OpenSolaris vs Solaris? - Solaris

This is a discussion on OpenSolaris vs Solaris? - Solaris ; Hey, What's the difference between the Solaris I can download from the main Sun site and OpenSolaris? -- "Remain calm, we're here to protect you!"...

  1. OpenSolaris vs Solaris?

    --
    "Remain calm, we're here to protect you!"

  2. Re: OpenSolaris vs Solaris?

    Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > What's the difference between the Solaris I can download from the main Sun
    > site and OpenSolaris?

    There is plenty of data on Sun's site. Here's one comparision

    http://developers.sun.com/sxde/faq.jsp#q_4

    (look at questions 4 to 7).

    Somewhere there is a table on the site, which summaries the difference,
    but you will have to look for it.

  3. Re: OpenSolaris vs Solaris?

    Dave wrote:
    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >> Hey,
    >>
    >> What's the difference between the Solaris I can download from the main
    >> Sun
    >> site and OpenSolaris?
    >>

    > There is plenty of data on Sun's site. Here's one comparision
    >
    > http://developers.sun.com/sxde/faq.jsp#q_4
    >
    > (look at questions 4 to 7).
    >
    > Somewhere there is a table on the site, which summaries the difference,
    > but you will have to look for it.

    I believe that table is obsolete.. Since Solaris 10 05/08 has already
    been released, and now Indiana has finally been released... I don't
    think comparing SXDE 1/08 and Solaris 10 8/07 is relevant now.

  4. Re: OpenSolaris vs Solaris?

    Keith H wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >> Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >>> Hey,
    >>>
    >>> What's the difference between the Solaris I can download from the
    >>> main Sun
    >>> site and OpenSolaris?
    >>>

    >> There is plenty of data on Sun's site. Here's one comparision
    >>
    >> http://developers.sun.com/sxde/faq.jsp#q_4
    >>
    >> (look at questions 4 to 7).
    >>
    >> Somewhere there is a table on the site, which summaries the
    >> difference, but you will have to look for it.

    > I believe that table is obsolete.. Since Solaris 10 05/08 has already
    > been released, and now Indiana has finally been released... I don't
    > think comparing SXDE 1/08 and Solaris 10 8/07 is relevant now.

    What jumped out at me was "Patches: Not available" What good is that?

    Might as well buy x86-based Sun Servers and go with CentOS Linux
    (distribution compiled from Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS open source).

    At least you can keep the Linux O/S up-to-date, or you can go with
    Solaris 10 and pay Sun's annual support contract.

    It's hard to take OpenSolaris seriously when the patches are CLOSED!!
    How open is that policy?!?!

  5. Re: OpenSolaris vs Solaris?

    John Ellard wrote:
    > Keith H wrote:
    >>
    >> I believe that table is obsolete.. Since Solaris 10 05/08 has already
    >> been released, and now Indiana has finally been released... I don't
    >> think comparing SXDE 1/08 and Solaris 10 8/07 is relevant now.
    >>

    > What jumped out at me was "Patches: Not available" What good is that?

    With something that's updated every couple of weeks, you don't need OS
    patches. If there were patches, can you imaging the nightmare of a test
    matrix?

    Unbundled packages (like Staroffice and some of the Java stuff) can
    still be patched.

    > It's hard to take OpenSolaris seriously when the patches are CLOSED!!
    > How open is that policy?!?!

    How can something that does not exist be closed?

    See the new OpenSolaris release from Sun if you want a supported
    OpenSolaris distro.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  6. Re: OpenSolaris vs Solaris?

    John Ellard wrote:
    > Keith H wrote:
    >> Dave wrote:

    >>> There is plenty of data on Sun's site. Here's one comparision
    >>>
    >>> http://developers.sun.com/sxde/faq.jsp#q_4
    >>>
    >>> (look at questions 4 to 7).
    >>>
    >>> Somewhere there is a table on the site, which summaries the
    >>> difference, but you will have to look for it.

    >> I believe that table is obsolete.. Since Solaris 10 05/08 has already
    >> been released, and now Indiana has finally been released... I don't
    >> think comparing SXDE 1/08 and Solaris 10 8/07 is relevant now.
    >>

    > What jumped out at me was "Patches: Not available" What good is that?
    >
    > Might as well buy x86-based Sun Servers and go with CentOS Linux
    > (distribution compiled from Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS open source).
    >
    > At least you can keep the Linux O/S up-to-date, or you can go with
    > Solaris 10 and pay Sun's annual support contract.
    >
    > It's hard to take OpenSolaris seriously when the patches are CLOSED!!
    > How open is that policy?!?!

    The software is free. You PAY for support. Patches ARE SUPPORT. I
    think the security patches are still free but that's all.

  7. Re: OpenSolaris vs Solaris?

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    >> It's hard to take OpenSolaris seriously when the patches are CLOSED!!
    >> How open is that policy?!?!
    >>

    > The software is free. You PAY for support. Patches ARE SUPPORT. I
    > think the security patches are still free but that's all.

    I don't think there are any patches - whether you pay or not. My
    understanding is that Solaris 10 is supported with patches, but the
    community/developer editions are not, as they are by their very nature
    experimental.

  8. Re: OpenSolaris vs Solaris?

    Dave wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >>> It's hard to take OpenSolaris seriously when the patches are CLOSED!!
    >>> How open is that policy?!?!
    >>>

    >> The software is free. You PAY for support. Patches ARE SUPPORT. I
    >> think the security patches are still free but that's all.

    > I don't think there are any patches - whether you pay or not. My
    > understanding is that Solaris 10 is supported with patches, but the
    > community/developer editions are not, as they are by their very nature
    > experimental.

    Okay! There are no "patches" because there is a new version every few
    weeks. I'm still running S8, S9, and S10 (one of each).

  9. Re: OpenSolaris vs Solaris?

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > The software is free. You PAY for support. Patches ARE SUPPORT. I
    > think the security patches are still free but that's all.

    Using Solaris 10 5/08 release, when I fire up the updatemgr, I get
    Security, Recommended and Generic patches... I do not have any support
    contract, I'm just registered at the Sun Update Connection.

    The difference between Solaris and OpenSolaris is with Solaris you can
    get patches and currently with OpenSolaris no patches are available.

    I suppose to update OpenSolaris you need to download an updated release
    and do an upgrade install (is that even possible) or live update.

    ~k

+ Reply to Thread