can't pull the trigger - Solaris

This is a discussion on can't pull the trigger - Solaris ; I asked once, but I'll ask again. I intend to make a sun partition with a hard Sun disc latest version, Partitionmagic and not queering windows. Am I correct that ordinary mortals can achieve this? -- "Life in Lubbock, Texas, ...

  1. can't pull the trigger

    --
    "Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you
    and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most

    ~~ Butch Han****

  2. Re: can't pull the trigger

    On 2008-05-02 06:05:38 +0100, "Ron Ford" said:

    > I asked once, but I'll ask again.
    >
    > I intend to make a sun partition with a hard Sun disc latest version,
    > Partitionmagic and not queering windows. Am I correct that ordinary mortals
    > can achieve this?

    There's no reason why it won't work, unless you fat finger it :-)

    I've shrunk a Windows partition on a disk successfully before, but
    using parted (a linux live CD) instead of Partitionmagic.

    Come to think of it, parted would be a cool thing to have on the
    Indiana Live CD.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  3. Re: can't pull the trigger

    On 2008-05-02 10:01:29 +0100, andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    Gabriel) said:

    > In article <67vnkmF2qrr88U1@mid.individual.net>,
    > Chris Ridd writes:
    >> On 2008-05-02 06:05:38 +0100, "Ron Ford" said:
    >>
    >>> I asked once, but I'll ask again.
    >>>
    >>> I intend to make a sun partition with a hard Sun disc latest version,
    >>> Partitionmagic and not queering windows. Am I correct that ordinary mortals
    >>> can achieve this?

    >> There's no reason why it won't work, unless you fat finger it :-)
    >>
    >> I've shrunk a Windows partition on a disk successfully before, but
    >> using parted (a linux live CD) instead of Partitionmagic.

    > I usually open terminal window in the installer and run Solaris fdisk
    > in that. I haven't had any problem doing this. I think most of the
    > problems come from using the installer to do the fdisk partitioning.

    That won't preserve any existing NTFS partitions though, will it? Parted will.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  4. Re: can't pull the trigger

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article <680fo4F2q3uanU1@mid.individual.net>,
    > Chris Ridd writes:
    >> On 2008-05-02 10:01:29 +0100, andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    >> Gabriel) said:

    >>> I usually open terminal window in the installer and run Solaris fdisk
    >>> in that. I haven't had any problem doing this. I think most of the
    >>> problems come from using the installer to do the fdisk partitioning.

    >> That won't preserve any existing NTFS partitions though, will it? Parted will.

    > It did for me.
    > It first asks if you want 100% Solaris disk.
    > If you say no, it then allows you to create/delete FDISK partitions.

    Yes, but not *resize* existing partitions, which is the OP's question.

    As I replied the first time he asked - use PQMagic or parted/gparted to
    resize stuff, but leave the space unallocated, don't try to create a
    Solaris partition, and make sure that you /can/ create a Primary
    partition (I assume Solaris still wants a primary).

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  5. Re: can't pull the trigger

    Chris Ridd wrote:
    >Come to think of it, parted would be a cool thing to have on the
    >Indiana Live CD.

    What other ROI could Indiana offer Sun?

    Is the Solaris Installation Check Tool integrated?

    John
    groeneld@acm.org

  6. Re: can't pull the trigger

    On 2008-05-02 17:03:15 +0100, groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) said:

    > In article <67vnkmF2qrr88U1@mid.individual.net>,
    > Chris Ridd wrote:
    >> Come to think of it, parted would be a cool thing to have on the
    >> Indiana Live CD.

    > What other ROI could Indiana offer Sun?
    >
    > Is the Solaris Installation Check Tool integrated?

    I've just got around to trying 2008.05 on a couple of boxes and the
    answer is basically "yes".

    It is a GNOME app rather than a Java app - so it looks a whole lot
    better - but it does appear to have the same sort of functionality as
    the installation check tool. It even merits an obvious icon on the
    default desktop.

    Nice job, guys.

    Cheers,

    Chris