can "su -" and
    > clean up the mess you have made of the dot files in the / directory.

    Ok, well I tried that, and It still got stuck trying to load the CDE,
    but at least I don't have to log in as root, anymore. Thanks for that.
    However, I was able to load the Java Desktop Release. Do you think that
    will work from now on?

  4. Re: problems loading CDE

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:25:36 -0500, Ben Dover wrote:

    > Ok, well I tried that, and It still got stuck trying to load the CDE,
    > but at least I don't have to log in as root, anymore. Thanks for that.
    > However, I was able to load the Java Desktop Release. Do you think that
    > will work from now on?

    Works for me. If you don't break it, it should work for you too.

    In order to get CDE back for root, "su -" and

    rm -r .TTauthority .dt*

    If that doesn't work then make sure these services, in addition to
    cde-login, are online:

    # svcs | grep cde
    online May_19 svc:/network/rpc/cde-calendar-manager:default
    online May_19 svc:/network/rpc/cde-ttdbserver:tcp

    Note: This is from Nevada build 87. YMMV.

  5. Re: problems loading CDE

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:25:36 -0500, Ben Dover wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, well I tried that, and It still got stuck trying to load the CDE,
    >> but at least I don't have to log in as root, anymore. Thanks for that.
    >> However, I was able to load the Java Desktop Release. Do you think that
    >> will work from now on?

    > Works for me. If you don't break it, it should work for you too.
    >
    > In order to get CDE back for root, "su -" and
    >
    > rm -r .TTauthority .dt*
    >
    > If that doesn't work then make sure these services, in addition to
    > cde-login, are online:
    >
    > # svcs | grep cde
    > online May_19 svc:/network/rpc/cde-calendar-manager:default
    > online May_19 svc:/network/rpc/cde-ttdbserver:tcp
    >
    > Note: This is from Nevada build 87. YMMV.

    tyvm

+ Reply to Thread