Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot - Solaris

This is a discussion on Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot - Solaris ; I have an old Dell 500SC which has been running Sol 10 perfectly for quite a while. I've performed a standard upgrade a few times without problems and it's currently running a fully patched 08/07. However, when I try to ...

  1. Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    I have an old Dell 500SC which has been running Sol 10 perfectly for
    quite a while. I've performed a standard upgrade a few times without
    problems and it's currently running a fully patched 08/07. However,
    when I try to boot off the 05/08 DVD (which boots fine in a VMware
    machine), it gets past the grub screen and tries to load the kernel
    off the DVD and hangs at the license line. With verbosity, the last
    line I get is:

    using default device instance data

    I've tried the user-acpi-options settings and disabling everything
    likely in the BIOS but no luck - it always hangs at the same place.
    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    In article <2384ae16-80e7-4374-847f-6379cfca77ca@j33g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
    philkime wrote:
    >I have an old Dell 500SC which has been running Sol 10 perfectly for
    >quite a while. I've performed a standard upgrade a few times without
    >problems and it's currently running a fully patched 08/07. However,
    >when I try to boot off the 05/08 DVD (which boots fine in a VMware
    >machine), it gets past the grub screen and tries to load the kernel
    >off the DVD and hangs at the license line. With verbosity, the last

    I just hung a Pentium 3 test machine at the same place after applying
    127128-11 released yesterday, which I believe is integrated with
    S10 5/08.

    Added the patch to the ignore list in PCA's pca.conf until its
    withdrawn.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    On Apr 29, 8:27 pm, groen...@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) wrote:

    > I just hung a Pentium 3 test machine at the same place after applying
    > 127128-11 released yesterday, which I believe is integrated with
    > S10 5/08.
    >
    > Added the patch to the ignore list in PCA's pca.conf until its
    > withdrawn.

    Hmm, in that case I need to make a new miniroot for the DVD without
    this patch? I only have one SOL10 machine so I can't do anything with
    flars etc. Disks aren't set up for LIveUpgrade either - has to be DVD.

    PK

  4. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) writes:

    > In article <2384ae16-80e7-4374-847f-6379cfca77ca@j33g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
    > philkime wrote:
    >>I have an old Dell 500SC which has been running Sol 10 perfectly for
    >>quite a while. I've performed a standard upgrade a few times without
    >>problems and it's currently running a fully patched 08/07. However,
    >>when I try to boot off the 05/08 DVD (which boots fine in a VMware
    >>machine), it gets past the grub screen and tries to load the kernel
    >>off the DVD and hangs at the license line. With verbosity, the last

    > I just hung a Pentium 3 test machine at the same place after applying
    > 127128-11 released yesterday, which I believe is integrated with
    > S10 5/08.
    >
    > Added the patch to the ignore list in PCA's pca.conf until its
    > withdrawn.

    I doubt that this is kernel itself. I have a similar problem with
    2xCPU old machine that I reported several days ago to the list.
    It hangs at the same place when booted from the DVD.

    But, the 127128-11 kernel boots fine from the hard drive.

  5. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    In article <87r6cn1wlt.fsf@deviant.kiev.zoral.com.ua>,
    Kostik Belousov wrote:
    >I doubt that this is kernel itself. I have a similar problem with
    >2xCPU old machine that I reported several days ago to the list.
    >It hangs at the same place when booted from the DVD.
    >
    >But, the 127128-11 kernel boots fine from the hard drive.

    When I patchrm 127128-11 from my dual socket P3 (an ASUS CUV4X-DLS)
    it boots.

    But 127128-11 is queer: it will only apply in single-user mode.

    Hopefully someone with more time will file a service order.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  6. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    On Apr 29, 9:28 pm, philkime wrote:
    > On Apr 29, 8:27 pm, groen...@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) wrote:
    > > I just hung a Pentium 3 test machine at the same place after applying
    > > 127128-11 released yesterday, which I believe is integrated with
    > > S10 5/08.
    > > Added the patch to the ignore list in PCA's pca.conf until its
    > > withdrawn.

    But its the "new" kernel on the DVD right? so....

    > Hmm, in that case I need to make a new miniroot for the DVD without
    > this patch? I only have one SOL10 machine so I can't do anything with
    > flars etc. Disks aren't set up for LIveUpgrade either - has to be DVD.

    Have a look at the 14 NOTEs for this kernel patch. It might help.
    Otherwise it would seem that you stuck with patching update 4 for now.
    The changes in Update 5 may have little relevance to an older machine
    anyway??
    So no biggie.

  7. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    In article <5968f57a-26bd-4be0-9852-b179b8df2ffc@x19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    wrote:
    >Otherwise it would seem that you stuck with patching update 4 for now.

    Yes.

