how do you properly change the IP address of a system? - Solaris

This is a discussion on how do you properly change the IP address of a system? - Solaris ; I have several systems running Solaris 10 x86. In the /etc/hosts file, they all look something like this: 127.0.0.1 localhost 192.168.0.100 server 192.168.0.101 client_1 192.168.0.102 client_2 I'm moving these computers to a Windows network, where their IP addresses look like ...

  1. how do you properly change the IP address of a system?

    I have several systems running Solaris 10 x86. In the /etc/hosts
    file, they all look something like this:

    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.0.100 server
    192.168.0.101 client_1
    192.168.0.102 client_2

    I'm moving these computers to a Windows network, where their IP
    addresses look like this:

    192.168.1.1 pc_A
    192.168.1.2 pc_B
    192.168.1.3 pc_C

    So on the Solaris 10 x86 systems, I revised the /etc/hosts file of
    those systems to look something like this:

    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.1.100 server
    192.168.1.101 client_1
    192.168.1.102 client_2

    Then, I rebooted these Solaris systems, but I no longer see them boot
    up to the log-in screen like before.

    Anyone knows what I did wrong? Please advise.

  2. Re: how do you properly change the IP address of a system?

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 21:16:44 -0700, Michelle wrote:

    > So on the Solaris 10 x86 systems, I revised the /etc/hosts file of
    > those systems to look something like this:
    >
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost
    > 192.168.1.100 server
    > 192.168.1.101 client_1
    > 192.168.1.102 client_2
    >
    > Then, I rebooted these Solaris systems, but I no longer see them boot
    > up to the log-in screen like before.

    That would have worked if your systems had been configured properly in the
    first place.

    Execute sys-unconfig and when the systems reboot you will be prompted for
    all the necessary configuration information.

  3. Re: how do you properly change the IP address of a system?

    Michelle wrote:
    > I have several systems running Solaris 10 x86. In the /etc/hosts
    > file, they all look something like this:
    >
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost
    > 192.168.0.100 server
    > 192.168.0.101 client_1
    > 192.168.0.102 client_2
    >
    > I'm moving these computers to a Windows network, where their IP
    > addresses look like this:
    >
    > 192.168.1.1 pc_A
    > 192.168.1.2 pc_B
    > 192.168.1.3 pc_C
    >
    > So on the Solaris 10 x86 systems, I revised the /etc/hosts file of
    > those systems to look something like this:
    >
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost
    > 192.168.1.100 server
    > 192.168.1.101 client_1
    > 192.168.1.102 client_2
    >
    > Then, I rebooted these Solaris systems, but I no longer see them boot
    > up to the log-in screen like before.
    >
    > Anyone knows what I did wrong? Please advise.

    I believe you need to edit more files than /etc/hosts.

    As someone else said, sys-unconfig will do this for you. If you read the
    sys-unconfig man page, it will tell you what files get edited, so you
    could do it manually. But it is probably easier to just run sys-unconfig.

+ Reply to Thread