installing solaris - Solaris

This is a discussion on installing solaris - Solaris ; I finally opened my "all access kit" and have 2 new sun discs. My endeavor was to use partitionmagic and bootmagic to have solaris as another option to boot to, but partitionmagic won't let me even resize the main partition, ...

  1. installing solaris

    I finally opened my "all access kit" and have 2 new sun discs.

    My endeavor was to use partitionmagic and bootmagic to have solaris as
    another option to boot to, but partitionmagic won't let me even resize the
    main partition, giving me an error about directories not matching up.

    I still want to get solaris installed somehow and thought it might fire up
    as a boot disc, but it does not. At this point, I've backed up as much of
    my data as I could, so I'm as indifferent as I can be to losing my windows
    install.

    Any ideas how I might go forward here? Make a partition with fdisk? If
    wiping out windows is what I have to do, then that's on the table.

    --
    Strike an average between what a woman thinks of her husband a month before
    she marries him and what she thinks of him a year afterward, and you will

  2. Re: installing solaris

    In article <484a5659$0$663$5a6aecb4@news.aaisp.net.uk>,
    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >Partition Magic is an excellent partitioning tool, and I would
    >suggest you try to use it if you already have it. I'm not very
    >familiar with Windows disk check/repair tools, but you might want
    >to try running CHKDSK to see if it can find any problem, and
    >possibly repair it, such that Partition Magic will run.

    Before I use qparted from the Knoppix LiveCD to resize
    Microsoft installations, I run the NTFS defrag tool within
    Windows.

    After resizing the Microsoft fdisk partition, Windows
    will run chkdsk automatically

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: installing solaris

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 02:24:31 -0500, Ron Ford wrote:

    > I finally opened my "all access kit" and have 2 new sun discs.
    >
    > My endeavor was to use partitionmagic and bootmagic to have solaris as
    > another option to boot to, but partitionmagic won't let me even resize the
    > main partition, giving me an error about directories not matching up.

    No matter what you should fix this first

    > I still want to get solaris installed somehow and thought it might fire up
    > as a boot disc, but it does not. At this point, I've backed up as much of
    > my data as I could, so I'm as indifferent as I can be to losing my windows
    > install.
    > Any ideas how I might go forward here? Make a partition with fdisk? If
    > wiping out windows is what I have to do, then that's on the table.

    Just a suggestion but -
    If you fix the problem you describe above you have many options depending
    on disk space and amount of RAM. One:
    No need to re-partition if you use a VMWare Player "appliance" or a
    Virtual Box but youll need at least 8 GB free of disk [I suggest 20] and
    plenty left over for WinBlow$ after - I mean plenty - and at least 1 GB of
    RAM preferrably 2. Not a lot to ask nowadays..?
    Its how I usually introduce Solaris to Gatesian types : > and the
    advantages are: a) Easy to remove b) you can run both at the same time.

  4. Re: installing solaris

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 10:27:33 -0700, AGT wrote:

    > Its how I usually introduce Solaris to Gatesian types : > and the
    > advantages are: a) Easy to remove b) you can run both at the same time.

    Better to run Winblows in Solaris using VirtualBox.

  5. Re: installing solaris

    quoting Dave Uhring (Sat, 07 Jun 2008 13:58:34 -0500):
    > On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 10:27:33 -0700, AGT wrote:
    >
    >> Its how I usually introduce Solaris to Gatesian types : > and the
    >> advantages are: a) Easy to remove b) you can run both at the same
    >> time.

    > Better to run Winblows in Solaris using VirtualBox.

    VirtualBox still amazes me. The VM's run so smoothly and windows w/ it's
    seamless mode really rocks.

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u4 08/07 ++

  6. Re: installing solaris

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 21:47:59 +0200, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    > quoting Dave Uhring (Sat, 07 Jun 2008 13:58:34 -0500):

    >> Better to run Winblows in Solaris using VirtualBox.

    > VirtualBox still amazes me. The VM's run so smoothly and windows w/ it's
    > seamless mode really rocks.

    It took me a few minutes to realize that I really needed to RTFM then set
    DHCP for network config

  7. Re: installing solaris

    On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 02:24:31 -0500, Ron Ford wrote:

    >I finally opened my "all access kit" and have 2 new sun discs.
    >
    >My endeavor was to use partitionmagic and bootmagic to have solaris as
    >another option to boot to, but partitionmagic won't let me even resize the
    >main partition, giving me an error about directories not matching up.
    >
    >I still want to get solaris installed somehow and thought it might fire up
    >as a boot disc, but it does not. At this point, I've backed up as much of
    >my data as I could, so I'm as indifferent as I can be to losing my windows
    >install.
    >
    >Any ideas how I might go forward here? Make a partition with fdisk? If
    >wiping out windows is what I have to do, then that's on the table.

