bundle of joy - Solaris

This is a discussion on bundle of joy - Solaris ; I received a piece of mail today that would be netflix if they delivered porn: a sun disc in the fedex wrapper. I'm new to solaris, but not usenet. I have Ian Collins in my killfile not because I don't ...

  1. bundle of joy

    I received a piece of mail today that would be netflix if they delivered
    porn: a sun disc in the fedex wrapper.

    I'm new to solaris, but not usenet. I have Ian Collins in my killfile not
    because I don't like him.

    Anyways, I'm looking for tips to install solaris on xp with partitionmagic
    7.something overseeing partitions. Anyone done this before?
    --
    "Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you
    and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most

    ~~ Butch Han****

  2. Re: bundle of joy

    Ron Ford wrote:
    > I received a piece of mail today that would be netflix if they delivered
    > porn: a sun disc in the fedex wrapper.
    >
    > I'm new to solaris, but not usenet. I have Ian Collins in my killfile not
    > because I don't like him.
    >
    > Anyways, I'm looking for tips to install solaris on xp with partitionmagic
    > 7.something overseeing partitions. Anyone done this before?

    Yes.

    First resize your XP partition(s), and make sure you have no more than 3
    partitions, Solaris 10 requires a primary partition.

    Don't try to use pqmgic to create the S10 partition, make sure that the
    space on disk, 20G or so (that's just a number pulled out of my arse, 6G
    is all that you really need), is unallocated.

    Boot the DVD, fill in the blanks.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  3. Re: bundle of joy

    Ron Ford wrote:
    > I received a piece of mail today that would be netflix if they delivered
    > porn: a sun disc in the fedex wrapper.
    >
    > I'm new to solaris, but not usenet. I have Ian Collins in my killfile not
    > because I don't like him.
    >
    > Anyways, I'm looking for tips to install solaris on xp with partitionmagic
    > 7.something overseeing partitions. Anyone done this before?

    don't do it.

    one os per machine.

    anything else is complex, and one os will lose in the end, somehow.

  4. Re: bundle of joy

    "Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
    > Ron Ford wrote:
    >> I received a piece of mail today that would be netflix if they delivered
    >> porn: a sun disc in the fedex wrapper.
    >>
    >> I'm new to solaris, but not usenet. I have Ian Collins in my killfile
    >> not
    >> because I don't like him.
    >>
    >> Anyways, I'm looking for tips to install solaris on xp with
    >> partitionmagic
    >> 7.something overseeing partitions. Anyone done this before?

    > don't do it.
    >
    > one os per machine.
    >
    > anything else is complex, and one os will lose in the end, somehow.

    I'm still backing up data and gathering information. If I went the whole 9
    yards with solaris, how am I gonna know what drivers I need? There always
    seems to be a struggle for my 56K Motorola modem. That's why I knocked out
    my last linux try with ubuntu. You'd think that for such an old technology,
    there'd be drivers lying around everywhere.

    Now that I think about it, with the possible exception of the modem, I don't
    have much that's windows-specific. I'd miss my fortran IDE. Do you cover
    these bases by having multiple computers?
    --
    "Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you
    and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most
    awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."

    ~~ Butch Han****

  5. Re: bundle of joy

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:33:25 +0000, Cydrome Leader wrote:

    > Ron Ford wrote:
    >> I received a piece of mail today that would be netflix if they delivered
    >> porn: a sun disc in the fedex wrapper.
    >>
    >> I'm new to solaris, but not usenet. I have Ian Collins in my killfile not
    >> because I don't like him.
    >>
    >> Anyways, I'm looking for tips to install solaris on xp with partitionmagic
    >> 7.something overseeing partitions. Anyone done this before?

    > don't do it.

    Disagree

    > one os per machine.

    As many as you like

    > anything else is complex, and one os will lose in the end, somehow.

    Running more than one OS is (IMO) fairly trivial, and so is running
    multiple versions.

