VirtualBox 1.6 + Host Interface Networking under Solaris 10 x86 - Solaris

This is a discussion on VirtualBox 1.6 + Host Interface Networking under Solaris 10 x86 - Solaris ; Dear all, we have installed VirtualBox 1.6 under Solaris 10 x86 3/05 Patch Level 118844-30 and want to create a virtual network interface by using the script /opt/VirtualBox/vnic_setup.sh MAC address The system is telling us /usr/lib/vna: no such file or ...

  1. VirtualBox 1.6 + Host Interface Networking under Solaris 10 x86

    Dear all,
    we have installed VirtualBox 1.6 under Solaris 10 x86 3/05 Patch Level
    118844-30 and
    want to create a virtual network interface by using the script

    /opt/VirtualBox/vnic_setup.sh MAC address

    The system is telling us

    /usr/lib/vna: no such file or directory

    Any idea what's wrong here and/or do we have to install an additional
    SUNW.. package?

    THX,
    RainerB.

  2. Re: VirtualBox 1.6 + Host Interface Networking under Solaris 10 x86

    Dear Rainer

    RBläs wrote:
    > Dear all,
    > we have installed VirtualBox 1.6 under Solaris 10 x86 3/05 Patch Level
    > 118844-30 and
    > want to create a virtual network interface by using the script
    >
    > /opt/VirtualBox/vnic_setup.sh MAC address
    >
    > The system is telling us
    >
    > /usr/lib/vna: no such file or directory
    >
    > Any idea what's wrong here and/or do we have to install an additional
    > SUNW.. package?
    >
    > THX,
    > RainerB.

    The VirtualBox package supports OpenSolaris only, that's why
    the setup command for virtual NICs is missing. It's part of
    project Crossbow which doesn't exist in s10. If your require
    a s10 host you may wanna look at
    http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=6748

    Thomas

    GPG fingerprint: B1 EE D2 39 2C 82 26 DA A5 4D E0 50 35 75 9E ED

  3. Re: VirtualBox 1.6 + Host Interface Networking under Solaris 10 x86

    quoting Thomas Nau (12 Jun 2008 14:48:00 +0100):
    > The VirtualBox package supports OpenSolaris only

    Have you looked at the packages offered lately?
    There is a special solaris 10 package available for download too.

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u5 05/08 ++

  4. Re: VirtualBox 1.6 + Host Interface Networking under Solaris 10 x86

    On 2008-06-12 16:58:49 +0100, Dick Hoogendijk said:

    > quoting Thomas Nau (12 Jun 2008 14:48:00 +0100):
    >> The VirtualBox package supports OpenSolaris only

    > Have you looked at the packages offered lately?
    > There is a special solaris 10 package available for download too.

    The last time I grabbed it though, it was literally identical to the
    version for OpenSolaris and as it depended on things only in
    OpenSolaris... I gave up trying to hack around that and just went to
    2008.05.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  5. Re: VirtualBox 1.6 + Host Interface Networking under Solaris 10 x86

    RBläs wrote:
    > Dear all,
    > we have installed VirtualBox 1.6 under Solaris 10 x86 3/05 Patch Level
    > 118844-30 and
    > want to create a virtual network interface by using the script
    >
    > /opt/VirtualBox/vnic_setup.sh MAC address
    >
    > The system is telling us
    >
    > /usr/lib/vna: no such file or directory
    >
    > Any idea what's wrong here and/or do we have to install an additional
    > SUNW.. package?
    >
    > THX,
    > RainerB.

    Hi,

    Make sure you are using the latest VirtualBox version particularly if
    you have a chip that supports AMD or Intel hardware virtualisation.
    The current version is VirtualBox v1.6.2 and is significantly quicker
    now that it properly supports the chip hardware virtualisation.
    The OpenSolaris and Solaris versions of VirtualBox are identical (may
    have changed), however there are dependancies which are not part of
    Solaris.
    In order to implement Host network interfacing which I have used my
    self follow the instructions on either forum

    http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thre...1497&tstart=60

    or

    http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=6748

    Both are saying the same thing. However, I had previously attempted
    to build the Tuntap driver on Solaris 10 8/07 and it failed, with
    Solaris 10 5/08 it built cleanly. The Host interfacing is working
    fine but with the condition it is not possible to establish a working
    connection with the host.

+ Reply to Thread