    Boot from the install disk. Solaris will give you the option of partitioning
    the disk as part of the install.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  8. Re: installing solaris

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 13:58:34 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 10:27:33 -0700, AGT wrote:
    >> Its how I usually introduce Solaris to Gatesian types : > and the
    >> advantages are: a) Easy to remove b) you can run both at the same time.

    > Better to run Winblows in Solaris using VirtualBox.

    Didnt work out that way for me on the laptop.
    Never shoulda bought that Turion dual core : <

    XP is a very poor performer under Nevada/VBox for me.
    Even FreeCell seems to shake and jitter.
    The reverse was not the case! But I used either VMW Workstation
    or Player to encapsulate Solaris. It didnt ALWAYS install
    or work after but when it did it was a simple matter of session switching.

  9. Re: installing solaris

    quoting AGT (Sat, 07 Jun 2008 23:42:29 -0700):

    > XP is a very poor performer under Nevada/VBox for me.

    AMD64/4000+ ; 3G memory ; 512Mb for XP and it really rocks. Even
    Photoshop or InDesign run like a charm. Games always are difficult to
    run in a VM

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u4 08/07 ++

  10. Re: installing solaris

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 23:42:29 -0700, AGT wrote:

    > Didnt work out that way for me on the laptop.
    > Never shoulda bought that Turion dual core : <
    >
    > XP is a very poor performer under Nevada/VBox for me.
    > Even FreeCell seems to shake and jitter.

    No performance problems here. It's a desktop system with amd64-x2 4800+,
    2GB memory with 512MB given to guest OS. The guest OS only takes up a bit
    more than 3GB of space in my $HOME even with SP3 applied.

    I haven't played any games using the billyware since I installed it only
    to access web sites which will not render using any browser in Solaris,
    including some of Sun's own sites.

    > The reverse was not the case! But I used either VMW Workstation or
    > Player to encapsulate Solaris. It didnt ALWAYS install or work after but
    > when it did it was a simple matter of session switching.

    I've never trusted any microcrap for anything like that. It's usefulness
    extends only to its bogus web browser to access poorly designed web sites.
    I just cannot understand why the producer of an excellent UNIX system
    designs its web sites in such a manner that they are accessible *only*
    with internet exploiter.

  11. Re: installing solaris

    quoting Dave Uhring (Sun, 08 Jun 2008 07:36:05 -0500):
    > I just cannot understand why the producer of an excellent UNIX system
    > designs its web sites in such a manner that they are accessible *only*
    > with internet exploiter.

    No offence, but can you be a more specific about exactly which URL's
    don't render for you? I have not found one SUN url with problems for me,
    not on S10u5, nor on SXDE4.

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u5 08/07 ++

  12. Re: installing solaris

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:06:26 +0200, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

    > quoting Dave Uhring (Sun, 08 Jun 2008 07:36:05 -0500):
    >> I just cannot understand why the producer of an excellent UNIX system
    >> designs its web sites in such a manner that they are accessible *only*
    >> with internet exploiter.

    > No offence, but can you be a more specific about exactly which URL's
    > don't render for you? I have not found one SUN url with problems for me,
    > not on S10u5, nor on SXDE4.

    All software registration sites I have encountered:

    Java SDK
    Staroffice7
    Staroffice8
    OpenOffice.org

  13. Re: installing solaris

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 11:52:41 +0200, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

    > quoting AGT (Sat, 07 Jun 2008 23:42:29 -0700):
    >> XP is a very poor performer under Nevada/VBox for me.

    > AMD64/4000+ ; 3G memory ; 512Mb for XP and it really rocks. Even
    > Photoshop or InDesign run like a charm. Games always are difficult to
    > run in a VM

    A different CPU - I wonder if anyone else has my problems with the Turion
    X2 on a laptop or is it just MY Gateway? : > Which is fully loaded BTW.
    2 BG RAM fast disk etc. The dang thing never has behaved with most
    Solaris releases - Ive had to throw various hacks at in the past
    just to get it to run at all. Some releases just DONT run or install.

    I have to say that running WinBlow$ on a Nevada laptop is not a top
    priority! I was just surprised to see how badly it performed and
    left it at that.

  14. Re: installing solaris

    In article ,
    AGT wrote:
    >A different CPU - I wonder if anyone else has my problems with the Turion
    >X2 on a laptop or is it just MY Gateway? : > Which is fully loaded BTW.
    >2 BG RAM fast disk etc. The dang thing never has behaved with most
    >Solaris releases - Ive had to throw various hacks at in the past
    >just to get it to run at all. Some releases just DONT run or install.

    You might try the latest Nevada and VirtualBox.

