Solaris Express on Ultra 20 - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris Express on Ultra 20 - Solaris ; Hi, I'm planning to install the latest Solaris Express (build 87) on my Ultra-20 M2 (I'm currently running Solaris 10 11/06). The U20 came with a supplemental CD containing the nvidia graphics and audio drivers. Have these drivers made it ...

  1. Solaris Express on Ultra 20

    Hi,

    I'm planning to install the latest Solaris Express (build 87) on
    my Ultra-20 M2 (I'm currently running Solaris 10 11/06).
    The U20 came with a supplemental CD containing the nvidia
    graphics and audio drivers. Have these drivers made it into
    the new Solaris Express distributions or do I still need
    to reinstall them from some other source?

    Thanks in advance,

    Karl D

  2. Re: Solaris Express on Ultra 20

    KarlD wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm planning to install the latest Solaris Express (build 87) on
    > my Ultra-20 M2 (I'm currently running Solaris 10 11/06).
    > The U20 came with a supplemental CD containing the nvidia
    > graphics and audio drivers. Have these drivers made it into
    > the new Solaris Express distributions or do I still need
    > to reinstall them from some other source?

    They probably have, which version is the video driver?

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: Solaris Express on Ultra 20

    On May 19, 9:52 pm, Ian Collins wrote:
    > KarlD wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > The U20 came with a supplemental CD containing the nvidia
    > > graphics and audio drivers. Have these drivers made it into
    > > the new Solaris Express distributions or do I still need
    > > to reinstall them from some other source?

    > They probably have, which version is the video driver?

    Seems to be ver. 1.0-9631:
    (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 1.0-9631 Thu Nov 9 17:37:40 PST 2006
    (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
    The Graphics card I have in the U20 is PCI express,
    Nvidia Quadro FX 560.

    Thanks,
    /Karl

  4. Re: Solaris Express on Ultra 20

    KarlD wrote:
    > On May 19, 9:52 pm, Ian Collins wrote:
    >> KarlD wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> The U20 came with a supplemental CD containing the nvidia
    >>> graphics and audio drivers. Have these drivers made it into
    >>> the new Solaris Express distributions or do I still need
    >>> to reinstall them from some other source?

    >> They probably have, which version is the video driver?
    >>

    > Seems to be ver. 1.0-9631:
    > (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 1.0-9631 Thu Nov 9 17:37:40 PST 2006
    > (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
    > The Graphics card I have in the U20 is PCI express,
    > Nvidia Quadro FX 560.

    A build 81 box of mine reports:

    VERSION: 169.08,REV=2008.01.11.21.23

    --
    Ian Collins.

  5. Re: Solaris Express on Ultra 20

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 18:59:25 +1200, Ian Collins wrote:

    > A build 81 box of mine reports:
    >
    > VERSION: 169.08,REV=2008.01.11.21.23

    Build 87:

    SUNW_PRODVERS=169.12

  6. Re: Solaris Express on Ultra 20

    On May 20, 12:59 am, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > Build 87:
    >
    > SUNW_PRODVERS=169.12

    OK, that seems to be a far newer nvidia driver than I'm currently
    using. Is the audio driver 'audiohd' included ?
    % ls -l /kernel/drv/audiohd
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 25768 Sep 29 2006 /kernel/drv/
    audiohd
    Don' t know what version it is.

    Any potential compatibility problems to be aware of when
    upgrading to Solaris Express ?
    The main reason for my switch is that I need better
    usb support, (ugen driver supports isochronous transfers among
    other things). I need to be able to run Ekiga with webcam
    support, which I have heard should work fine.
    Is it true that CDE is no longer included in Solaris Express. ?

    Thanks.,
    /Karl

  7. Re: Solaris Express on Ultra 20

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 10:50:05 -0700, KarlD wrote:

    > OK, that seems to be a far newer nvidia driver than I'm currently
    > using. Is the audio driver 'audiohd' included ?
    > % ls -l /kernel/drv/audiohd
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 25768 Sep 29 2006 /kernel/drv/
    > audiohd
    > Don' t know what version it is.

    Included driver doesn't work on my systems, but the driver from
    opensound.com works well. But then, I'm not using a Sun machine.

    > Any potential compatibility problems to be aware of when
    > upgrading to Solaris Express ?

    There shouldn't be. Sun tends to support their own hardware pretty well.

    > The main reason for my switch is that I need better usb support, (ugen
    > driver supports isochronous transfers among other things). I need to be
    > able to run Ekiga with webcam support, which I have heard should work
    > fine. Is it true that CDE is no longer included in Solaris Express. ?

    CDE is still included as of b_87.

    No idea about ugen driver or Ekiga. My USB mouse works perfectly.

  8. Re: Solaris Express on Ultra 20

    KarlD writes in alt.solaris.x86:
    |Is it true that CDE is no longer included in Solaris Express. ?

    CDE is not included in OpenSolaris 2008.05. It is still included
    in Solaris Express (mostly - a couple programs have already been
    removed, like sdtimage) - but the session option will be removed
    from the login screen in Solaris Express build 90:
    http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermai...ay/013892.html

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/

  9. Re: Solaris Express on Ultra 20

    On May 22, 4:37 pm, Alan Coopersmith
    wrote:
    > CDE is not included in OpenSolaris 2008.05. It is still included
    > in Solaris Express (mostly - a couple programs have already been
    > removed, like sdtimage) - but the session option will be removed
    > from the login screen in Solaris Express build 90:http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermai...008-May/013892...

    Thanks for the update on that. I better pick b89 then
    to make sure I have the choice of CDE.
    I usually don't use window managers to run program but
    prefer to run all applications from the shell.

    /Karl

+ Reply to Thread