    Start here

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features...oot_laptop.jsp

    Lots if usefull stuff here
    http://multiboot.solaris-x86.org/

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  6. Re: bundle of joy

    On Apr 26, 9:09 pm, "Ron Ford" wrote:
    > "Cydrome Leader" wrote in message

    > > Ron Ford wrote:
    > >> I received a piece of mail today that would be netflix if they delivered
    > >> porn: a sun disc in the fedex wrapper.

    > >> I'm new to solaris, but not usenet. I have Ian Collins in my killfile
    > >> not because I don't like him.

    ??
    > >> Anyways, I'm looking for tips to install solaris on xp with
    > >> partitionmagic
    > >> 7.something overseeing partitions. Anyone done this before?

    > > don't do it.
    > > one os per machine.

    Well....
    > > anything else is complex, and one os will lose in the end, somehow.

    Not like he's doing mission crtical stuff here.
    > I'm still backing up data and gathering information. If I went the whole 9
    > yards with solaris, how am I gonna know what drivers I need? There always
    > seems to be a struggle for my 56K Motorola modem. That's why I knocked out
    > my last linux try with ubuntu. You'd think that for such an old technology,
    > there'd be drivers lying around everywhere.

    Youd think with such old technologies they'd be removing drivers more
    like...

    > Now that I think about it, with the possible exception of the modem, I don't
    > have much that's windows-specific. I'd miss my fortran IDE. Do you cover
    > these bases by having multiple computers?

    Consider VirtualBox? No need for PMagic or any other FeeCee hack. What
    you do need is
    a bit of diskspace and maybe 2 GB of RAM.

  7. Re: bundle of joy

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, usenetpersongerryt@gmail.com wrote:

    > Consider VirtualBox? No need for PMagic or any other FeeCee hack. What
    > you do need is a bit of diskspace and maybe 2 GB of RAM.

    VirtualBox works like a charm. I've successfully run Windoze XP Pro
    inside a Solaris-hoested VirtualBox. Well, as successfully as one
    CAN run Windoze... :-)

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  8. Re: bundle of joy

    On 2008-04-27 19:45:49 +0100, Rich Teer said:

    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, usenetpersongerryt@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Consider VirtualBox? No need for PMagic or any other FeeCee hack. What
    >> you do need is a bit of diskspace and maybe 2 GB of RAM.

    > VirtualBox works like a charm. I've successfully run Windoze XP Pro
    > inside a Solaris-hoested VirtualBox. Well, as successfully as one
    > CAN run Windoze... :-)

    Can it run Windows installed in another disk partition, or does it only
    work from a virtual disk?

    Cheers,

    Chris

  9. Re: bundle of joy

    On Apr 27, 11:45 am, Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, usenetpersonger...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Consider VirtualBox? No need for PMagic or any other FeeCee hack. What
    > > you do need is a bit of diskspace and maybe 2 GB of RAM.

    > VirtualBox works like a charm. I've successfully run Windoze XP Pro
    > inside a Solaris-hosted VirtualBox. Well, as successfully as one
    > CAN run Windoze... :-)

    As have I. FreeCell runs well.... The best thing about VBox is its
    FREE - at least so far..
    Its not as feature-rich as VMWare Workstation or even
    Player AFAICT but its certainly good enough for the OP's requirements.
    Studio 12 comes with an IDE even : >

  10. Re: bundle of joy

    In article <67k2k2F2p1jkfU1@mid.individual.net>,
    Chris Ridd wrote:
    >Can it run Windows installed in another disk partition, or does it only

    Yes.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  11. Re: bundle of joy

    On 2008-04-28 14:18:17 +0100, groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) said:

    > In article <67k2k2F2p1jkfU1@mid.individual.net>,
    > Chris Ridd wrote:
    >> Can it run Windows installed in another disk partition, or does it only

    > Yes.

    Thanks John.

    Cheers,

    Chris