    One of my students is playing with them on a first generation
    Gateway Turion and is happy.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  15. Re: installing solaris

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 16:05:48 +0000, John D Groenveld wrote:

    > In article ,
    > AGT wrote:
    >>A different CPU - I wonder if anyone else has my problems with the Turion
    >>X2 on a laptop or is it just MY Gateway? : > Which is fully loaded BTW.
    >>2 BG RAM fast disk etc. The dang thing never has behaved with most
    >>Solaris releases - Ive had to throw various hacks at in the past
    >>just to get it to run at all. Some releases just DONT run or install.

    > One of my students is playing with them on a first generation
    > Gateway Turion and is happy.

    Im using 83b at the moment and every once in a while it decides to
    STOP - the cursor disappears and NO keyboard - after about 30 seconds
    [sometimes more] the system comes back like nothing happened.
    And this is good compared to some releases Ive tried : >
    Im playing a bit with b90 on SPARC at the moment. Interesting this
    ZFS boot thing..

  16. Re: installing solaris

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 12:20:40 +1000, Barry OGrady wrote:

    > On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 02:24:31 -0500, Ron Ford wrote:
    >
    >>I finally opened my "all access kit" and have 2 new sun discs.
    >>
    >>My endeavor was to use partitionmagic and bootmagic to have solaris as
    >>another option to boot to, but partitionmagic won't let me even resize the
    >>main partition, giving me an error about directories not matching up.
    >>
    >>I still want to get solaris installed somehow and thought it might fire up
    >>as a boot disc, but it does not. At this point, I've backed up as much of
    >>my data as I could, so I'm as indifferent as I can be to losing my windows
    >>install.
    >>
    >>Any ideas how I might go forward here? Make a partition with fdisk? If
    >>wiping out windows is what I have to do, then that's on the table.

    > Boot from the install disk. Solaris will give you the option of partitioning
    > the disk as part of the install.

    Thanks all for responses. I thought I tried this already, but I'll see if
    my BIOS is looking for a cd-rom before it fires up windows.

    The 2 All Access discs are indistinguishable except for the list of
    programs. There's no disc one and disc two. The one that came on the RHS
    of the set has NetBeans, JAVA platform, sun training, sun support and seven
    others. The other has Sun Studio 12, Sun HPC Clustertools and two others.

    I've been trying to get PartitionMagic past an NTFS file error for my
    windows partition. I defragged, and it doesn't look like it's defragged.
    CHKDSK doesn't have any complaints. I think though, despite this whopping
    windows error, I've got the partition and swap space I need.

    We'll see ....
    --
    A prohibitionist is the sort of man one couldn't care to drink with, even
    if he drank.

  17. Re: installing solaris

    On 07 Jun 2008 09:35:21 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    > In article <1rl3tzx3rbrmf.ewk8fhbko6v5$.dlg@40tude.net>,
    > Ron Ford writes:
    >> I finally opened my "all access kit" and have 2 new sun discs.

    > I've no idea what disks are in that kit.
    > Can you state what the disks call themselves?
    >
    >> My endeavor was to use partitionmagic and bootmagic to have solaris as
    >> another option to boot to, but partitionmagic won't let me even resize the
    >> main partition, giving me an error about directories not matching up.

    > Partition Magic is an excellent partitioning tool, and I would
    > suggest you try to use it if you already have it. I'm not very
    > familiar with Windows disk check/repair tools, but you might want
    > to try running CHKDSK to see if it can find any problem, and
    > possibly repair it, such that Partition Magic will run.
    >
    > If you can get Partition Magic to run, use it to create enough
    > space for a new primary fdisk partition and create a Linux SWAP
    > partition in that space. The Solaris installer will recognise
    > this and install into it. Solaris's own fdisk is OK too, but the
    > separate fdisk functionality built into the Solaris installer is
    > somewhat more suspect.
    >
    >> I still want to get solaris installed somehow and thought it might fire up
    >> as a boot disc, but it does not.

    > Solaris install disks are bootable. Like I said, I've no idea
    > what the kit you have contains though.
    >
    >> At this point, I've backed up as much of
    >> my data as I could, so I'm as indifferent as I can be to losing my windows
    >> install.
    >>
    >> Any ideas how I might go forward here? Make a partition with fdisk? If
    >> wiping out windows is what I have to do, then that's on the table.

    > That shouldn't be necessary.

    I think I missed the bus in a serious way here. There's all kind of
    development tools on these discs, but nothing that says solaris, except the
    logos. How do I acquire solaris?
    --
    Most people are unable to write because they are unable to think, and they
    are unable to think because they congenitally lack the equipment to do so,

  18. Re: installing solaris

    Ron Ford wrote:
    > I think I missed the bus in a serious way here. There's all kind of
    > development tools on these discs, but nothing that says solaris, except the
    > logos. How do I acquire solaris?

    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/index.jsp

    Not sure what you got but it does not seem to be Solaris.

+ Reply to Thread