Solaris 10 update 05/08 is released - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 update 05/08 is released - Solaris ; Solaris 10 update 05/08 is released. http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp /Jorgen...

  1. Solaris 10 update 05/08 is released

    Solaris 10 update 05/08 is released.
    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp
    /Jorgen

  2. Re: Solaris 10 update 05/08 is released

    Jorgen Moquist wrote:
    > Solaris 10 update 05/08 is released.
    > http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp
    > /Jorgen

    Thanks Jorgen:

    I'm a Solaris lover who's been stuck in Windows development
    for 4 years.

    I assembled a budget Athlon X2 system last week, put XP on
    half the drive and saved the other half for Solaris.

    The previous Solaris 10 release didn't play nice with the
    Win 2K drive on my Pentium 3 system, and I wound up re-
    installing Win 2K in order to have the two OSs on my machine.

    The Pentium 3 is a fancy 3 SCSI sytem with the Solaris root
    partition on one drive and Win 2K's boot on another.

    Being a budget system, this PC has one 200 Gb IDE with
    Win XP on the first 100 GB partition.

    I was told Win 2K might have more problems living with
    Solaris than XP does.

    Can someone tell me what to expect, in terms of being able
    to use XP, if I install Solaris on the second partition of
    the drive?

    XP is my bread and butter right now. I re-loaded it
    several times over the weekend, once being screwed over by
    having Microsoft's File and Settings Transfer Wizard corrupt
    some files on the drive. Now XP's working and I'd rather not
    spend another day rebuilding it as a result of loading Solaris.

    Thanks
    Larry

  3. Re: Solaris 10 update 05/08 is released

    Larry Lindstrom wrote:

    > Can someone tell me what to expect, in terms of being able
    > to use XP, if I install Solaris on the second partition of
    > the drive?
    >
    > XP is my bread and butter right now. I re-loaded it
    > several times over the weekend, once being screwed over by
    > having Microsoft's File and Settings Transfer Wizard corrupt
    > some files on the drive. Now XP's working and I'd rather not
    > spend another day rebuilding it as a result of loading Solaris.

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features...oot_laptop.jsp

    Is worth a read.

    If I were in your position, I'd install the latest Solaris Express and
    put XP in a Virtual Box VM. Or, if your hardware is up to the task, use
    XvM.

    --
    Ian Collins.

+ Reply to Thread