    >The changes in Update 5 may have little relevance to an older machine
    >anyway??
    >So no biggie.

    No biggie for existing Solaris 10 customers with supported, legacy
    Pentium 3 hardware, at least until Sun starts shipping S10 patches which
    depend on 127128.

    Big biggie for new customers with supported, legacy Pentium 3 hardware.

    Any sign of a BugID yet?

    BTW no sign in the S10 5/08 release notes that P2 and P3 support
    is going away in Solaris Next.

    But I see that Intel is giving a keynote at JavaONE so may be Anil Gadre
    and company has decided to leave it to Intel and AMD to make the case
    to moving to Sun's modern x64 systems.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  8. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    On Apr 30, 8:32 am, groen...@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) wrote:
    > In article <5968f57a-26bd-4be0-9852-b179b8df2...@x19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    > wrote:
    > >Otherwise it would seem that you stuck with patching update 4 for now.

    > Yes.
    > >The changes in Update 5 may have little relevance to an older machine
    > >anyway??
    > >So no biggie.

    > No biggie for existing Solaris 10 customers with supported, legacy
    > Pentium 3 hardware, at least until Sun starts shipping S10 patches which
    > depend on 127128.

    That "depends" on whether the Installation Notes have workarounds
    already.. : >
    One workaround (boot in 32 bit mode) can be attempted surely.

    > Big biggie for new customers with supported, legacy Pentium 3 hardware.

    Whats been added to Update 5 that something this ancient would use I
    wonder?

    > Any sign of a BugID yet?

    If the workarounds work then there isnt really a bug.

    > BTW no sign in the S10 5/08 release notes that P2 and P3 support
    > is going away in Solaris Next.
    >

    > But I see that Intel is giving a keynote at JavaONE so may be Anil Gadre
    > and company has decided to leave it to Intel and AMD to make the case
    > to moving to Sun's modern x64 systems.

    Guys like that dont even live on the same planet as us.. : /

  9. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    In article <00d99ceb-6ca3-4aac-a0d4-6bba73698bad@p39g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
    wrote:
    >Whats been added to Update 5 that something this ancient would use I
    >wonder?

    I don't believe its possible for current or potential customers to
    download Update 4 for their legacy supported hardware.

    >If the workarounds work then there isnt really a bug.

    What work-around?

    >Guys like that dont even live on the same planet as us.. : /

    The Ed Zander business model didn't work out well for Sun.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  10. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    usenetpersongerryt@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 30, 8:32 am, groen...@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) wrote:
    >> In article <5968f57a-26bd-4be0-9852-b179b8df2...@x19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    >> wrote:
    >>> Otherwise it would seem that you stuck with patching update 4 for now.

    >> Yes.
    >>> The changes in Update 5 may have little relevance to an older machine
    >>> anyway??
    >>> So no biggie.

    >> No biggie for existing Solaris 10 customers with supported, legacy
    >> Pentium 3 hardware, at least until Sun starts shipping S10 patches which
    >> depend on 127128.

    > That "depends" on whether the Installation Notes have workarounds
    > already.. : >
    > One workaround (boot in 32 bit mode) can be attempted surely.

    On a P3? You don't have any other choice!

    Maybe it's a ruse to make sure people plan for LU...

    --
    Ian Collins.

  11. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    I have a tricky problem now. I wanted to see if 127128-11 would apply
    and it did but it is certainly the culprit and the machine no longer
    boots, hanging at the same place as the 05/08 install DVD.

    So, I booted into failsafe to remove the patch but it won't remove
    since of course it can't start the non-global zone I have on there.
    So, I tried the -G flag to patchrm but of course, the patch included
    packages with the ALLZONES flag set so it won't work with the -G flag.
    Catch-22.

    Any ideas?

    I did split the root mirror before I applied it but I cannot for the
    life of me work out how to get the machine to boot of the other disk
    with grub.

  12. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) writes:

    > In article
    > <2384ae16-80e7-4374-847f-6379cfca77ca@j33g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
    > philkime wrote:
    >>I have an old Dell 500SC which has been running Sol 10 perfectly for
    >>quite a while. I've performed a standard upgrade a few times without
    >>problems and it's currently running a fully patched 08/07. However,
    >>when I try to boot off the 05/08 DVD (which boots fine in a VMware
    >>machine), it gets past the grub screen and tries to load the kernel
    >>off the DVD and hangs at the license line. With verbosity, the last

    > I just hung a Pentium 3 test machine at the same place after
    > applying 127128-11 released yesterday, which I believe is integrated
    > with S10 5/08.

    I've just hung up my Pentium 3 box after patching to 127128-11.
    Previously it was U4 with a rather recent patch cluster. I've called
    up USA4SUN to see what they have to say about it.

    I'll post my results here, when I have something.

    --
    -TimS

    Tim Stewart
    Lead UNIX Systems Administrator
    Ciena Corporation
    Alpharetta, GA, USA
    tstewart@ciena.com

  13. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    Hello again,

    Tim Stewart writes:

    > groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) writes:
    >
    >> In article
    >> <2384ae16-80e7-4374-847f-6379cfca77ca@j33g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
    >> philkime wrote:
    >>>I have an old Dell 500SC which has been running Sol 10 perfectly for
    >>>quite a while. I've performed a standard upgrade a few times without
    >>>problems and it's currently running a fully patched 08/07. However,
    >>>when I try to boot off the 05/08 DVD (which boots fine in a VMware
    >>>machine), it gets past the grub screen and tries to load the kernel
    >>>off the DVD and hangs at the license line. With verbosity, the last

    >> I just hung a Pentium 3 test machine at the same place after
    >> applying 127128-11 released yesterday, which I believe is integrated
    >> with S10 5/08.

    > I've just hung up my Pentium 3 box after patching to 127128-11.
    > Previously it was U4 with a rather recent patch cluster. I've called
    > up USA4SUN to see what they have to say about it.
    >
    > I'll post my results here, when I have something.

    I called USA4SUN and they suggested a workaround that works on my
    system. Append `-kd' to the kernel line in GRUB to enter kmdb upon
    boot, and type `cmi_no_init/W1', and then `:c' - example listed below:

    Welcome to kmdb
    kmdb: unable to determine terminal type: assuming `vt100'
    [0]> cmi_no_init/W1
    cmi_no_init: 0 = 0x1
    [0]> :c
    SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_127128-11 32-bit
    Copyright 1983-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Use is subject to license terms.
    Hostname: bitbox

    Everything seems to be functioning on this system. The case is still
    open with Sun and I'm going to give them as much information as I can
    to help them debug.

    I'll post more news as I find it.

    --
    -TimS

    Tim Stewart
    Lead UNIX Systems Administrator
    Ciena Corporation
    Alpharetta, GA, USA
    tstewart@ciena.com

  14. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes:

    > You could make that change permanent by adding following to
    > /etc/system once you get the system up:
    >
    > set cmi_no_init=1

    Great, I'll do that. Thanks!

    --
    -TimS

    Tim Stewart
    Lead UNIX Systems Administrator
    Ciena Corporation
    Alpharetta, GA, USA
    tstewart@ciena.com

  15. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    In article <87lk2tnw5p.fsf@thinko.stoo.org>,
    Tim Stewart wrote:
    >> I've just hung up my Pentium 3 box after patching to 127128-11.
    >> Previously it was U4 with a rather recent patch cluster. I've called
    >> up USA4SUN to see what they have to say about it.
    >>
    >> I'll post my results here, when I have something.

    >I called USA4SUN and they suggested a workaround that works on my
    >system. Append `-kd' to the kernel line in GRUB to enter kmdb upon

    Thank you very much for filing a service order on this bug!

    Do you have a BugID?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  16. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    On May 2, 1:52 am, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

    > You could make that change permanent by adding following to /etc/system
    > once you get the system up:
    >
    > set cmi_no_init=1

    I decided to do this properly and set up a LU environment on a
    mirrored pair of slices. I then upgraded this to 05/08 and it hung as
    expected due to 127128-11. Using kmdb as described, it booted and
    after adding the above to /etc/system, it booted without problems.
    Many thanks to all concerned. I am not sure what impact disabling the
    CPU feature init has but I can't see anything noticeable so far. I
    also wanted to point out that LU upgrades to 05/08 require patch
    137322-01 (x86) first otherwise the upgrade will report that 600+
    packages failed to install because they are in an updated bzip format
    which this patch provides. That caught me the first time I did the
    upgrade. It is in the release notes for 05/08 but not in a
    particularly obvious place.

  17. Re: Sol 10 05/08 upgrade - hangs on DVD boot

    > I called USA4SUN and they suggested a workaround that works on my
    > system. *Append `-kd' to the kernel line in GRUB to enter kmdb upon
    > boot, and type `cmi_no_init/W1', and then `:c' - example listed below:

    > * * Welcome to kmdb
    > * * kmdb: unable to determine terminal type: assuming `vt100'
    > * * [0]>cmi_no_init/W1
    > * *cmi_no_init: * *0 * * * * * * * = * * * 0x1
    > * * [0]> :c
    > * * SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_127128-11 32-bit
    > * * Copyright 1983-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc. *All rights reserved.
    > * * Use is subject to license terms.
    > * * Hostname: bitbox
    > * * ...

    Thanks. This fixed the hang on boot issue for me after 127128-11. My
    box is Dell Optiplex GX150 - Pentium III.

    --
    i5mast

+ Reply to Thread